Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire dust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very much would appreciate a response from others who might have the same experience. I know there are wheel alignment posts out there but this post is looking for specific input.

I only have a few hundred miles on my car and this issue became evident from the first drive home from delivery. My rocker panels and wheel wells are black with powder. I have washed the car and the powder returns. I have another white vehicle that drives the same Florida roads which are kind to tires (no pot holes, no construction in my area) and no black powder occurring on that vehicle. Does anyone out there have recurring black powder as I do? Can the alignment from the factory be that far off?
Specific input is appreciated.

It is the same here in California. I think it is the aerodynamic of the car. The rocker panels, the wheel wells, and the back of the car would always be covered in black dust 2 or 3 days after washing. Yeah I have a white Model 3 too. I knew I should have picked the midnight silver color LOL.

It’s not dirt. It’s not air pollution. No smokestack industry here. We don’t even have smog inspection for cars. Also not the case for my Lexus crossover that drives the same roads. The Lexus in white also. Interestingly, lots of tire noise from right front. Hmmm... related?

Attachments

• 4AF0AACF-BE62-4801-9875-D2ED83C39BA3.jpeg
    4AF0AACF-BE62-4801-9875-D2ED83C39BA3.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Not a bit of brake dust...or any black dust at all driving around Cape Coral area. Even driving back from north Georgia where I put mud flaps on to deal with red dust on our mountain dirt and gravel roads I couldn’t detect any brake dust around the wheels. Only use the brakes once or twice a day though so might depend how you drive. About 5000 miles on the car.

The dust shows you have reached full conciseness. If you are ever separated from your car you will be an empty shell of who you once were. (sorry for the horrible His Dark Materials reference)

In all seriousness though might be a idea to get paint protection film on the rocker panels. I did on mine and after seeing issues some are having I am glad I did it.

• Funny
Reactions: house9 and outdoors
It can’t be from the road. I have a white Lexus with no issue. Can’t tell about tire wear, car only has 300 miles. I made a service appointment for May 29. I installed splash guards and door seals to keep it limited to wheel wells and front of splash guards.

I didn’t get tire dust, but the car being out of alignment caused my car to have a lot of tire noise:

My biggest improvement with road noise

It’s not dirt. It’s not air pollution. No smokestack industry here. We don’t even have smog inspection for cars. Also not the case for my Lexus crossover that drives the same roads. The Lexus in white also. Interestingly, lots of tire noise from right front. Hmmm... related?