Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire fail!

What should I request

• Free Tesla air compressor to fill up thin tires once a week because I have new wheels/tires coming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other swag and free stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my previous life I managed tire stores for Goodyear and Firestone. Nails, screws and glass penetrating tires (along with many other objects that penetrate tires) are considered road hazards. Road Hazards are specifically not covered by any warranty and you typically will need to replace the tire if the tire cannot be properly repaired. When you purchase any car you usually receive a separate tire warranty issued by the tire manufacturer. Sorry but I would vote for "sorry but you'll need to purchase new tires and Tesla owes you nothing".

In my previous life I managed tire stores for Goodyear and Firestone. Nails, screws and glass penetrating tires (along with many other objects that penetrate tires) are considered road hazards. Road Hazards are specifically not covered by any warranty and you typically will need to replace the tire if the tire cannot be properly repaired. When you purchase any car you usually receive a separate tire warranty issued by the tire manufacturer. Sorry but I would vote for "sorry but you'll need to purchase new tires and Tesla owes you nothing".
The patches failed after I ran over two nails. They should warrant the patch. They can’t predict road hazards.

The patches failed after I ran over two nails. They should warrant the patch. They can’t predict road hazards.
....failed after you ran over nails? hope that isn't what you meant...

patches shouldn't fail (unless you are running over nails with them). I have a patch on a Re71R tire that I autocross on..It had a plug for a month or so before I had a chance to get a patch on it...for free at the local tire shop I use ($15 normally but they always comp stuff like that)
2 failed patches says they don't know how to patch a tire correctly or they are using some bad patches?
I'd at least get the patch work $ returned + don't ever buy tires from Tesla.

Reactions: C141medic
....failed after you ran over nails? hope that isn't what you meant...

patches shouldn't fail (unless you are running over nails with them). I have a patch on a Re71R tire that I autocross on..It had a plug for a month or so before I had a chance to get a patch on it...for free at the local tire shop I use ($15 normally but they always comp stuff like that)
2 failed patches says they don't know how to patch a tire correctly or they are using some bad patches?
I'd at least get the patch work $ returned + don't ever buy tires from Tesla.
sorry, i got them patched because I ran over two nails.$280 from tire rack vs $380 from Tesla per tire. $800 for two crap continentals, would rather spend $1k for 4 PS4Ss

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
FWIW, I saw a set of four OEM wheels with the OEM Michelins on ebay the other night for $1200 including shipping. An obvious screaming deal for whoever may be interested in a backup set of wheels and pre-buying their next tires. I feel like the metal of the 18" rims is 'soft' in terms of how much damage I'm seeing on the wheels already (not just curb rash, but an odd gouge out of one of the rims that could only have come from some sort of road hazard flying up at it and near-missing the tire). This bugs me, but not enough to build an inventory of rims in my garage.

FWIW, I saw a set of four OEM wheels with the OEM Michelins on ebay the other night for $1200 including shipping. An obvious screaming deal for whoever may be interested in a backup set of wheels and pre-buying their next tires. I feel like the metal of the 18" rims is 'soft' in terms of how much damage I'm seeing on the wheels already (not just curb rash, but an odd gouge out of one of the rims that could only have come from some sort of road hazard flying up at it and near-missing the tire). This bugs me, but not enough to build an inventory of rims in my garage.
Personally, I do not love the 18s. I am on the 19" rims now, soon to be upgraded to some very special wheels. Ive also seen 18s go for $900-$1000

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
@zackmilo

Tesla is the worst place to get wheels, tires, and tire service I think and they know it. :/ Might as well go 3rd party all the way.

However, I bet these bad boys eat nails for breakfast.

upload_2018-8-16_13-47-19.jpeg

Personally, I do not love the 18s. I am on the 19" rims now, soon to be upgraded to some very special wheels. Ive also seen 18s go for $900-$1000
Yeah that's why the 4 rims plus 4 tires (I think they had ~400mi of use on them) were bundled for just $1200. That's essentially getting the rims ~free. Crazytown. When it is getting to be time for me to replace my OEM tires for the first time, I will be scanning ebay for similar rims+tires deals at that point in time. Bit of a no-brainer for me, since my uncovered 18s are already getting beat up.
(I opted to keep the 18s for more sidewall=less rough ride, for cost reasons vs the OEM 19s, and because I like contrasting colors so find that the OEM 19s wash-out vs silver or white paint which were my two possible paint colors.)

It's concerning that someone crying over a patched tire is somewhat of a spokesman on social media. Patches are generally done as a favor to a customer, nobody expects that they will last long. Double-posting this as "tire fail" is begging Tesla to not perform this favor in the future.

@zackmilo

Tesla is the worst place to get wheels, tires, and tire service I think and they know it. :/ Might as well go 3rd party all the way.

However, I bet these bad boys eat nails for breakfast.

View attachment 326341
When it was time to replace my OEM Michelins, I got a quote from Rocklin Service Center and also checked Tire Rack prices. Tesla was a little bit cheaper so I had them done there. They also did a free four wheel alignment. I love Tesla service!

2 months ago, I come out to my car to go the canyons and see tire pressure warnings and see 2 nails in my tires. They were right in the middle and I take it right to Tesla west la. They say they can patch it for $50 each (better than $300 each for new tires so I obviously said yes. Fast forward to Sunday and I have two tire pressure warnings on the same two right tires they patched. Monday comes and I go on vacation and drop my car off at service to get the window fixed while I’m gone so I don’t have to deal with loaners and lyfts. They call me Tuesday and say the patches have failed causing the leaks in two tires and it will be $380 each for two new tires. I immediately said no way and there should be a warranty of some sort because two months is a little ridiculous for a patch to fail. What should I do? Anyone have the same experiences with Tesla patches?
Your "poll" doesn't have a option for "You get nothing!"
You got nails in the tire. The tires are not warrantied for nails.
They patched them. The patches don't have any warranty.
I think you should ask them for a pony !