Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UrsS

That's why we live
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2017
Placerville, CA
Scattered throughout other threads are comments and questions about tire noise and which tire are less noisy. Well, I did quite some research, mostly reading comments/reviews of tire customers of various tire vendors.
There was one tire that stood out because many reviews stated that the tire was unexpectedly quiet. This tire was the Cooper Zeon RS3 G1 (actually both Cooper tires fitting the Model S had similar reviews). So I went and put some of these tires on my car and low and behold they are substantially quieter that the Goodyear Eagles with the silence foam or the Michelins. The biggest difference is on rough pavement. We have so far only 500 miles on them, but so far so good. :)

I have the Michelin A/S 3+ as replacements for my original MXM4. I find them sufficiently quiet, as I usually have the radio on and wind noise is the overwhelming external noise.

My tires are especially quiet at red lights (and no wind noise, either)...

Scattered throughout other threads are comments and questions about tire noise and which tire are less noisy. Well, I did quite some research, mostly reading comments/reviews of tire customers of various tire vendors.
There was one tire that stood out because many reviews stated that the tire was unexpectedly quiet. This tire was the Cooper Zeon RS3 G1 (actually both Cooper tires fitting the Model S had similar reviews). So I went and put some of these tires on my car and low and behold they are substantially quieter that the Goodyear Eagles with the silence foam or the Michelins. The biggest difference is on rough pavement. We have so far only 500 miles on them, but so far so good. :)

I have the Michelin A/S 3+ as replacements for my original MXM4. I find them sufficiently quiet, as I usually have the radio on and wind noise is the overwhelming external noise.

My tires are especially quiet at red lights (and no wind noise, either)...

How is the tread wear on these tires? A lot of my searches for summer tires on my MS comes back to the Coopers, Michelins, and Pirellis. I have dedicated winter tires already, so looking for some rubber that I can squeeze 3 years out of them. In my 1st year of ownership, I put about 19K miles in non-winter.

How is the tread wear on these tires?
Just responding now as a bookmark for when I have the answer in a few days.

Currently I have about 20K on the A/S 3+'s. Eyeballing the tread, it doesn't look great, but I didn't measure. I'm taking my car in for its 4 year service tomorrow, so I should have a tread measurement when I get it back. I'll let you know.

I saw this article yesterday on my Juicebox app:

Pirelli Showcases Performance Tires Built for Electric Cars

Essentially tire manufacturers are somehow designing tires for EVs where roll-resistance, tire noise, and instant-torque characteristics are strongly considered. It suggests that they are trying to have it all in comfort, noise, longevity, grip, and range. I'm not sure how they accomplish it or if non-EVs would benefit greatly from the same tire, but we will see.

I've been reading up on the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack. Anyone have intel on those? dBA ratings would be a nice thing to know.

I had the wife's S90D in for 3 year service and the tech recommended 3 new tires for $850. Car has 25,500 miles on it. Said the tread depth was down to 6/32".

I said no. I went to Pep Boys where I had one replaced for $140 about a year ago and Louie, who said he'd put tires on a lot of Tesla's, claimed that Tesla's averaged 13,000 to 15,000 miles before they replaced their tires, and that the most miles he had ever seen was 20,000 a one set of tires.

Again, we have 25,500, with 6/32", and I'm not replacing them right away. He said that the $140 tire was not the one with the sound deadening foam in it. I checked with Quest at Tesla Service (Buena Park) and he said the ones with the foam cost a lot more.

Wife wants to replace with the same tire that came with it, but I'm interested in the latest in quiet tire tech.

Again, we have 25,500, with 6/32", and I'm not replacing them right away. He said that the $140 tire was not the one with the sound deadening foam in it. I checked with Quest at Tesla Service (Buena Park) and he said the ones with the foam cost a lot more.

Interesting. I have over 29,000 miles on original OEM tires that are very evenly worn (rotated twice by Tesla service) at 4 or 5/32 tread remaining, car has coils not air suspension. My major issue is they have gotten noisy.

Looking for recommendations, will likely buy at Discount Tire or Les Schwab.