Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire particle problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend sent me a link to an article regarding tire particles flying off the tires because the vehicles are heavier than regular vehicles. The article says that Model Y tires produce about 26% more tire polution than regular vehicles. Not sure I believe this. Here is the link to the article he sent me

I am not getting rid of my Model Y. Heck, I just got it 6 weeks ago. What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

That your friend must have an EV problem to be sending you an article like this, since just from a cursory glance through the article I find this statement:

================================================

Another way to reduce tire pollution is to trade big, heavy cars for smaller and lighter ones. Especially in the U.S., cars have grown significantly in size and weight in recent decades. Automakers began promoting SUVs in the 1980s, because a legal loophole allowed vehicles designated as “light trucks” to skirt fuel-efficiency regulations. Nine out of the 10 best-selling cars in the U.S. last year were trucks or SUVs, and the International Energy Agency has found that SUVs were the second largest cause of the global rise in CO2 emissions between 2010 and 2018.

=================================================

SUV's (not EVs). If your friend wants to talk about "SUVs are the issue" (and they drive an econobox vehicle, not an SUV, Truck, etc), then maybe. If not, ask yourself why they sent it to you (what discussion are you having with them where they feel they need to say "Model Y" and not "SUV")?

That your friend must have an EV problem to be sending you an article like this, since just from a cursory glance through the article I find this statement:

================================================

Another way to reduce tire pollution is to trade big, heavy cars for smaller and lighter ones. Especially in the U.S., cars have grown significantly in size and weight in recent decades. Automakers began promoting SUVs in the 1980s, because a legal loophole allowed vehicles designated as “light trucks” to skirt fuel-efficiency regulations. Nine out of the 10 best-selling cars in the U.S. last year were trucks or SUVs, and the International Energy Agency has found that SUVs were the second largest cause of the global rise in CO2 emissions between 2010 and 2018.

=================================================

SUV's (not EVs). If your friend wants to talk about "SUVs are the issue" (and they drive an econobox vehicle, not an SUV, Truck, etc), then maybe. If not, ask yourself why they sent it to you (what discussion are you having with them where they feel they need to say "Model Y" and not "SUV")?
And his wife drives an SUV. I will send him this. Thanks.

Reactions: APotatoGod
EVs really do change the way people think. All of a sudden, people care about car fires, how much fossil fuel is used making cars, what devastating effects digging up elements used in batteries is causing. And now tire pollution.
I care about not paying $6.50 a gallon for premium gas here in California. The car I got rid of got 15/20 MPG.

A friend sent me a link to an article regarding tire particles flying off the tires because the vehicles are heavier than regular vehicles. The article says that Model Y tires produce about 26% more tire polution than regular vehicles. Not sure I believe this. Here is the link to the article he sent me

I am not getting rid of my Model Y. Heck, I just got it 6 weeks ago. What do you guys think?
It's a nonsense article.
ALL vehicles using rubber-based tires throw off particulate material.
tire material compounds vary considerably. it can be argued that heavier vehicles use a harder compound, less prone to dissipation.
further, EVs in particular also use compounds that limit rolling resistance - ie harder compounds.
in short, it's not a substantive issue.

someone is playing devil's advocate. check their advertisers list.

EVs really do change the way people think. All of a sudden, people care about car fires, how much fossil fuel is used making cars, what devastating effects digging up elements used in batteries is causing. And now tire pollution.
and if those people promoting such concepts were consistent, they would be advocates for nuclear energy.
there will be naysayers and change resistance no matter what.

Model Y weighs less than a lot of SUVs and trucks out there (around 4400 lbs. for MY Long Range).

Sure, it weighs more than comparable mid-size SUV but it's not like Model Ys are the reason for tire particulate pollution. Check out the weight of these popular SUVs in comparison.

1695824793561.png

This is oil and ICE manufacturers scraping the bottom of the barrel for stories that somehow show EVs as more polluting.

Even if it's true, it's a false argument. It's like counting the dirty parts of our electric grid against EVs.

Particulate matter from tires *IS* a problem, and it's a problem for all vehicles... including bicycles, motorcycles, tractor-trailers, pickup trucks, and anything else with tires, whether ICE or EV. But that's a separate problem that we need to tackle in addition to the emissions problem that EVs are reducing.

This is oil and ICE manufacturers scraping the bottom of the barrel for stories that somehow show EVs as more polluting.

Even if it's true, it's a false argument. It's like counting the dirty parts of our electric grid against EVs.

Particulate matter from tires *IS* a problem, and it's a problem for all vehicles... including bicycles, motorcycles, tractor-trailers, pickup trucks, and anything else with tires, whether ICE or EV. But that's a separate problem that we need to tackle in addition to the emissions problem that EVs are reducing.
Thanks for that. I agree 100%.

It's an environmentalists' argument. It may get amplified by the voices you mention, but it didn't originate there.

LINK to The Atlantic

"Maybe". There are enumerable scientists, doctors, dentists, environmentalists, and many other professionals that have been funded by special interest groups for their "unbiased research".

How many opioids were legally prescribed in the last decade again?

Single* gear EVs aren't frequently changing tyre speeds as automatic or manual (stick) ICE cars do. Every change of gear has the potential to generate wear & tear on tyres as speed differences may result in mini road/tyre slippage, leading to particulates.

I'd also suggest that one pedal driving leads to less tyre particulates than braking as it tends to be gentler with braking applied for longer (no moving foot from pedal to pedal must save a fraction of a second) and I find that as a threat (reason to slow down) appears, I naturally put less pressure on the accelerator.

Some may remember when Zach & Jesse (NowYouKnow on Youtube) went on London Underground to measure particulates. Really high as tube trains run on metal wheels & using brake pads instead of regen braking. Little ability to vent these particulates so they've built up.

These kinds of arguments are passed around on facebook etc. In the UK, we have stories like this constantly spread. Another is that EVs will break multi-storey car-parks, ignoring the fact that the heaviest cars in the UK are all ICE.

*vast majority, Taycan being an exception & it only has a second gear rarely used in urban environments

Reactions: APotatoGod
It's not the political right, nor the EV haters, that are funding and pushing the PM2.5 and PM10 research and crisis story line.

"Maybe". There are enumerable scientists, doctors, dentists, environmentalists, and many other professionals that have been funded by special interest groups for their "unbiased research".

*Is* a problem or "maybe" a problem? I am probably misinterpreting, as it seems you contradict yourself by saying it's a problem and then it may be a problem. Implying that we don't know for sure because special interests fund research to get specific answers (which I 100% agree with, on many topics).

The issue with PM10 and PM2.5 alarmism is that it comes from the political left. Examples: Obama Admin, EPA, Weather Channel, etc...

Single* gear EVs aren't frequently changing tyre speeds as automatic or manual (stick) ICE cars do. Every change of gear has the potential to generate wear & tear on tyres as speed differences may result in mini road/tyre slippage, leading to particulates.

I'd also suggest that one pedal driving leads to less tyre particulates than braking as it tends to be gentler with braking applied for longer (no moving foot from pedal to pedal must save a fraction of a second) and I find that as a threat (reason to slow down) appears, I naturally put less pressure on the accelerator.
Source? (bolding mine)