Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Calibration in Classic MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a classic Model S (no tire specific pressure readings on IC), and I got new tires a few months ago. Am I supposed to re-calibrate when new tires/sensors are installed? What is the right procedure to do this?

I just checked my tire pressures, and they were down to 35 psi and I never got a warning. So I am guessing this is because I never did a calibrating when I changed tires.

There should be a TPMS reset on your MCU/touchscreen (under Vehicle??--not there now). Same on all Model S irregardless of vintage. Set up all tire pressures to the door jamb sticker when cold, then press the TPMS Reset 'button' on the touchscreen. As I recall you need to drive a bit for them to all recalibrate. Works on my 2013 S85.

BTW, side note. If you want a more modern TPMS system that works with a smartphone, look at FOBO Plus:

FOBO Tire Plus - FOBO

• Helpful
Reactions: iffatall
Just checked my S. Go to Controls > Settings > Service & Reset and you will see TPMS Reset. Been there for as long as I can remember, and through at least 40 firmware revisions (I started at 5.9.1.51.94 and I'm now on 8.1.2017.42 a88c8d5). I got my 1st replacement set of tires in 2015, and for sure it was there. Got my most recent set a couple of months ago, and still there.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thanks @JPP @tomas for your responses.

Yes, indeed I do have the button to reset it. I only asked because it says that we should only reset when wheels are changed. So I was wondering if there is any harm in resetting otherwise, or if the notification is just FYI rather than a warning. I did do it as @JPP suggested.

As I recall the old tpms sensors don’t reset from screen. You need to go to service center to have them register the new sensors with your car. They can do it in parking lot and it should be gratis.
I reset mine twice a year when I DIY swap from all seasons to winter tire/wheel set up. I have experienced some hiccups (have to do the screen reset process more than once to get them registered) but it generally works fine. Have never had to use the service center.

FYI: The TPMS "soft warning threshold" is 34 psi for 19" wheels and 36 psi for 21" wheels (North America only, Europe and Asia Pacific are higher). The "hard warning threshold" is 25 psi for both wheel diameters, in all geographic locations.

Perhaps you didn't receive notice because your tire pressures where very close, but not at, the soft warning threshold.

Here is some other, somewhat related, info from recent experience:

You need to reset the car's tire pressure sensor system whenever you change out one or more TPMS's, whether on an existing wheel, or when swapping out wheels that many owners perform, eg snow tires in winter months. That's because every TPMS has its own unique ID number. (You need a TPMS diagnostic scanner handheld tool to see these numbers, and read the TPMS, if you are so inclined.)

If you have a TPMS with a bad battery (I recently had 3 of 4 Baalong TMPS's go bad after 18 months) you will have a warning that states "Tire pressure system needs service" on your monitor . TPMS's should last at least 5-8 years before needing replacement. (Tirerack gave me a 50% discount for replacements, since I was beyond the 12 month warranty period,)

The Baalong OEM TPMS price was initially high price, then better, but now high again: about $106 each through Tesla. The same units are $50 each at Tirerack. The Baalong were used until about Oct. 2014, when Tesla changed to Continental sensors.

• Informative
Reactions: iffatall
FYI: The TPMS "soft warning threshold" is 34 psi for 19" wheels and 36 psi for 21" wheels (North America only, Europe and Asia Pacific are higher). The "hard warning threshold" is 25 psi for both wheel diameters, in all geographic locations.

Perhaps you didn't receive notice because your tire pressures where very close, but not at, the soft warning threshold.

Here is some other, somewhat related, info from recent experience:

You need to reset the car's tire pressure sensor system whenever you change out one or more TPMS's, whether on an existing wheel, or when swapping out wheels that many owners perform, eg snow tires in winter months. That's because every TPMS has its own unique ID number. (You need a TPMS diagnostic scanner handheld tool to see these numbers, and read the TPMS, if you are so inclined.)

If you have a TPMS with a bad battery (I recently had 3 of 4 Baalong TMPS's go bad after 18 months) you will have a warning that states "Tire pressure system needs service" on your monitor . TPMS's should last at least 5-8 years before needing replacement. (Tirerack gave me a 50% discount for replacements, since I was beyond the 12 month warranty period,)

The Baalong OEM TPMS price was initially high price, then better, but now high again: about $106 each through Tesla. The same units are $50 each at Tirerack. The Baalong were used until about Oct. 2014, when Tesla changed to Continental sensors.

I see so it could be that I did not need a reset. I suppose to be on the safe side, always better to a reset after a change. I suppose I cannot be worse off than before reset. I believe my sensors were indeed changed when I got new tires. I read here in the forum that there is no need to change them, only changing the rubber studs is enough, but the guy at the shop said the studs come in package with the sensors, so I let them install the new ones anyway.