Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure issue - urgent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a two-month-old p90d. The other day when I picked it up after window tinting, the low tire pressure light was on. Since the tinter was around the corner from Tesla SC, I took it over, they added some air and said they would look at the logs. Called me the next day, and said that everything was okay.

The next night, we had a rapid decrease in temp from 110 degrees F to 80. When I got in the car pressure indicator was on again showing me that the tires were low at 36 PSI. These are 21-inch tires. I drove for a bit and eventually they went up, ultimately to 40 PSI. Next morning I get the warning again. Four tires at 36 PSI (but only one showing it was a problem). Drove for a while and everything went back to normal.

Today I get in the car same thing 4 tires at 26 PSI, only one showing a yellow warning.

I marked this urgent because I am leavie on a long trip tomorrow first thing in the AM, but may have to go by ICE as I am worried about the tires on a 2000 mile trip.

Anyone else have this issue? I am in Scottsdale, so wondered if this has something to do with our weather lately?

Thanks

Those pressure readings were all from the car's TPMS sensors right? I'd check the tires with an old fashioned tire pressure gauge to rule out sensor problems...maybe the tires are OK but the sensors aren't registering correctly.

But at the end of the day, I'd say if if you have any doubts, take the ICE (assuming it's in good mechanical order).

Safe travels!

Bruce,

Those pressure readings were all from the car's TPMS sensors right? I'd check the tires with an old fashioned tire pressure gauge to rule out sensor problems...maybe the tires are OK but the sensors aren't registering correctly.

But at the end of the day, I'd say if you have any doubts, take the ICE (assuming it's in good mechanical order).

Safe travels!

Bruce,
Yes, they are from the sensors. Just checked with an old fashioned analog gauge and they are all at 40psi. Also did a reboot so we will see where we are.

If the tires are holding pressure and they are new, I would make your trip as planned and ignore the TPMS errors. There are lots of people who run snow tires without sensors during winter months so it's not big problem. If you do get a flat you will know it and to be safe carry a can of sealant so that you can make it to a tire shop.

I purchased a spare wheel and tire for our Tesla specifically for long road trips where timing is important like ferry bookings. I have not had to use it on this car but it saved the day with our BMW which didn't have a spare either.

I had the same problem two weeks after I got my car. Low pressure at 35 psi for both front 21s for three nights straight. Actual pressures were correct at 38 psi using a digital gauge. So I reset the TPMS (even though the disclaimer says not to unless you're changing wheel diameters from 21 to 19, and v.v.). Problem never returned.

I've had flaky TPMS sensors in the past. They installed a special thing in my car but I'm a really low VIN.

Most likely an antennae extension to help recieve weak signals on older (around pre-50K vin) in-wheel sensors/transmitters.

I always carry and trust my mechanical air gauge over the electronic TPMS. I have run 49psi (cold) since Jan '13 (65K miles) on my 20" (square and staggard) and 21" (square and staggard).

(yes, I need a wheel/tire intervention, please help! o_O)

Last edited:
Yes, the car wheel sensors are never as accurate as a good gauge. 21"s are more sensitive to heat fluctuations because they have less interior volume. Mine regularly vary by 3# in a day. Often more. I keep mine between 46-48 FR and 48-50, depending on the time of year and risk of potholes. I like the firmer feel and the extra security against a blowout or low pressure. Thanks to @jerry33 for the advice.

Reactions: Cowby
I have a two-month-old p90d. The other day when I picked it up after window tinting, the low tire pressure light was on. Since the tinter was around the corner from Tesla SC, I took it over, they added some air and said they would look at the logs. Called me the next day, and said that everything was okay.

The next night, we had a rapid decrease in temp from 110 degrees F to 80. When I got in the car pressure indicator was on again showing me that the tires were low at 36 PSI. These are 21-inch tires. I drove for a bit and eventually they went up, ultimately to 40 PSI. Next morning I get the warning again. Four tires at 36 PSI (but only one showing it was a problem). Drove for a while and everything went back to normal.

Today I get in the car same thing 4 tires at 26 PSI, only one showing a yellow warning.

I marked this urgent because I am leavie on a long trip tomorrow first thing in the AM, but may have to go by ICE as I am worried about the tires on a 2000 mile trip.

Anyone else have this issue? I am in Scottsdale, so wondered if this has something to do with our weather lately?

Thanks

Oh man Cr8it......if those lights start flashing while on your trip, your wife is never going to love your car!
Take her AMG.

Yes, they are from the sensors. Just checked with an old fashioned analog gauge and they are all at 40psi. Also did a reboot so we will see where we are.
I had a damaged sensor replaced after a flat tire caused by running over a rock. Prior to that, they were accurate. Ever since then, the sensors read 3-4 psi low, compared with my fancy-shmancy racing guage. I tried resetting the sensors a second time, but the same result.

I am in Gilbert and had the same exact issue when the temp dropped. Had my tires checked, all was fine. Aired them up. Happened again the next day and just let it be. Pressure went up and light went off before I got to work.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you don't have enough pressure in your tires. Friction heat and environmental heat raise the pressure of your tires. I had run mine at 50 ppi for years, no problems. Now it's 46. But I know the pressure sensors start warning near 30. In summer with hi temp swings, the pressure goes up a ways, but it seems better to let it go up: Tires can stand 10% over max pressure. They are made for it. What kills tires is underpressure and tire wall flex. Put more air in your tires and leave the gasser behind.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
We drove from Tooele, UT back to the Denver area on Sunday and experienced the same issue when we were up around the Eisenhower Tunnel. Temperatures along the drive ranged from mid 50s up to 103 or so and it was raining from Silverthorne to Idaho Springs. I believe that the TPMS when we were at the highest elevation was 36 but gradually went back to 40 as we got down to lower elevations of 5900 feet.

My 2 rear tires have been doing funny stuff like this to me. The tire pressure light came on. Both rear tires at 36. I filled them up, went to SC and we couldn't see any nails etc. then like a month later, same thing, both rears back down to 36. Can a slow leak really be that slow?

Anyway, now I always have a really high quality gauge (the kind with a really accurate dial, plus an air release button, so you can fill past your target PSI using a crude compressor, and then bleed a little air out to get back to your exact desired PSI), plus a lighter socket powered compressor in my frunk. I'd say carry the same on a 2000 mile trip. Seeing that light is super disconcerting. And topping up anytime you want is quite easy.

Most likely an antennae extension to help recieve weak signals on older (around pre-50K vin) in-wheel sensors/transmitters.

I always carry and trust my mechanical air gauge over the electronic TPMS. I have run 49psi (cold) since Jan '13 (65K miles) on my 20" (square and staggard) and 21" (square and staggard).

(yes, I need a wheel/tire intervention, please help! o_O)

They put in some kind of "pipe" to encase some wiring as the signal from two of the tires was quite weak.

My Model S is pre-5K vin! and is well "special"

I strongly suggest you use hand gauge and check when they are cold. They should be at prescribed pressure COLD. The fact that they reach pressure when hot (after driving) means you are running under-inflated.

30 degree overnight drops can easily cause significant tire pressure drops. In Chicago, just about all of my tires need air the first time we get cold temps.