Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIRE RACK VS. LOCAL SHOP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of getting just 1 replacement PS2 for my P85+ (pothole took out the sidewall)... the difference in price between Tire Rack and the local guys is within $30... (local is actually cheaper when you add in shipping and install)

What gets a tad bit confusing is that TireRack offers the 2 year road Hazard warranty.. But the shop that installs the tire does not warranty the tire and i was told by a shop guy that the warranty process could take weeks to sort out. Local shops have road hazard deals as well but most are for 1 year vs. 2 and it takes it higher by $30 as opposed to lower by $30..

Has anyone had to use the tire rack road hazard option? Is it as big of a pain as the tire guy said?

In Short.. Local vs. TireRack and Hazard warranty or no hazard warranty..

thanks

Sort of. You have to buy the replacement/repair, then they cut you a check (3rd party). I've had to do it now 2x w/my S, and have had no issues w/them... it can take 2-3 weeks to get said check, but it's not something I'd consider much of a hassle.

I like to patronize local merchants whenever possible.

The other thing to consider is lifetime cost: Are you better off paying for insurance on all your tires over your lifetime, for the occasional time one is damaged, or just paying for the damage? Insurance always benefits the insurer in the long run. It only benefits the consumer in the case of catastrophic losses that you could not afford. Thus we insure our houses, our cars, and our health, but Consumer Reports says that in most cases, insuring smaller items is not worth it.

Yes, I've used TireRack.com's road hazard warranty on a Michelin Pilot Super Sport on my 85D. It caught a curb on a tight turn and popped the sidewall.

TireRack's procedure is that you:
  • Call them to open a road hazard replacement ticket
  • Purchase your own replacement tire
  • Take the flat tire to an authorized repair shop, have the tire tech call TireRack with the ticket number and inform them that the tire is not repairable.
  • Either you or the tire tech at the local shop has to send a picture of the damage to TireRack's e-mail address.
  • TireRack processes the ticket and then cuts a check for the pro-rated amount.
I received the check in about 3 weeks.

Boston area tire place quite competitive with Tire Rack prices and great friendly service: Smooth Automotive in W. Medford - I got four Nokian R2 winter tires at very good price and could have had Michelin's at Tire Rack prices.

Have had great expect with tire rack warranty.. Had a nail in side wall. Bought a replacement and received check for that replacement - was not prorated like typical road hazard coverage. Yes, needed to wait a few weeks for the check - the float time should be a non-issue for a Tesla owner.

Got a great deal at Discount Tire. I flat out told them that I could get it cheaper at Tire Rack and they came down in price by about $30... which turned out to be almost exactly the same as TR when you include shipping and installation etc... Also Discount tire gave me a non-prorated warranty for life of tire (Tire Rack is 2 years)... this probably doesn't matter much since PS2 tread wear sucks but a few extra minutes on the phone saved me a few bucks.. (Half a tank of GAS for my wife's truck...LOL) Usually not a big fan of warranties like Daniel said above but my wife's love of Dunkin Donuts and a unfortunately placed pot hole made for a $450 cup of coffee. apparently it doesn't take much...

thanks everyone for your input..

Was just at my local America's Tire (Discount Tire elsewhere) today. Got a screw in one of my OEM Goodyears (2nd set--bought them at AT about 20k miles ago and bought warranty @ $20/tire). Was in a jam today so I pulled the screw out and used my inflator/compressor and Slme tire repair plug kit (the black stringy things and cement) to plug the hole. Did not do a great job. Still had a slow leak. Drove around 120 miles today, topping off the tire repeatedly, then went back to AT. Told them what was up. Since I plugged the tire they would not patch it--could not be sure I damaged the belts when reaming the hole. They just replaced the tire under warranty--had them in stock. Cost me $20 for the new tire warranty, plus some time. All good. Very professional. And, yes, when I bought the tires, they price matched Tire Rack.