Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rack's Street Survival in Model 3 P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Took my 17 year old daughter to Tire Rack's Street Survival School, which was run by the Philly area SCCA in Blue Bell PA. This was the first time they had an electric car participate and all the instructors were impressed by how the car accelerated (of course) and handled.

My daughter learned a lot about driving her car and in the AutoX at the end, in which the instructors also ran their cars, she was only 0.3s behind the 2 instructors in their Porsche Caymans (see pic of blue and silver Cayman at the end of the video).

Overall a great experience for her and the 3 was awesome.

More people should go to a driving school. Being able to control your car in a slide, or an emergency situation is something that mostly isn't learned on city streets. I went to 3 or 4 when I was young, the techniques and tips I learned are still things I use today, almost 20 years later.

Yep I couldn't agree more. How your car behaves at its limits should be something you're familiar with. Unfortunately you can't explore those limits on the street safely at all. And of course most people have what I call G-Force phobia such that as G-Force gets above 3/10 of a G in almost any direction people start getting scared. Driver's ed should include some version of a fairly mild autocross type layout so that new drivers know what a car behaves like at its limits.

This isn't too far from central NJ. Do they do this again this summer? Link? Would be great for my son, and I.

Yes, I am in Hillsborough and we drove down early and recharged at Burlington NJ Supercharger and had breakfast. To be honest we did not use a lot of power during the course and could have driven down, done the course and driven home without charging. Think we used about 50 miles of range for the course roughly.

Here's a link to the course - Welcome to Tire Rack Street Survival. Real world. Hands-on.. Looks like the next one in this area is Mahwah on June 30. They fill up fast it seems. Also a bit of advice, bring a chair you will be watching a lot and the course lasted from about 7:30 AM for check-in until about 3:30 PM.

Thanks - found... 30th is good for us too... So question - they say teen student drivers in "their car." So my son drives a beater 12 year old Acura and won't even be taking that to college...

1 - Should I have him drive his Acura or my Model 3?
2 - Can I sign up and would I benefit/enjoy it as well or just for him?

Thanks, looks great for him regardless... Wondering if I would enjoy/learn as well though.

Born and raised in Hillsborough! Down in DC area now, but still go back frequently. Nicely done. I wish they had a course like that down here. While I can go up there for it, closer would be better...

Enjoying the construction for the 206 bypass?? lol...

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I'm an instructor for this school in St Louis, and I cannot recommend it enough. The difference I have seen in the students throughout the day is amazing. The level of confidence behind the wheel from start to finish was incredible. If you have one near you, I highly encourage bringing your "new" driver to one.

Glad to see the M3 was fun to drive on the course, I've been debating taking mine to a local autocross.

I am an instructor for the TSS in Mahwah - we generally try to run two events a year, so if you can’t get into this upcoming one, keep an eye out. It’s a great program.

The NJ BMWCCA is running an autocross at the TD Bank Ballpark this Sunday, June 23rd. That is part of a series of events which are also great venues in which to learn car control. I instruct at those too, just look for my silver E36M3 and I’d be happy to help.

Yep I couldn't agree more. How your car behaves at its limits should be something you're familiar with. Unfortunately you can't explore those limits on the street safely at all. And of course most people have what I call G-Force phobia such that as G-Force gets above 3/10 of a G in almost any direction people start getting scared. Driver's ed should include some version of a fairly mild autocross type layout so that new drivers know what a car behaves like at its limits.
Agreed. My dad also encouraged me to find empty parking lots when I was 16 and do dumb stuff in the snow. There is no replacement for muscle memory when it comes to a slide. Now when I drive in the snow my passengers are often amazed at how casually I handle sliding around. (though the 3 does make it pretty easy)

Born and raised in Hillsborough! Down in DC area now, but still go back frequently. Nicely done. I wish they had a course like that down here. While I can go up there for it, closer would be better...

Enjoying the construction for the 206 bypass?? lol...

206 BP will never be done, but it's great for 0-60 runs ;)

I am an instructor for the TSS in Mahwah - we generally try to run two events a year, so if you can’t get into this upcoming one, keep an eye out. It’s a great program.

The NJ BMWCCA is running an autocross at the TD Bank Ballpark this Sunday, June 23rd. That is part of a series of events which are also great venues in which to learn car control. I instruct at those too, just look for my silver E36M3 and I’d be happy to help.

Hey why does SCCA allow a driver under 18 to drive in the autoX, with parental approval and waiver, but the BMWCCA requires 18 or older? My daughter would have liked to run the autoX on the 23rd, but she's only 17.

I'm an instructor for this school in St Louis, and I cannot recommend it enough. The difference I have seen in the students throughout the day is amazing. The level of confidence behind the wheel from start to finish was incredible. If you have one near you, I highly encourage bringing your "new" driver to one.

Glad to see the M3 was fun to drive on the course, I've been debating taking mine to a local autocross.

I did leave out that it cost us a tire and a wheel repair, so an extra $500. Somehow she got a cut in a sidewall and scuffed the same rim slightly.

This isn't too far from central NJ. Do they do this again this summer? Link? Would be great for my son, and I.

You are in luck, there is one event coming up on 6/30:
NJ BMW CCA

This is great! Is there a program like this in the West Coast?
More info and dates here:
Welcome to Tire Rack Street Survival. Real world. Hands-on.

Hey why does SCCA allow a driver under 18 to drive in the autoX, with parental approval and waiver, but the BMWCCA requires 18 or older? My daughter would have liked to run the autoX on the 23rd, but she's only 17.

My guess would be - that Club's insurance requirements.
Definitely take your daughter to an SCCA event, or to a karting school!

a