TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire Replacement cost $356.60

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RubberToe, Apr 13, 2018.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Left rear tire ran over a nail. Too close to the rim to seal it. New tire was $280, labor was $50, tax was $26.60. That for the stock 18" tire. Just FYI...

RT

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. mekberg

mekberg Member

Where did you have the work done? At a service center?

3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

That’s more than I paid per run flat when I had to replace mine. You paid Tesla this much or an independent?

4. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Walmart and TireRack both sell the 235/45/18 Michelin MXM for $230.

The $50 for labor is kind of steep too. I wouldnt expect to pay more than $20-25 for a mount, balance, and tire disposal fee

I'm going to guess Tesla Service Center.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. RubberToe

Burbank service center.

They also still don't have a fix for the phone as key issue, but thats another story.

RT

P.S. Anybody know how long the tires will last with very conservative driving?

6. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Off the top of my head, I remembered that the Lexus CT200h came with MXMs also. I did a quick Google and landed at a CT forum and saw that a majority of the posters in a thread about tire life said they got about 35k out of theirs. But of course, the MXM on the Model 3 could be a different tire (compound, tread, weight rating, etc)..

Personally, I would expect about 35-40k for a stock semi-LRR tire driving conservatively.. but I dont plan to drive conservatively :D

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    You can get a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for $210 or the A/S 3+ for $185. Both are way better tires. Sometimes I think that OEM tires are special tires that they sell super cheap to auto manufacturers and then make all their money selling replacements to consumers at inflated prices. They always seem to be both mediocre and much more expensive than comparable tires.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  8. silentsnow31802

The tires are so expensive because of the weight rating.

9. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Tirerack shows them at $275.40 so price is inline with the Service Center.

If the CT200h drivers got 35k out of the tires, it will most likely be less for the M3 - the M3 weighs 700 lbs more than the CT200h and delivers much more torque to the wheels than the 142 ft-lbs. of the mini-Lexus.

10. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Tire Rack also says the MXM4 has "Acoustic Tech".

The Tesla OEM MXM4 is literally the only LRR All Season Tire with a 98 Load Rating in the 18" Model 3 size at Tire Rack. The only other LRR tires in that size with 98 load rating are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Max Performance Summer) and the Michelin X-Ice XI3 (Studless Ice & Snow).

If you give up the Low Rolling Resistance (Eco Focus) then you have many more choices and some of them are quite inexpensive.

• Informative x 6
  11. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Wonder how that would affect range?

• Like x 1
  12. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Low Rolling Resistance and Max Performance seem to contradict each other?

• Like x 1
  13. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Just be happy you aren't running the 19s..........you just saved yourself at least $100.

14. RubberToe

Couldn't possibly be happier :)

RT

15. cpa

cpa Active Member

So, basically the tires are free, but they charge to inflate them? :rolleyes: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

16. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing that the Pilot Sport 4S has good rolling resistance. Maybe it just means good for its class or maybe its the "environmentally-conscious manufacturing techniques." I'm not sure that the "Eco Focus" selection means much since it doesn't correlate with Tire Rack's own MPG testing.

Ha!

17. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

I'm a big fan of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I've run them on my last 3 BMWs and my Model X. They're quite reasonably priced in the Model 3 18" size and that's probably what I'll switch to when the OE tires go.

18. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I'd be willing to give up range vs noise

• Like x 2
  19. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I've had both pilot sports and mxm4 on our acura. The mxm4 had far better wear. The pilot sports had some pretty bad cupping on the tread. Had the alignment check, etc. All was good and no changes. Costco said it was something he saw frequently on the pilot sport tires on some cars.

20. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I’ll probably go with these as well. I had those tires on a previous car and they were probably the best all around tire I’ve ever had on a car. They’re also around $100 cheaper per tire than the OEM tires. Have you noticed any significant range hit using them on your Model X when compared to the OEM tires?