Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Replacement cost $356.60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off the top of my head, I remembered that the Lexus CT200h came with MXMs also. I did a quick Google and landed at a CT forum and saw that a majority of the posters in a thread about tire life said they got about 35k out of theirs. But of course, the MXM on the Model 3 could be a different tire (compound, tread, weight rating, etc)..

Personally, I would expect about 35-40k for a stock semi-LRR tire driving conservatively.. but I dont plan to drive conservatively :D

Ouch.
You can get a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for $210 or the A/S 3+ for $185. Both are way better tires. Sometimes I think that OEM tires are special tires that they sell super cheap to auto manufacturers and then make all their money selling replacements to consumers at inflated prices. They always seem to be both mediocre and much more expensive than comparable tires.

Tirerack shows them at $275.40 so price is inline with the Service Center.

If the CT200h drivers got 35k out of the tires, it will most likely be less for the M3 - the M3 weighs 700 lbs more than the CT200h and delivers much more torque to the wheels than the 142 ft-lbs. of the mini-Lexus.

The tires are so expensive because of the weight rating.
Tire Rack also says the MXM4 has "Acoustic Tech".

The Tesla OEM MXM4 is literally the only LRR All Season Tire with a 98 Load Rating in the 18" Model 3 size at Tire Rack. The only other LRR tires in that size with 98 load rating are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Max Performance Summer) and the Michelin X-Ice XI3 (Studless Ice & Snow).

If you give up the Low Rolling Resistance (Eco Focus) then you have many more choices and some of them are quite inexpensive.

The Tesla OEM MXM4 is literally the only LRR All Season Tire with a 98 Load Rating in the 18" Model 3 size at Tire Rack. The only other LRR tires in that size with 98 load rating are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Max Performance Summer) and the Michelin X-Ice XI3 (Studless Ice & Snow).

If you give up the Low Rolling Resistance (Eco Focus) then you have many more choices and some of them are quite inexpensive.
Wonder how that would affect range?

Reactions: AlanJ

Low Rolling Resistance and Max Performance seem to contradict each other?

Reactions: Snow Drift

I have a hard time believing that the Pilot Sport 4S has good rolling resistance. Maybe it just means good for its class or maybe its the "environmentally-conscious manufacturing techniques." I'm not sure that the "Eco Focus" selection means much since it doesn't correlate with Tire Rack's own MPG testing.

So, basically the tires are free, but they charge to inflate them? :rolleyes: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Ha!

I've had both pilot sports and mxm4 on our acura. The mxm4 had far better wear. The pilot sports had some pretty bad cupping on the tread. Had the alignment check, etc. All was good and no changes. Costco said it was something he saw frequently on the pilot sport tires on some cars.

I'm a big fan of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I've run them on my last 3 BMWs and my Model X. They're quite reasonably priced in the Model 3 18" size and that's probably what I'll switch to when the OE tires go.

I’ll probably go with these as well. I had those tires on a previous car and they were probably the best all around tire I’ve ever had on a car. They’re also around $100 cheaper per tire than the OEM tires. Have you noticed any significant range hit using them on your Model X when compared to the OEM tires?