Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Road Hazard Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continental Tires offers a road hazard warranty. Has anyone ever made a claim? I just got a nail and the tire service I used could not guarantee the plug and patch due to the glue on the inside of tire used for holding the foam insulation. Tires are expensive, and I only have 2000 miles on 'em.

Tesla Service is the most convenient (also most expensive) option. You might use this tire puncture as an opportunity to replace the factory Continental Procontact RX tires as they not very good for driving in even light snow conditions. Pitt is hilly, correct? If you anticipate having to drive in the snow there are much better tire choices for your Tesla Model Y. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 is one good option. The Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tire would be an acceptable tire for driving in light snow.

I am considering the following as replacement tires for the factory Continental Procontact RX that came on my 2020 LRMY. I have ~14.5k miles and 45% remaining usable tread. (I don't drive when there is snow/ice on the road.) The first choice remains the Vredestein Quatrac Pro All-Season tire. The second tire I am considering is the new Goodyear Electric Drive GT tire. (If you have USAA Automobile Insurance you can receive a 25% off discount on the purchase of Goodyear tires.) There is a Goodyear tire center nearby and also Goodyear Mobile Tire service is available in my area so I may do that when I decide to purchase new tires.
How do you go about getting the 25% discount for USAA? Do you buy the tires and then contact USAA for a rebate?

The Electric Drive GTs would be nice to get at a 25% discount but I think they have foam inside which i really want to stay away from. Tests have shown that it doesn't really work all that well and as the OP has seen, it can make repairing the tire tricky.

When the crappy OEM Michelin MXM4s wore out on my M3 I replaced them with the Continental Extreme Contact after looking at many different options. No foam and just as quiet as the Michelins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do you go about getting the 25% discount for USAA? Do you buy the tires and then contact USAA for a rebate?

The Electric Drive GTs would be nice to get at a 25% discount but I think they have foam inside which i really want to stay away from. Tests have shown that it doesn't really work all that well and as the OP has seen, it can make repairing the tire tricky.

When the crappy OEM Michelin MXM4s wore out on my M3 I replaced them with the Continental Extreme Contact after looking at many different options. No foam and just as quiet as the Michelins.
Follow the link on the USAA web site.

Reactions: jkdman123
Upvote 0
Well,

I learned my lesson. Got a roofing nail through the sidewall of a tire. Had to replace it. One of the other three tires had very little wear on it, the other two were nearly spent after 21,000 miles - Sadly, the tire with a nail in it also had little wear on it. Oh well - Yeah, I should be better about tire rotations, but I wasn't. No one else in the area carried the tires, and only after paying Testla $1200 to replace three tires did I find that I had other options, but not many - EV tires are a breed apart apparently. Live and learn.
Found out after I had Tesla service to replace the tires that they do not even offer free tire rotations. As another post mentions, the 19" tires that come with the Model Y are crap on even light snow. I will note the suggestions above for something OTHER than the Continental snow skis next time. Maybe if a long lost rich relative leaves me a ton of money I'll just get another set of tires for Winter driving in Colorado.

be well,
DLC
Mine came with the Kumho's, are those the ones? Post link?

Upvote 0
Hi @agmonaco, Trust you are well! I am in a similar situation with my <2 years old Model Y where Tesla roadside assistance has recommended for a tire replacement. I contacted Continental after reading thru this thread but they did not agree to assist in tire replacement. I have about 22K miles on that tire and replacing it because it is punctured with a nail and everyone says its too close to sidewall to be repaired. Could you please help me how to navigate with Continental?

Upvote 0
Hi @agmonaco, Trust you are well! I am in a similar situation with my <2 years old Model Y where Tesla roadside assistance has recommended for a tire replacement. I contacted Continental after reading thru this thread but they did not agree to assist in tire replacement. I have about 22K miles on that tire and replacing it because it is punctured with a nail and everyone says its too close to sidewall to be repaired. Could you please help me how to navigate with Continental?

Continental is not going to offer you a dime for a 2 year old OE tire with 22,000 miles on it.

Upvote 0

This was road hazard not wear
So no warranty
Buy from Costco that provides road hazard

Upvote 0
When you purchase new tires consider also purchasing the tire certificate where available (sold separately). The Discount Tire/Americas' Tires tire certificate or similar is an insurance policy that covers the cost of repair or replacement of your tire in the event of a puncture or road hazard damage (sidewall damage.) Excessive tire wear is covered separately by the tire manufacturer's warranty. If the tire wears out prematurely usually the manufacturer will prorate the cost of replacement tires. Note that OE tires do not come with any tire life warranty. The tire retailer can request that the tire manufacturer provide a credit that prorates the cost of replacement tires, i.e. if the tires only last 50% of the rated miles then you could purchase the new tires at a 50% discount but they don't have to do so. This type of service does not extend to replacing a damaged tire that cannot be repaired. Many tire centers will offer to plug or patch a tire that can be repaired for free to secure your repeat business.

Reactions: Discount Tire
Upvote 0