Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation interval contradiction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reread the conversation I think you missed something.
$120 for lugnuts is silly and should be covered by whomever messed them up. Plenty of stories here of poor service by Tesla. Everyone hires a stupid person now and again or just has a bad day
Hard to prove because, at least the first time, you don't check till you need to work with the wheels again. $120 is for a complete set, not each nut or wheel. Once bitten, it's pretty easy to justify the price of a good jack and jack stands.

Rotation is good, but I like to use America's Tire/Discount Tire as they spin balance the tires & wheels too (and all for free). I was just into my local AT hop with my P3D+ at 3,500 miles/6 months (yes, short distance). I have almost perfectly even wear (just a tad bit more inner wear on the rears) and have not noticed any vibration. Balance was a bit out on 3 of 4. All good.

What he said. Except I have them rotate and balance them every 6,000-7,000 miles.:cool:

Reread the conversation I think you missed something.
$120 for lugnuts is silly and should be covered by whomever messed them up. Plenty of stories here of poor service by Tesla. Everyone hires a stupid person now and again or just has a bad day
I must wholeheartedly agree with your last line. Sometimes it’s just the front line people exhibiting poor attitude.

Maybe the company’s HRD employed a less than ideal hiring process.

I have a D, and my first set of tires were never rotated. They wore evenly and beautifully. Not advocating to not rotate, but it's less important if you have a dual motor. Just keep an eye on them.
I had the same experience with mu P85DL. When I replaced the tires at 34,000 miles they had identical wear and I never rotated. I have always rotated only shen I had a measurable difference front-rear or had a full-sized spare.

I do rotate my tires if they get to more than about 6,000 miles and switch back and forth between winter and summer tires/wheels but I always measure the tread depth and the tire wear has always been very even front to back and side to side. Very happy with this. I could probably get away with fewer rotations.
I do the rotation and summer/winter switch myself since I have had bad experiences with the local grease monkeys. They use an air impact wrench to remove and replace lug nuts. My last tire change on my Land Rover when it needed new tires resulted in all of the lug nuts being overtightened and several of the lug caps destroyed. I bought a new set of lug nuts ($39 for 20) and with great difficulty removed the old overtightened nuts and torqued the new ones to the proper value. In the future, I'll have to find a better shop to change tires but don't have many convenient options. That will be a few years from now.

Reactions: jerry33