Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RennStand certainly seems like the best option I have seen so far....much cheaper than JackPoints.

I do have one question: Has anyone attempted to lift all four corners of the car using one of these products? It seems to me that, no matter the sequence, at some point there will be three corners of the car off the ground, and one unsupported. It seems this would put an extraordinary torque on the frame (and battery case). I suppose one could use two floor jacks to evenly lift the both front or both back corners at once.
I have viewed a video of the RennStands being used to lift all four corners. Obviously you need (4) RennStands. You place the cross support of the RennStand on the lift plate of the floor jack (the Tesla adapter needs to be installed on the cross support), then raise the vehicle at one of the lift points. Then you attach the legs of the RennStand and secure the legs of the RennStand using the locking pins. Finally you lower the floor jack and the vehicle stays supported on the RennStand. Repeat for the other three lift points. In practice you would probably only need a pair of RennStands at the most to service the wheels, brakes etc. (You would need a Tesla/Porche adapter plate for each of the RennStands and a low profile floor jack that can fit between the legs of the RennStand. (What I learned: Renn is German for Racing.)

Last edited:
I have viewed a video of the RennStands being used to lift all four corners. Obviously you need (4) RennStands. You place the cross support of the RennStand on the lift plate of the floor jack (the Tesla adapter needs to be installed on the cross support), then raise the vehicle at one of the lift points. Then you attach the legs of the RennStand and secure the legs of the RennStand using the locking pins. Finally you lower the floor jack and the vehicle stays supported on the RennStand. Repeat for the other three lift points. In practice you would probably only need a pair of RennStands at the most to service the wheels, brakes etc. (You would need a Tesla/Porche adapter plate for each of the RennStands and a low profile floor jack that can fit between the legs of the RennStand. (What I learned: Renn is German for Racing.)
Maybe my question wasn't clear. After the third lift, there will be one corner not yet lifted. That will leave you with three on the jack stands and one hanging...creating the diagonal torque.

Maybe my question wasn't clear. After the third lift, there will be one corner not yet lifted. That will leave you with three on the jack stands and one hanging...creating the diagonal torque.
That's not at issue. It is well know that the Tesla frame is strong enough that you can raise the vehicle (one side, both wheels off the ground) using only the front lift point. The reason for using multiple jack stands (Rennstands in this case) is for working under the vehicle. Never use a floor jack in place of a jack stand.

Reactions: Patrick66
That's not at issue. It is well know that the Tesla frame is strong enough that you can raise the vehicle (one side, both wheels off the ground) using only the front lift point. The reason for using multiple jack stands (Rennstands in this case) is for working under the vehicle. Never use a floor jack in place of a jack stand.
"Never use a floor jack in place of a jack stand." -- 100%

As Mike R would say "safety 3rd"

We yes of course you need jack stands for working under a car....:rolleyes:

And, yes, I have raised one side using one jack and one jack stand. That's how I normally rotate the tires front to back.

But my question is....for the third time....if you want to raise all four corners at once. After three corners are up, one corner is dangling.

You would think tire wear would not vary based on car manufacturer.
It does, very much so.. The reason is because the suspension geometry can be very different. This is especially true if you have an aggressive camber from the factory, like my Infiniti Coupe. On that car, it was important to flip the tires on the wheels to get an even wear with the staggered setup.

The RennStand scraped the garage floor; not cool if you have a finished garage.
I was watching a video on that, and they said if you leave the stand unlocked, and lock it when you lower the car into position, the legs won't scrape the floor. They said it only scraped the floor if you locked the legs when you attach it to the cross bar, then lower it.

• Informative
Reactions: tdeno and jcanoe
RennStand certainly seems like the best option I have seen so far....much cheaper than JackPoints.

I do have one question: Has anyone attempted to lift all four corners of the car using one of these products? It seems to me that, no matter the sequence, at some point there will be three corners of the car off the ground, and one unsupported. It seems this would put an extraordinary torque on the frame (and battery case). I suppose one could use two floor jacks to evenly lift the both front or both back corners at once.
Mobile service came to rotate mine in a Model s with a single floor jack in the trunk. They just put the jack under the rear jackpoint and jack it up until both the rear and front tire were off the ground. The frames on these are Incredibly stiff and can take a lot.

Reactions: TesBear
Have 2020 M3 LR with 12,500 miles and recently had Discount Tires rotate my tires for
a second time. Technician was going to jack my car without pucks!!
Fortunatly I was in the car and stopped him before he could gat started. Talked with another Technician and he knew that Teslas need pucks to lift. Moral of the story is be careful and watch non Tesla Technicians like a Hawk.

Have 2020 M3 LR with 12,500 miles and recently had Discount Tires rotate my tires for
a second time. Technician was going to jack my car without pucks!!
Fortunatly I was in the car and stopped him before he could gat started. Talked with another Technician and he knew that Teslas need pucks to lift. Moral of the story is be careful and watch non Tesla Technicians like a Hawk.
The lift pad is for use with a floor jack that has a steel cup at the end of the lift arm. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual does not state that lift pads should be used when jacking up the Tesla Model Y. I doubt that Tesla service departments uses lift pads when raising a Tesla vehicle on a 4-point lift. The Tesla service technicians know the correct placement of the lift arms without needing the lift pads to serve as a guide.

Reactions: Daekwan
Thanks. But once again, I’m talking about lifting four corners, not two.
You are missing my point. They didn't lift TWO corners. They lifted at ONE point. This is the same stress as having two jack stands already in place and jacking up the third. A corner is dangling unsupported. Would I leave it like that for hours? No. Would I get under the car while it's like that? No. Will it hurt the car to have one unsupported jack point for a few minutes, whether that is with three points already lifted or one, no.

You are missing my point. They didn't lift TWO corners. They lifted at ONE point. This is the same stress as having two jack stands already in place and jacking up the third. A corner is dangling unsupported. Would I leave it like that for hours? No. Would I get under the car while it's like that? No. Will it hurt the car to have one unsupported jack point for a few minutes, whether that is with three points already lifted or one, no.
Ok now I see what you’re saying….i suppose that is approximately the same torque. And yes I’ve done that too. I don’t know what a four point lift in my head seems so much worse. Thanks