Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a RWD MS85. I rotate every 5k to 6k and I have yet to replace tires in over 2 years. Really does help to minimize the uneven wear. I also have a winter snow set. Highly recommended to have dedicated winter snow wheels and tires set. And also just do the rotations yourself.

Get 2 good low pro jacks and jack pad like this.

Also, lug nut cover remover

FYI, those are not affiliate links or anything. Just trying to share some good ole knowledge.

On my ICE cars in the past I rotated every 6000 miles and had good luck with wear.
I have 5000 on my Model Y LR AWD now as was going to rotate. I purchased a tire gauge to check the difference between front and rear. There was only 1/32 difference. The maintenance manual states to rotate when 2/32 difference appears. So, needless to say, I'll put off rotation most likely until 10,000 miles. YMMV

Reactions: Daekwan
On my ICE cars in the past I rotated every 6000 miles and had good luck with wear.
I have 5000 on my Model Y LR AWD now as was going to rotate. I purchased a tire gauge to check the difference between front and rear. There was only 1/32 difference. The maintenance manual states to rotate when 2/32 difference appears. So, needless to say, I'll put off rotation most likely until 10,000 miles. YMMV
Same here. Three year old RWD Model 3. Rotated OEMs every 5,000 miles. OEM MXM 18" Michelins were shot at 20K. Replaced with Michelin CrossClimate+. With less than 1/32 difference between front and back after 11K, I plan to wait until differential exceeds 2/32 to rotate. BTW, the CrossClimates should last much longer than the OEM MXMs--only 1/32 loss on the fronts and less than 2/32 in back.

The Safe Jack RennStand can be used with the Tesla vehicle when used with the Tesla/Porsche adapter. The bottle jack won't work as it is too tall.
agreed - The RennStand by Safe Jack that seems like it would be a good option for tire rotation and other 'fun' addons -- guess you might have them or do you have any feedback on use.

I did watch a few youtube vids on them but it best to hear from other Tesla owners that have used them :)

agreed - The RennStand by Safe Jack that seems like it would be a good option for tire rotation and other 'fun' addons -- guess you might have them or do you have any feedback on use.

I did watch a few youtube vids on them but it best to hear from other Tesla owners that have used them :)
I don't own the RennStand. The last review I read noted that the RennStand can cause some damage the garage floor as it spreads slightly when under load. Also, the manufacturer of the RennStand acknowledged that the Tesla/Porche adapter can damage the rail of the Tesla vehicle (I think it was a Model 3.) Not sure if RennStand has redesigned their adapter plate.

The only other jack stand for use with Tesla vehicles that I have found is this one: http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

I've looked into buying a low profile 2 ton rated floor jack. There are many choices at all price points from inexpensive (under $100) to moderately expensive ($200 to $350) to very expensive ($1000.) The problem with most of the low price and moderate price floor jacks is that they almost always are made so you can't repair the piston seal, replace other critical parts when needed. Then you have large piece of scrap metal. The old-school steel floor jacks weight almost 100 lbs, take two people to lift so you don't injure yourself. The aluminum floor jacks and the hybrid (aluminum and steel) floor jacks weigh about half as much but cost twice as much or more as the steel floor jacks. A top of the line commercial grade floor jack costs ~$1000. For $1000 you can buy floor jack that will last your lifetime and you will be able to replace the seals as required.

Or you can let Discount Tire or your local tire center rotate your tires, swap your summer wheels and tires for winter tires when the time comes. Tesla charges $50 to rotate tires as I recall, will swap summer wheels/tires for winter tires.

Last edited:
I have a RWD MS85. I rotate every 5k to 6k and I have yet to replace tires in over 2 years. Really does help to minimize the uneven wear. I also have a winter snow set. Highly recommended to have dedicated winter snow wheels and tires set. And also just do the rotations yourself.

Get 2 good low pro jacks and jack pad like this.

Also, lug nut cover remover

FYI, those are not affiliate links or anything. Just trying to share some good ole knowledge.

QQ -- "dedicated winter snow wheels and tires set" -- what did you end up getting, something from the tesla shop or something different?

I don't own the RennStand. The last review I read noted that the RennStand can cause some damage the garage floor as it spreads slightly when under load. Also, the manufacturer of the RennStand acknowledged that the Tesla/Porche adapter can damage the rail of the Tesla vehicle (I think it was a Model 3.) Not sure if RennStand has redesigned their adapter plate.

The only other jack stand I have found is this one: http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

I've looked into buying a low profile 2 ton rated floor jack. There are many choices at all price points from inexpensive (under $100) to moderately expensive ($200 to $350) to very expensive ($1000.) The problem with most of the low price and moderate price floor jacks is that they almost always are made so you can't repair the piston seal, replace other critical parts when needed. Then you have large piece of scrap metal. The old-school floor jacks weight almost 100 lbs, take two people to lift so you don't injure yourself. The aluminum floor jacks and the hybrid (aluminum and steel) floor jacks weigh about half as much but cost twice as much or more as the steel floor jacks. A top of the line commercial grade floor jack costs ~$1000. For $1000 you can buy floor jack that will last your lifetime and you will be able to replace the seals as required.

Or you can let Discount Tire or your local tire center rotate your tires, swap your summer wheels and tires for winter tires when the time comes. Tesla charges $50 to rotate tires as I recall, will swap summer wheels/tires for winter tires.

Thanks for your insights:

"damage the garage floor as it spreads slightly when under load" -- hmm that does not sound great :(

I looked at those (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/) and around ~$1300 (for 4) seems like it is getting up there just for a tire rotation :)

"Discount Tire or your local tire center rotate your tire " -- agreed.

Reactions: xAgyex
Thanks for your insights:

"damage the garage floor as it spreads slightly when under load" -- hmm that does not sound great :(

I looked at those (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/) and around ~$1300 (for 4) seems like it is getting up there just for a tire rotation :)

"Discount Tire or your local tire center rotate your tire " -- agreed.
The RennStand scraped the garage floor; not cool if you have a finished garage.

RennStand certainly seems like the best option I have seen so far....much cheaper than JackPoints.

I do have one question: Has anyone attempted to lift all four corners of the car using one of these products? It seems to me that, no matter the sequence, at some point there will be three corners of the car off the ground, and one unsupported. It seems this would put an extraordinary torque on the frame (and battery case). I suppose one could use two floor jacks to evenly lift the both front or both back corners at once.

• Funny
Reactions: xAgyex