Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire sidewall punctuation, warranty claim possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I took delivery about 4 month ago, one of the tire pressure keep dropping way faster than the rest. Have tesla looked at it once about two month ago when I took it to service for some other AC related issue, they said they couldn't find anything and just filled up the tire way above the rest. Fast forward to a couple days ago, the tire pressure warning showed up and I finally took it to America's tire to check and found a small metal shard stuck on the sidewall, and when wiggled, can clearly hear air leaking from it.
America's tire asked me to check with continental to get a pro-rated warranty replacement since it only has about 3800 miles on it. But continental's site seems indicating for oem tire I need to take this to Tesla to get the claim. Scheduled an appointment, but it is all the way to the end of the month, which means milage will continue to rack up on the tire.
Anyone know in this case, if tesla just gonna replace since the problem has been there since I took delivery or help me to sort this out with continental with the pro-rated warranty? Or do I have any chance to just deal with this directly with continental and have the tire replaced asap.

Thank you for the help in advance!

If you found a foreign object after four months and can't clearly show it must be from the factory, it's very unlikely anyone is going to cover this under warranty. That's just not the way tire coverage works, the clear assumption has to be that it happened while driving.

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
ya the leak is very slow, so I wasn't even paying attention at the beginning and not even the second time they just bluff me off and filled it way full. Just checking what are the options here, seems from other thread that continental won't do jack with prorating the replacement in this case since the oem warranty works differently.
Going out to get a replacement on Monday. New question tho, someone seems suggested that for AWS drives, it is better to swap all four at the same time to ensure an even ware out on the tires so it doesn't mess with the balance sensor. But with only roughly 4k on the set, is it really necessary? or just 1 is enough.

THX!

ya the leak is very slow, so I wasn't even paying attention at the beginning and not even the second time they just bluff me off and filled it way full. Just checking what are the options here, seems from other thread that continental won't do jack with prorating the replacement in this case since the oem warranty works differently.
Going out to get a replacement on Monday. New question tho, someone seems suggested that for AWS drives, it is better to swap all four at the same time to ensure an even ware out on the tires so it doesn't mess with the balance sensor. But with only roughly 4k on the set, is it really necessary? or just 1 is enough.

THX!
I had about 10k on a tire that had a nail near the outer thread & it was suggested to just replaced that 1 low profile tire, ouch $400

I had about 10k on a tire that had a nail near the outer thread & it was suggested to just replaced that 1 low profile tire, ouch $400
That's why I just get certificates at Discount/America's Tire... In my wifes car one time, I ended up having all 4 tires replaced at some point due to unrepairable flats. Last time I was there, I overheard them telling a customer who was going on a road trip, who mentioned they didnt' have Discount Tire where they were going. They told him it didn't matter, and said if they don't have Discount Tire, he can just get a tire replaced anywhere, and if he saves the receipt and brings it to Discount/Americas Tire, they will fully reimburse him.

yep. called tesla, called continental, both of them not gonna do jack about it, and tesla doesn't even have the tire in their service center (Fremont) for replacement. Got couple quotes around pretty much 350~400 bucks out the door now.

If it's a very slow leak and you've found the hole, just patch it. There's no point in driving on aesthetically perfect tires, the whole point of the devices is to wear out and be replaced.
if it is my car, i will probably just do that and call it a day. Wife drives it mainly with the kid and damage is on the sidewall, guess i will just suck it up for a replacement to give myself some sanity