TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire size on new regular 100D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by boonedocks, Apr 14, 2017.

1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Did I miss the memo? I was getting all the tires to the same PSI, yes call me OCD, and saw that my newly delivered 100D with 21" wheel upgrade has offset sizes. Has anyone else recently ordered a new delivery with 21" greys on their NON performance model and have 245's in the front and 265's in the rear? To the unitiated, are the wheel sizes the same just the rubber different?

IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1119.JPG IMG_1117.JPG

• Informative x 1
  2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

The rear wheels are also 1/2" wider than the fronts, so you can't rotate front to back.

But yeah, it's odd they are now delivering a staggered setup without really telling you.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Tesla has switched a half dozen times back and fourth between square and staggered on the performance models and I doubt they've ever notified any customers with pending orders of the size change.

I personally prefer square which makes buying and rotating tires easier. There's no real traction benefit on the D cars off the line but if you want that extra 1% in handling around corners then it might make a difference.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Right, but this is just a regular 100D.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Right :) Missed that :rolleyes:

6. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I believe they have been shipping staggered wheel/tire combos for quite some time. I was told non P cars get Conti's and P cars get the Mich Acoustic PSSs.

Think this has been the case since last summer (refresh). I have seen 60/75/90Ds also fall into this scenario. At least what I have seen over the last six months.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

No matter what the model, I still think Tesla should alert people and give them the chance to decline the staggered rims.

They end up being much more expensive in the long run due to significantly fewer tire choices and that you can't rotate the wheels/tires back to front. And the "increased performance" is somewhere between dubious and marginally detectible at the extremes of handling.

This is exactly why I de-staggered my P85+.

8. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Sure enough I received Conti-Sports and not Michelins. I would have preferred to have known and maybe even pushed to have the SC swap the rears out before delivery. Pretty sure I can't even get the Conti-Silents now :-/

9. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Maybe not relevant but the arachnids are also staggered.

10. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Destaggered is what happens after too many drinks. My friends... destaggerd around the house.

Rotate? I burn through my rear tires in 8,000 miles. I just slap new on the back. Not worth the effort to rotate. lol