Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear depth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not my experience, but I am a sample size of 1.

Are you rotating your tires as recommended (every 6250 mi)?
Are all of your tires properly inflated (42 psi)?
Is it even wear across the tire, or isolated to an inside/outside edge (alignment issue)?

14.5k miles on OE 19" Continental Procontact RX tires, mostly local driving. Rear tires are pretty evenly worn to between 6/32nd and 5/32nd. Front tires are wearing evenly, are now at 7/32nd. I have not had the tires rotated. (The Continental Procontact RX tire has just 9/32nd tread depth when new. Most tires have 10/32nd to 11/32nd inch tread depth when new.)

Reactions: lachambers
One other point, even though the car may have all-wheel drive, in general, more power is applied to the front wheels versus the rear when you're cruising. It's more efficient this way. I believe I read this in the Owner's Manual or some other Tesla documentation. I would have to dig it up if you really want to know my source. Of course, the rears come more into play for accelerating the car. ;)

One other point, even though the car may have all-wheel drive, in general, more power is applied to the front wheels versus the rear when you're cruising. It's more efficient this way. I believe I read this in the Owner's Manual or some other Tesla documentation. I would have to dig it up if you really want to know my source. Of course, the rears come more into play for accelerating the car. ;)
I believe that in the case of Tesla vehicles, including the Model Y, that the rear drive motor is engaged 100% of the time. The front drive unit is only providing power to the front wheels under moderate to hard acceleration and when wheel slip is detected at the rear wheels. Of course if you have a Performance Model Y or other Performance model Tesla with Track Mode you can dial in a constant amount of power to the front and rear wheels.

The history of the Tesla Model S is that it was originally introduced as a rear wheel drive only electric vehicle. Rear wheel drive is recognized for its superior performance under some driving conditions. Dual motor became an option, later standard.

Today the entry level Standard Range Plus (SR+) Tesla Model 3 is rear wheel drive (RWD). There was, for a short time, a Standard Range (RWD) 2021 Tesla Model Y sold in the US. A Standard Range (Made in China) RWD Tesla Model Y is currently being sold by Tesla is Canada. Fleet customers in the EU can order a Long Range Tesla Model 3 with RWD.

Reactions: WheresMyKeys
If you use a lot of actual braking when slowing down, you will wear out the front tires more. The rear tires do the regen braking, so if you mostly do one pedal driving, you will wear out close to even or slightly wear out the rear tires more/faster.

Reactions: kpanda17
I found all four of my OEM 19" Continentals tires pretty evenly worn after 36k miles. I rotated them every 10k miles. I just replaced them with Vredestein Quatrac Pros after a lot of research. My old ones were at 3-4mm, which I found to be a little scary in the very wet conditions we've had here in the Northeast recently. especially on the highway.

I'm tracking the energy usage with the new tires but won't really look at it until I have 1500 miles or so. My lifetime is 272 wh/mi.

I believe that in the case of Tesla vehicles, including the Model Y, that the rear drive motor is engaged 100% of the time. The front drive unit is only providing power to the front wheels under moderate to hard acceleration and when wheel slip is detected at the rear wheels. Of course if you have a Performance Model Y or other Performance model Tesla with Track Mode you can dial in a constant amount of power to the front and rear wheels.
This seems to be borne out by the data logging done by @pt19713 in this thread - Can somebody please explain to me how Tesla AWD works? Thank you.

Reactions: pt19713

The history of the Tesla Model S is that it was originally introduced as a rear wheel drive only electric vehicle. Rear wheel drive is recognized for its superior performance under some driving conditions. Dual motor became an option, later standard.

Today the entry level Standard Range Plus (SR+) Tesla Model 3 is rear wheel drive (RWD). There was, for a short time, a Standard Range (RWD) 2021 Tesla Model Y sold in the US. A Standard Range (Made in China) RWD Tesla Model Y is currently being sold by Tesla is Canada. Fleet customers in the EU can order a Long Range Tesla Model 3 with RWD.
Yeah, I tried but I just can't dig up my source. Maybe it's something I picked up watching Tesla Bjorn's YouTube channel when he was logging his energy stats while driving? I remembered the point (from where?) because the result was counter to my belief that more torque was applied to the rears in all cases. But, like I said, I've got nothing to back that up. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I tried but I just can't dig up my source. Maybe it's something I picked up watching Tesla Bjorn's YouTube channel when he was logging his energy stats while driving? I remembered the point (from where?) because the result was counter to my belief that more torque was applied to the rears in all cases. But, like I said, I've got nothing to back that up. 🤷‍♂️
To differentiate GM's new EVs from Tesla, other EVs Chevrolet stated that the new Blazer EV and Equinox EV vehicles will be available with either front, rear or all-wheel drive. I wonder if this turns out to be true.

If you use a lot of actual braking when slowing down, you will wear out the front tires more. The rear tires do the regen braking, so if you mostly do one pedal driving, you will wear out close to even or slightly wear out the rear tires more/faster.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it is the front motor that does the regen braking?

Anyhow, I do 100% one pedal driving, and physical brake usage is like less than 1%, but I still wear out rear tires much more. I'm probably accelerating too fast on highways, and I don't drive fast within city limits.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it is the front motor that does the regen braking?

Anyhow, I do 100% one pedal driving, and physical brake usage is like less than 1%, but I still wear out rear tires much more. I'm probably accelerating too fast on highways, and I don't drive fast within city limits.
rear motor does 100% regen braking.

Reactions: JohnB007