Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear depth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll do new datalogs in the winter, but I believe a recent update has the front motor more involved with the brake regen when there's rear axle slippage detected. This was done for more front end stability during poor traction conditions. Previously, the front motor provided essentially no brake regen.
Even with no slippage I see the front providing about 10% regenerative braking when I'm fully off the accelerator pedal and traveling at moderate speeds.

I was about to start a new thread but it seems there are many here who know the car so....
2020 Raven model S with the OEM Michelin 19" rubber. I've only done 16000 miles and have looked at the way the tires have fared today - pretty much worn and I am going to get them checked. I am a very staid driver - just don't even look at exploring the power of the thing - and I'm quite surprised at the wear after such a short time.
I carry a Modern Spare and note the spacer that's required for the rear wheels: this puzzles me - are the original rims different rear/front? I can't see anything in the manual one way or the other so why the spacer requirement for this spare?
I would welcome advice on this such as alternative tires if the Michelins wear so rapidly. Thanks in advance.

I found all four of my OEM 19" Continentals tires pretty evenly worn after 36k miles. I rotated them every 10k miles. I just replaced them with Vredestein Quatrac Pros after a lot of research. My old ones were at 3-4mm, which I found to be a little scary in the very wet conditions we've had here in the Northeast recently. especially on the highway.

I'm tracking the energy usage with the new tires but won't really look at it until I have 1500 miles or so. My lifetime is 272 wh/mi.
Thought I would update my usage here. Initially, I was getting over 300 Wh/mi, but after over 6,000 miles it has come down to 287 Wh/mi. My lifetime was about 272 Wh/mi prior to the new tires.

IMG_4374.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: UoMDeacon
I was about to start a new thread but it seems there are many here who know the car so....
2020 Raven model S with the OEM Michelin 19" rubber. I've only done 16000 miles and have looked at the way the tires have fared today - pretty much worn and I am going to get them checked. I am a very staid driver - just don't even look at exploring the power of the thing - and I'm quite surprised at the wear after such a short time.
I carry a Modern Spare and note the spacer that's required for the rear wheels: this puzzles me - are the original rims different rear/front? I can't see anything in the manual one way or the other so why the spacer requirement for this spare?
I would welcome advice on this such as alternative tires if the Michelins wear so rapidly. Thanks in advance.

Okay, I found some sources. These are a bit dated, but the physics of the car are the same - that hasn't changed.

1. Although this source doesn't directly address my original statement about more power being applied to the front axle during cruising, you could infer that this may (or may not) be the case; it depends on road conditions. The article also addresses the question about which axle is providing regenerative braking. In their words,

Also, the all wheel drive system in the dual-motor cars distributes available electrical horsepower to maximize torque (and power) in response to road grip conditions and weight transfer in the vehicle. For instance, during hard acceleration, weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle. The front motor must reduce torque and power in order to prevent the front wheels from spinning. That power is fed to the rear motor where it can be used immediately. The opposite happens when braking, when the front motor can accept more regenerative braking torque and power.

Here's the source:
Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications

2. Backing up the quote above and countering the thought that more power is applied to the front axle for acceleration, I want to draw your attention to Slide #3. Notice that in the 'performance' version of the dual-wheel drive vehicle, the motor that's enhanced is the rear. I would think that if more power is applied to the front axle for acceleration (i.e. 'performance'), the front would be the one to enhance.

Model S Premium Electric Sedan

Thoughts?

Joe

Remains to be seen but I've never had a car wear out the rear tires first and I've had quite a few rear and front wheel drives over the decades. This is my first AWD and so far, I rotated (criss crossed back to front) the 19" Geminis at 6K. Couldn't really tell if fronts were wearing more than the rear, but then again, I didn't measure them.

When I hit 12K, I may lube the calipers. Currently nearing 9K and I finally bought a portable air compressor + tire plugs. Put em in the trunk well last night as I'm tired of rolling the dice. Next, I'm looking into a decent scissor jack.

Lots of high rise construction going on here in ATL that I'm learning to start avoiding them. Had a flat in my truck a few weeks ago, new Yokohamas. Screw was in the shoulder, so I got a replacement due to road hazard warranty. Do these continentals come with road hazard when the car is new? I think I know where I picked up the screw, so now I go a different route bypassing that construction.

Remains to be seen but I've never had a car wear out the rear tires first and I've had quite a few rear and front wheel drives over the decades. This is my first AWD and so far, I rotated (criss crossed back to front) the 19" Geminis at 6K. Couldn't really tell if fronts were wearing more than the rear, but then again, I didn't measure them.

When I hit 12K, I may lube the calipers. Currently nearing 9K and I finally bought a portable air compressor + tire plugs. Put em in the trunk well last night as I'm tired of rolling the dice. Next, I'm looking into a decent scissor jack.

Lots of high rise construction going on here in ATL that I'm learning to start avoiding them. Had a flat in my truck a few weeks ago, new Yokohamas. Screw was in the shoulder, so I got a replacement due to road hazard warranty. Do these continentals come with road hazard when the car is new? I think I know where I picked up the screw, so now I go a different route bypassing that construction.
I bought this when I took delivery of my Model S. I love being able to rotate my own wheels (they're staggered):

Quick Jack

Okay, I found some sources. These are a bit dated, but the physics of the car are the same - that hasn't changed.

1. Although this source doesn't directly address my original statement about more power being applied to the front axle during cruising, you could infer that this may (or may not) be the case; it depends on road conditions. The article also addresses the question about which axle is providing regenerative braking. In their words,

Here's the source:
Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications

2. Backing up the quote above and countering the thought that more power is applied to the front axle for acceleration, I want to draw your attention to Slide #3. Notice that in the 'performance' version of the dual-wheel drive vehicle, the motor that's enhanced is the rear. I would think that if more power is applied to the front axle for acceleration (i.e. 'performance'), the front would be the one to enhance.

Model S Premium Electric Sedan

Thoughts?

Joe
I don't think this is a good article to reference due to the differences in the motor setup between the older S and the current powertrains. The Y uses induction motor in the front (same as the older S) but the permanent rear magnet motor in the rear. The S uses induction motors front and rear for their long range version.

To answer your question in the first point, the front induction motors on the Model Y dual motor typically are not active until you get a little more aggressive with the throttle, activating at approximately 20% throttle. In normal cruising situations with the throttle being less than 30% (bottom, blue graph line), the front motors are not active/not generating torque. If you look at my datalog below, you can see the front motor (pink) in the top graph not generating any torque until the throttle position is greater than 30%. It'll also activate when there's slippage detected on the rear axle.

Although my graph chopped off the regen data, you can see that the rear motor (teal line) is doing the vast majority of the regen regardless of the conditions.

1699984435944.png

I don't think this is a good article to reference due to the differences in the motor setup between the older S and the current powertrains. The Y uses induction motor in the front (same as the older S) but the permanent rear magnet motor in the rear. The S uses induction motors front and rear for their long range version.

To answer your question in the first point, the front induction motors on the Model Y dual motor typically are not active until you get a little more aggressive with the throttle, activating at approximately 20% throttle. In normal cruising situations with the throttle being less than 30% (bottom, blue graph line), the front motors are not active/not generating torque. If you look at my datalog below, you can see the front motor (pink) in the top graph not generating any torque until the throttle position is greater than 30%. It'll also activate when there's slippage detected on the rear axle.

Although my graph chopped off the regen data, you can see that the rear motor (teal line) is doing the vast majority of the regen regardless of the conditions.

View attachment 990678
I drove.a Tesla therefore drive it fast

My 19" Contis still have some wear on them after 40,000 miles, the tires wear evenly. I had them rotated by Tesla after one year, even though their service people said I didn't need it. At two years I asked them to do it again, they measured the tread and it was equal all around so I took their advice and didn't rotate. I am a fairly spirited driver FWIW.

Reactions: pt19713

With my venerable S60 RWD, the rear tires wore out much faster than the fronts. Expecting the rears on the new Y LR to also wear out faster than the fronts, since the rear motor does most of the work and, I gather, carries more weight.

I also carry a pump and plug kit, as well as other tools for tire changing. I live and drive in remote rural areas and need to be able to self-rescue. Most of the time I can make it home to plug the tire in my garage but I've done it on the road a couple of times. Stuff happens — you know you're going to have a tough day when you get out to check a TPMS warning and you hear hissing!

I drove.a Tesla therefore drive it fast
Guys
Update on MYP with Mich Pilots after 10K miles and a recent 120MPH run
8 32nds of tread, evenly across all four staggered 275/255 21s tires
I just did rhe 2 floor jack, side to side rotation
Therefore some observations with the Freemont built 2023 (built Nov 2022) MYP with Mich Pilots:

No evident camber issues in the rear
Rears are not wearing first, at this time
The evenness of the wear talks to the build quality, top notch

This vehicle is amazing

Guys
Update on MYP with Mich Pilots after 10K miles and a recent 120MPH run
8 32nds of tread, evenly across all four staggered 275/255 21s tires
I just did rhe 2 floor jack, side to side rotation
Therefore some observations with the Freemont built 2023 (built Nov 2022) MYP with Mich Pilots:

No evident camber issues in the rear
Rears are not wearing first, at this time
The evenness of the wear talks to the build quality, top notch

This vehicle is amazing
While I do agree that Teslas are amazing, most vehicles will hold proper alignment when new. 10K is a single oil change for some vehicles. Post again in 100K and see how it is then.

While I do agree that Teslas are amazing, most vehicles will hold proper alignment when new. 10K is a single oil change for some vehicles. Post again in 100K and see how it is then.
A 100K between alignments, I don’t think even the Rolls Royce at $400K could accomplish that.
If the tires wear evenly for their life, 50K, I’d be amazed