Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tirerack "Model X P100D" vs "Model X Performance"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for winter wheel/tires for my new Model X "Raven" on tirerack.com, where I've been a customer for a long time, but when I add a new vehicle it gives me the option to select "Model X P100D" or "Model X Performance"... well, the former is also a Performance model...

What's the difference?

Have the wheels/tires specs for the X changed with the new Raven models?

What are the snow wheels/tires that people have successfully used with their Raven Xes?

Of course I've put my 19x8.5 Rial Lugano with 245/45R-19 Michelin X-Ice XI3 XL for sale here since I won't be using them on the S anymore (my wife drives the S now with the summer tires, and we'll be taking the X to Tahoe). If anyone wants them, please give me a holler! It snowed in Tahoe this week!

Thanks!

Reactions: Rossy
Tesla no longer uses battery sizes in their naming. They are including the new naming for those who have a newer model that doesn't have a battery size. If your car came with a battery size model number on the back use P100D. If not then use "Performance". Or choose what matches the naming on the main computer display. I don't think the wheel/tire sizes are different, but use what matches your car just to be safe.

If your car came with a battery size model number on the back use P100D. If not then use "Performance". Or choose what matches the naming on the main computer display.

Thanks for your message, but I'm not sure that is the right algorithm: my car just says "Dual Motor" in the back, which is independent from "Performance" or not. The newer cars just say that: "Dual Motor", with an underline if you have Ludicrous (which implies Performance). If you had a performance non-ludicrous X it would still say "Dual Motor", just like a non-performance model.

I wish someone from Tirerack on here could advise me: I've gone through the "live chat" option on their website, but the person I ended up talking to didn't really know. I seem to recall there was a person from Tirerack roaming the forum and who was knowledgeable about Tesla's offering - but I can't remember who it was. If I knew who it was I'd be happy to message him.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Thanks for your message, but I'm not sure that is the right algorithm: my car just says "Dual Motor" in the back, which is independent from "Performance" or not. The newer cars just say that: "Dual Motor", with an underline if you have Ludicrous (which implies Performance). If you had a performance non-ludicrous X it would still say "Dual Motor", just like a non-performance model.

I wish someone from Tirerack on here could advise me: I've gone through the "live chat" option on their website, but the person I ended up talking to didn't really know. I seem to recall there was a person from Tirerack roaming the forum and who was knowledgeable about Tesla's offering - but I can't remember who it was. If I knew who it was I'd be happy to message him.

“Dual Motor” means 100D.
“Dual Motor” with red underline means Performance.

why are you choosing model in Tirerack? It has nothing to do with what tires are on your vehicle. Compare wheel size and tire size to be sure.

“Dual Motor” means 100D.

why are you choosing model in Tirerack? It has nothing to do with what tires are on your vehicle. Compare wheel size and tire size to be sure.

I use the Tesla Shop for reference on sizes.

There are two sizes, staggered 20” or square 19”. Not a lot of choices on snows. I don’t think Performance makes any difference. If you choose optional size on Tirerack it will show the 19”. I think I’ll probably just get mine from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rossy and redox
“Dual Motor” means 100D.

This doesn't help me though: the options on the popup menu are "P100D" or "Performance". I happen to have an X that fits both descriptions, and I wonder what I should pick. Perhaps this makes it clearer?

BTW, on the back of my car, I have "Dual Motor" with underline, but not red.

You've never used Tirerack before I take it? You create profiles for your cars so you can find products that fit your car (much like Amazon does).
I'm not sure why my intentions are questioned.

Of course I can compare wheel and tire size, but even then there are options for a given model. On my S, for example, the summer tires are 20s while the winter tires are 19s... then there's depths and shims as an added dimension, weight ratings for wheels and tires, etc, so I find it safer to simply let the computer tell me "these are the wheels/tires that will work for your vehicle" in addition to double checking sizes. Not to mention it makes it easier to return the products if they don't fit and were recommended for my car (I've never had that problem with tirerack though).

Last edited:
This doesn't help me though: the options on the popup menu are "P100D" or "Performance". I happen to have an X that fits both descriptions, and I wonder what I should pick. Perhaps this makes it clearer?
You've never used Tirerack before I take it? You create profiles for your cars so you can find products that fit your car (much like Amazon does).
Of course I can compare wheel and tire size, but even then there are options for a given model. On my S, for example, the summer tires are 20s while the winter tires are 19s... then there's depths and shims as an added dimension, weight ratings for wheels and tires, etc, so I find it safer to simply let the computer tell me "these are the wheels/tires that will work for your vehicle" in addition to double checking sizes. Not to mention it makes it easier to return the products if they don't fit and were recommended for my car (I've never had that problem with tirerack though).
I just bought 20" Continentals from TireRack for my 2017 X100D. Same ones that came with. They were great on the first set for almost 40K miles running 44 (48/49 when really hot) lbs.
I just played with my profile. Perf, P100D, 100D and didn't see any difference in the tire size options between the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: redox and jet44
It would be safe to assume the P100D refers to NON raven models and Performance would refer to the raven. That being said i dont think there is a difference when it comes to tires. Just the sizes 19 20 22

It doesn't really matter in the context of Tirerack (because you can get a Performance/P100D Model X with 19" wheels, and a 75D Model X with 22" wheels — seems you missed that point), but you have a Performance. It's not a "P100D" because it doesn't say "P100D" behind your car. You have a Model X Long Range Performance (with or without Ludicrous, but you probably have it).

It would be safe to assume the P100D refers to NON raven models and Performance would refer to the raven. That being said i dont think there is a difference when it comes to tires. Just the sizes 19 20 22

Yeah I'm not to worried about the tires actually. I'm more worried about the wheels - whether it is strong enough to hold the weight and also not interfere with the brake/arm (wheels have various offsets).

Thanks for your message, but I'm not sure that is the right algorithm: my car just says "Dual Motor" in the back
I'll make it simple.

You've mentioned that your car says "Dual Motor" on the back and that it is underlined.

You have what is now called "the Performance model". Choose "Model X Performance" in the tirerack menus. You will still have to specify your tire size in the next menu item anyway because the performance models are shipped with 2 different sizes (and 1 additional size for historic reasons that may return). You'll have to choose the size that is already on your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: redox
I'll make it simple.

You've mentioned that your car says "Dual Motor" on the back and that it is underlined.

You have what is now called "the Performance model". Choose "Model X Performance" in the tirerack menus. You will still have to specify your tire size in the next menu item anyway because the performance models are shipped with 2 different sizes (and 1 additional size for historic reasons that may return). You'll have to choose the size that is already on your car.

Hey thanks! That was simple!
I just did what you suggested and something new happened: my size started appearing in the popup: 265 front and 275 rear, so that's good news! (it wasn't showing previously, so their database may have gotten an update)

Now here's where it stops: I selected winter tire/wheel packages to see what options they have, and it asked me if I was looking at 19 or 20 inches for my new set, so I picked 19 for hitting the snow. First they make you select the tires, so I selected the Pirelli Scorpion option in 265/275 variant (it's the only option they had with different sizes front & rear), then they want you to select the wheels... and poooof:
"
WE'RE SORRY.
There are no wheels available for your vehicle.
"

Is it because of the difference in sizes between front & back?

Thanks!

Now here's where it stops: I selected winter tire/wheel packages to see what options they have, and it asked me if I was looking at 19 or 20 inches for my new set, so I picked 19 for hitting the snow. First they make you select the tires, so I selected the Pirelli Scorpion option in 265/275 variant (it's the only option they had with different sizes front & rear), then they want you to select the wheels... and poooof:
"
WE'RE SORRY.
There are no wheels available for your vehicle.
"

Is it because of the difference in sizes between front & back?
Thanks!
You probably are asking for something that doesn't exist (unintentionally). I see now that I've gone through the process that they give you an option that leads you there which is probably bad database setup on their part.

Note that you should choose the size tire that is on your car if you choose to mount the tires on your existing wheels. The tires that came on your car were matched to your wheel size. If you are going to get new wheels (for example, as part of a completely separate winter wheel/tire package) then different size tires may be needed.

Your 20" wheels have 265/275, and we know that there are wheels that support that tire size in 20", but since you are going for 19" winter wheels, then a different tire size may be appropriate. For example, the Tesla branded winter wheel/tire package for the Model X uses 19" wheels with 265 all around - they aren't staggered for their winter package. And the 19" wheels they use are narrower than the 20" wheels, which is probably why they can't fit 275s on the rear.

If I go through the tirerack process (starting from "Tires -> SHOP -> By Vehicle" in their menus) and select Tesla, 2019, Model X Performance, 265/275, zip code, winter wheel/tire package, 19" packages, and choose the one 265/275 set listed at the bottom, I notice that it says "Alternate Size(s)" which means that they aren't the primary choice for 19" winter snow packages - and then I get the same "no wheels for this size" that you see. That's likely because the 275s are too wide for any 19" wheels they sell. Those tires might fit some wheel somewhere that you can get, but they don't sell it. They shouldn't be showing it to you if you asked them to show you full wheel/tire packages unless they also sold wheels that match.

But, if I back up and choose a set of 265's all around, similar to the Tesla Winter package, I see some wheel offerings. I chose the same "4x265 Pirelli Scorpion Winter" tires that Tesla uses (not the run-flat version) and the first wheels I saw on the wheel page (and added TPMS sensors when they asked because the Tesla package comes with those sensors as well) and it came to $2200 which is $600 less than Tesla's similar winter wheel/tire package. I think those were the cheapest wheel options, though, so depending on your taste in wheels YMMV, though there are only 3 wheel options and the most expensive end up at $2660.

So, the answer is, go with 265s all around if you are doing a winter wheel/tire package.

• Informative
Reactions: redox
You probably are asking for something that doesn't exist (unintentionally). I see now that I've gone through the process that they give you an option that leads you there which is probably bad database setup on their part.

Note that you should choose the size tire that is on your car if you choose to mount the tires on your existing wheels. The tires that came on your car were matched to your wheel size. If you are going to get new wheels (for example, as part of a completely separate winter wheel/tire package) then different size tires may be needed.

Your 20" wheels have 265/275, and we know that there are wheels that support that tire size in 20", but since you are going for 19" winter wheels, then a different tire size may be appropriate. For example, the Tesla branded winter wheel/tire package for the Model X uses 19" wheels with 265 all around - they aren't staggered for their winter package. And the 19" wheels they use are narrower than the 20" wheels, which is probably why they can't fit 275s on the rear.

If I go through the tirerack process (starting from "Tires -> SHOP -> By Vehicle" in their menus) and select Tesla, 2019, Model X Performance, 265/275, zip code, winter wheel/tire package, 19" packages, and choose the one 265/275 set listed at the bottom, I notice that it says "Alternate Size(s)" which means that they aren't the primary choice for 19" winter snow packages - and then I get the same "no wheels for this size" that you see. That's likely because the 275s are too wide for any 19" wheels they sell. Those tires might fit some wheel somewhere that you can get, but they don't sell it. They shouldn't be showing it to you if you asked them to show you full wheel/tire packages unless they also sold wheels that match.

But, if I back up and choose a set of 265's all around, similar to the Tesla Winter package, I see some wheel offerings. I chose the same "4x265 Pirelli Scorpion Winter" tires that Tesla uses (not the run-flat version) and the first wheels I saw on the wheel page (and added TPMS sensors when they asked because the Tesla package comes with those sensors as well) and it came to $2200 which is $600 less than Tesla's similar winter wheel/tire package. I think those were the cheapest wheel options, though, so depending on your taste in wheels YMMV, though there are only 3 wheel options and the most expensive end up at $2660.

So, the answer is, go with 265s all around if you are doing a winter wheel/tire package.

First, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to go through the tirerack flow and seeing the problem.

I agree with you about going with 265s on all wheels for winter if closing a 19" size. Then of course, it opens up a couple of new questions:
  • do all the wheels actually fit the Model X? Yes, I know that in theory, they should, since they are returned by the database as fitting, but I'd love to hear "in practice" rather than "in theory": does it clear the brake, the arm, does it need spacers/shims? does it support the weight? (I've seen some posts, I don't remember if it was in here, where it shows a wheel "bent" after being used on a Tesla - I don't remember if it was S or X - and I presume that buyer was also told "it would work") - the best would be a testimony: "I bought wheels <so_and_so> on my Raven X and it fits perfectly. No risk of touching any parts." - I personally can provide the testimony for the Rial Lugano wheels + X-Ice on an S because that's what I've been using successfully to go to Tahoe.
  • what chains/cables would work on those wheels? Not that I'd ever want to use them (I never used mine with the X-Ice tires even in a blizzard) but checkpoints often check that you carry them. It's a bit ironic since snow tires are supposedly better at handling the snow/ice "bare" than if you put chains on them, but I don't know that I'd want to get into an argument with an officer during a blizzard.

Of course, there is always the option of going the "tesla way": they offer the winter wheel package in 20" and 265/275... and they've presumably tested, so that's always a fallback, but I'd prefer to get a 19" if I could.

Thanks again!

I have a 2017 Model X with 20” wheels 100D non Performance model. I went with 19” all around winter tires. I like smaller rims as I think I get a smoother ride with them. Although I’ve read I will loose a bit of range with these tires.