Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for 21" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobR

May 15, 2016
Sweden
I have ordered a Tesla Model S 70 with the standard 19" wheels. Im planning to use the set of wheels for my winter tires and buy a pair of Vossen VFS2 in anthracite 21x9 (not staggered). I would like to have a set of tires wich doesn't use to much energy compared to the 19" and also a tire that doesn't have to much noise from the road... What should I buy?

21x9 wheels pretty much dictates that you're going to use 245/35R21 tires (Tesla's standard size tires for 21" wheels). The wheel itself will fit 255 and 265 tires, but there are no 255/35R21 tires available, and 265 tires would rub the inside of the front wheel wells.

In 245/35R21 tires, there are fewer selections available than other sizes, and all of them are summer tires (no all seasons), or there are a couple winter tires. None of them are rated for low rolling resistance.

The ones with the best noise profile will be:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
2. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
3. Continental ExtremeContact DW
4. Continental Contisport Contact 5P (these have the ContiSilent technology)

You might consider the Vossens in a 20x9 instead. There's a larger tire selection in 245/40R20 and 255/40R20, and there is a low-rolling resistance tire available, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus. The Pirelli Cinturato has a bit lower traction for launches, but this should not be an issue with the Model S 70.

21x9 wheels pretty much dictates that you're going to use 245/35R21 tires (Tesla's standard size tires for 21" wheels). The wheel itself will fit 255 and 265 tires, but there are no 255/35R21 tires available, and 265 tires would rub the inside of the front wheel wells.

In 245/35R21 tires, there are fewer selections available than other sizes, and all of them are summer tires (no all seasons), or there are a couple winter tires. None of them are rated for low rolling resistance.

The ones with the best noise profile will be:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
2. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
3. Continental ExtremeContact DW
4. Continental Contisport Contact 5P (these have the ContiSilent technology)

You might consider the Vossens in a 20x9 instead. There's a larger tire selection in 245/40R20 and 255/40R20, and there is a low-rolling resistance tire available, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus. The Pirelli Cinturato has a bit lower traction for launches, but this should not be an issue with the Model S 70.

Thanks for your help!
Wich tire would you choose for the 21"? I am thinking about 245/35/21 Continental Contisport Contact 5P....

Thanks for your help!
Wich tire would you choose for the 21"? I am thinking about 245/35/21 Continental Contisport Contact 5P....

I can let you know about these in a non-staggered setup next week. Just placed an order for them and should be here middle next week.

I've used Michelin's in past on my other cars and LOVED them, so this will be a bit of an experiment to see if I like the Continentals as much.

In a staggered set I thought the 21 x 8.5 wheels (front) from Tesla used 245/35R21 tires, and the rear 21 x 9 wheels (back) from Tesla used 265/35R21 tires.

Yes, that is correct, but his Vossens are not a staggered set, they're square (all 4 wheels 21x9).

Thanks for your help!

I would go with either the Contisport Contact 5P or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.