Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live and brought my Model Y in New Jersey. I paid cash for the car. I received my registration card and NJ Plates via UPS yesterday, however, the Title was not in the package. Is the Title sent separately by Tesla or NJ MVC separately?

Thanks in advance.

I live and brought my Model Y in New Jersey. I paid cash for the car. I received my registration card and NJ Plates via UPS yesterday, however, the Title was not in the package. Is the Title sent separately by Tesla or NJ MVC separately?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still waiting on my title. I got the plates the day before the temps expired but still no title. I picked up my model 3 on 2/27 so it's been 51 days now with no title. I texted Tesla and he said to give it until the end of the month. So basically, it might be awhile before you get the title.

I took a 3 years loan from my 401K cause I want to pay everything back to myself including interest and paid the car off to Tesla which include some money from my savings. Since I didn't take out a loan from the bank. Do I have to wait till I paid it all to my 401K first before the DMV send me the title. First time doing this. It's been gonna be 5 weeks since I got the car.

Different states do it different ways.
In KY for example I got the title in the mail and had bring it to DMV to register the car. Title is stamped with lean holder information and I keep the title.
My credit union contacted me few months :) later asking where is the title and asking to send it to them to hold it until loan is paid off. I explained that in KY title is stamped to identify them as a lean holder. They were ok do get a pdf scan after that.
Max

Different states do it different ways.
In KY for example I got the title in the mail and had bring it to DMV to register the car. Title is stamped with lean holder information and I keep the title.
My credit union contacted me few months :) later asking where is the title and asking to send it to them to hold it until loan is paid off. I explained that in KY title is stamped to identify them as a lean holder. They were ok do get a pdf scan after that.
Max
In CT you don't get a title until your car is paid off. On my previous ICE cars I would get the title couple weeks after my car was paid off. Yeah, you're right every states handle things differently.

Thanks. I texted Tesla and was told that it is sent by NJ DMV and could take up to 90 days after taking possession.
How did you text tesla
Pls share their contact number
I'm still waiting on my title. I got the plates the day before the temps expired but still no title. I picked up my model 3 on 2/27 so it's been 51 days now with no title. I texted Tesla and he said to give it until the end of the month. So basically, it might be awhile before you get the title.
how did you text them. I am facing same issue. Pls share the number where you texted them

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I took a 3 years loan from my 401K cause I want to pay everything back to myself including interest and paid the car off to Tesla which include some money from my savings. Since I didn't take out a loan from the bank. Do I have to wait till I paid it all to my 401K first before the DMV send me the title. First time doing this. It's been gonna be 5 weeks since I got the car.
No. You basically took out a loan with yourself. You paid cash for the car with that money which means you're the title holder. The DMV doesn't sit on the title. They send it to whomever is legally allowed to hold the title. If you financed it, that means the bank/credit union/etc. If you pay cash, then that's you.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer