Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing unreasonable about that. Everyone has a right to get twisted about anything they think is important. If paint, is more important than driving dynamics and technology and EV experience then sure, there are plenty of gas cars that drives crappy but has excellent paint.

What is unreasonable and OP is getting a lot of flak are these comments:

If you want an eye-candy garage queen, that is perfectly allright. But with that kind of an attitude, why even bother with an EV and waste everyone's time?

That's my thought exactly. Why is he posting here? What is he trying to say? If he doesn't like the car, don't buy it. No problem.

And I have to say that my house and car are powered by solar on batteries. Sorry about that. And here on the Northern left coast, we have NatGas, Hydro, Geothermal, solar, wind, powering our grid (and who knows what else), but it's not coal until you get over into Nevada and beyond.

Reactions: 1 person
Then don't give it up.......its not too late to turn this around, but you need to turn around too.
I think you know what needs to be done. Would it surprise you if I said "just do it" ;)

It will be worth it TheQ!

I agree you should not give up.

First of all, thanks for the hint for going through the inspection of the paint. I'm due to pickup my Pearl White X in the next two weeks and your experience will help me to focus on the bumper.

If it just the bumper for each of the cars, then obviously it's just the automation issue or manual labor issue. I would post to Tesla Forum something like "Whoever programmed to paint or paints Pearl White on the bumper should be Fired!" If we love the cars and believe in the company, then the customers can make a difference to help company get better.

My .02? Sending something like that to the CEO of a company that's quietly revolutionizing a 100 year old industry, fixing problems as fast as they can, and when they can't, inventing solutions to solve those problems, is just unnecessary and frankly says a lot about you and no one else. It was accusatory, inflammatory, and frankly, what do you think he's going to do? Personally go to the paint booth? Say "aw geez dude here's a free one". Why are you singling him out? Isn't it the paint man?

I mean, Sam Walton got this whole idea of "The customer is always right", but no, they're not. I'm not saying that the paint wasn't bad or could not have been better, but frankly, if the paint is what ruins the entire experience for you, that's your deal, go buy another car. But posting a thread on a forum like that is rude, unrealistic, and frankly, dehumanizing for both the recipient and the observers.

You're right, you're not buying a Twinkie. Act like it and vote with your dollars, not with your mouth and don't treat people that way. A car isn't worth that.

Sometimes my S has / does little weird stuff too. But I don't sweat it because what I have is a helluva lot better than what I had.

You put in a 220 outlet for nothing? Bought some add-ons? They lost a customer like you? Is it going to hurt you or them that bad?

You've humanized an entire company into one man and then *sugar* on him publicly. You're out of line.

Ryan

Not sure why I was quoted here and I don't have the time to read the entire thing... I will assign a person to do that for me and give me the summary. I love TESLA but their customer service is on level 0 (ZERO) right now. So as much as I like Elon Musk, I have decided to stay on planet Earth and help this place run well. He is going to Mars. Let's fix this mess first and get rid of oil before we go burn a bunch of it trying to get to Mars.

The world uses about 87mbpd (million barrels per day. 1 barrel = about 220 litres).
The US uses about 20mbpd on average (more in summer and winter due to driving,heating oil).
The US has been able to increase it's oil production to a new high of about 15mbpd by tapping "unconventional oil".
"Conventional" oil peaked back in about 2010 in the World, about 1970ish in the US.The growth is coming completely from unconventional sources. Though unconventional won't last - and you should see the fall-off in the wells. Sometimes 30% after year 1. It's only keeping up due to massive drilling programs when oil was closer to $100.
As congress said it's far easier to save a bit on fuel-economy than move the US to 15-17mbpd.
There's a glut of oil but that's only because the middle east (Saudi's) are trying to kill of the American unconventional oil companies by flooding the market even when prices are low. It probably won't be long until the long-term downtrend catches up with world oil consumption again and oil shoots back to $100+.
America should be filling up it's Strategic Petroleum Reserve at these prices.
More from a waste and pollution point of view - cheap oil is very bad for the future of humanity - like 50,100+ years. Future society is going to look back at our wasteful lives and feel pretty angry. Agriculture, shipping, medicine, plastics, flying - for some things oil has few substitutes and one day there won't be sufficient to run everything.
When oil went to $140 a barrel before you have people in the West complaining about the cost of fuel for their Hummer or equivalent. But in the Phillipines you have people who on a $5 wage can't buy oil to cook food for their children eating un-cooked meat, and in West Africa they couldn't afford oil to run their power stations to have even a simple standard of living.
Anyway I like Tesla / Elon's vision - and his ability to push it into reality. Massive solar + Massive batteries + Electric transport. If he can make a true "solar-roof" and revolutionise the roofing industry through it (as he mentioned on the SolarCity call) then that'd be a big step to a more sustainable planet.
I've got solar on my house. Since the panels were fitted 18 months ago. LG's best panels have gone from 285w to 340. Sunpower have 350w panels. SolarCity's tech will be about that too. You can't go much beyond that without getting into ridiculous costs - but at that density (250w/meter) you only need a reasonably big roof to run your car+house (dependent on insolar radiation in your area) - at least in Spring-Autumn!!
Note I live in England and it was worth it to get solar installed as our "Feed-in-tariff" was going to be cut. It actually pays for itself in 6 years. It cost £5200 for 4kw. We have a guaranteed income for 20years from the government at 13.5p/kwh - about £500 per year + our own electric saving + free hot water (as it also runs our immersion).
Some people will look to electric cars to be part of that future - and have an exciting car.
Others will have 1st world problems of their "diamond earrings scratching their iphone", or go over their paint work with a microscope looking for issues and miss the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Anyway I like Tesla / Elon's agenda. Massive solar + Massive batteries + Electric transport.
I've got solar on my house. Since the panels were fitted 2 years ago. LG's best panels have gone from 285w to 340. Sunpower have 350w panels. You can't go much beyond that - but at that density you only need a reasonably big roof to run your car+house (dependent on insolar radiation in your area) - at least in Spring-Autumn.
I'm with you here, I like what Tesla is doing.

It sure looks like solar panel efficiencies are getting better, and will continue to get better. The researchers are seeing up to double the power per foot, of the current panels, in the lab. Technology marches on.