Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To flash or not to flash - dash cam lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine are off. An educated thief is going to remove the microSD card or the entire camera anyway.

I don't know that blinking is going to do much for the standard less-intelligent thief, so don't want to make it any easier for him/her/it than I have to.

I don't have a dashcam but I do have 9 high end HD security cameras. If your goal is to discourage people from breaking into or vandalizing your property leave them on. Its a huge deterrent if people know you have cameras (ask any security expert). On the other hand if you want to covertly catch people doing bad things turn them off. Unless its a big distraction while driving I would want people to know I am protected proactively so they don't damage anything and would leave them on.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I don't have a dashcam but I do have 9 high end HD security cameras. If your goal is to discourage people from breaking into or vandalizing your property leave them on. Its a huge deterrent if people know you have cameras (ask any security expert). On the other hand if you want to covertly catch people doing bad things turn them off. Unless its a big distraction while driving I would want people to know I am protected proactively so they don't damage anything and would leave them on.

That is indeed the flipside. The LEDs are not visible while driving. But the front dashcam is clearly visible to anyone who looks at the front windshield. And the rear if I remember right doesn't blink - I've only ever seen it on or off. And through tint, it's not that bright to begin with.

I have left mine off because I thought it might actually incent some jerk to break into the car to steal it. It's great to see the opposite opinions expressed. However, now I am torn! @msnow, can you elaborate on the security expert opinions?

Thanks!
I have a couple of police and corporate security friends who confirm (and it makes sense) that visibility of security devices such as cameras is a big deterrent to crime. The burgler or vandal would just assume go after something without a camera to reduce the risk of getting caught so they move on.

They also agree that if you're *trying* to catch someone doing something (babysitter, cheating wife, bad kids, etc) clandestinely it's best to hide or not draw attention to the camera.

So it depends on your requirements.

i want them to just stay away from my car - I have watched video of people walking by the car and when they realize they are on camera - they make a wider arch - to stay away from the camera.

Interesting side footage filmed in our corporate garage - I was on travel and left it for several days overnight -confirmed what I suspected of two employees one evening..... people just don't pay attention to their surroundings. nuts.. I have them both Teslas..

I keep my home security cameras in plain view as a deterrent. I even once caught a thief heading towards my house, notice the camera and move onto my neighbor's house instead - the only reason I looked because my neighbor asked as the thief triggered his alarm trying to pry open the backyard door.

HOWEVER, my dashcam I keep dark, as it attracts smash and grab thieves. They don't care if they are on a camera - they count on the 3s in-and-out robbery. The stupid opportunistic smash and grabbers don't care if they are on camera, they care about fast in-out and a flashing light would draw their attention to a possible smash and grab target (they may not even realize it's a camera). The educated ones will also know that if they grab the camera they will also have the footage in their possession. This is not true with home security cameras, I have 16 of them around the property, setup to to eliminate blindspots. Most thieves know they'd have to find and steal the HDD's, and in my case the stills from motion detection are also stored in the cloud.

I wish Blackvue would add a GPS tracker for that exact reason.
They could, but would you pay the price for the cellular modem and data plan (possibly even a pay up front lifetime plan for tracking only)? Then there is the ability to factory reset the device, so additional cost for blackvue to deal with customers who forgot their password and now need to prove they own the device (rather than stolen) to blackvue so they can unlock it remotely. Long story short it doesn't make fiscal sense - they could probably sell you insurance against it being stolen cheaper than adding all this.