Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To FSD or not..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, and the type of person I am, I would NEVER trust the FSD software. And then, at some point, I would start trusting it and end up trusting it WAY MORE than I should. Finally, I would die in a huge crash, likely taking several people with me.

So, no. But, that's just me...

Seriously, that's what would happen (maybe not the last part, but still).

Reactions: hcdavis3 and teko
well it is getting better all the time and I really like it for my long drives. However, how about you go for a test drive in one at a service center. You might not be able to get a long enough drive to see the full benefit (or some disadvantages), but enough that you will likely get the idea and make a more informed decision.

Better financially to NOT order FSD with your Y. You can avoid paying various tax and license fees forever. Buy it separately on the Tesla web site where you can use a credit card.

Vistan

In theory, download software are not taxable in CA and many states.

In practice, for Tesla over-the-air software purchase, you do have to pay taxes in CA and all other states that have sales tax as if it's a physical disc that you buy in a physical store.

Reactions: kevin1
well it is getting better all the time and I really like it for my long drives. However, how about you go for a test drive in one at a service center. You might not be able to get a long enough drive to see the full benefit (or some disadvantages), but enough that you will likely get the idea and make a more informed decision.
Good idea.. I find myself using standard auto pilot more often lately during my 30 miles commute to and from work. Finding that justification to open pandoras box fully.

I just did a close to 2k-mile round trip in the MY— each half was completed in one day to avoid staying in a hotel, and took about 15 hours, including charging. All highway. Without the self driving, this would have been exhausting and a much more difficult trip. With self driving, it was relaxing and fun. The system is mostly smooth and human-like. Your role is executive overseer and decision maker, but you mostly don’t need to get involved in the nitty gritty! So, for highway driving, at least, it’s a real game-changer.

...I find myself using standard auto pilot more often lately...

Once you know how to manage the automation, it's a joy to pay $7,000.

I love to coordinate all the options I have both automation and manual. All modes at different times to mix and match: Manual, plain autopilot, Navigation-on-Autopilot, Auto-Lane-Change...

I don't just let it goes on 1 pure mode such as on a route that I know Navigation-on-Autopilot tend to pass lane uselessly and I just want to stick to 1 particular lane, I just switch it to plain Autopilot until it's about 1 mile to the exit then I switch back to Navigation-on-Autopilot so it can Auto Lane Change and Auto Exit for me.

Best feature is Auto Lane Change because lots of time it catches my mistakes (I said to myself why it canceled then there's a car zooming by that I didn't notice...)

Maybe if you’re 100% sure you will keep the car forever or close to it. I see people selling used Tesla’s with FSD and they aren’t making much back on it. I don’t want it, but even if I did, it would have pushed the price ($60,000) of the car over the max price for a state rebate of $2,000.

I see the tax being tacked on.. very slick, Tesla...
Actually, blame the interpretation of software vs. hardware. Tesla apparently classifies FSD as enabling HW, and therefore it's tangible and taxable. (Another reason is parity with those who buy it with the car and pay taxes on FSD as part of the total.)

Maybe if you’re 100% sure you will keep the car forever or close to it. I see people selling used Tesla’s with FSD and they aren’t making much back on it. I don’t want it, but even if I did, it would have pushed the price ($60,000) of the car over the max price for a state rebate of $2,000.
And that's why you buy it with a credit card after purchase. Problem solved!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: house9
I bought it, used it for two days, returned it.

I seen no real benefit in making my drive more comfortable over basic autopilot. The highway lane changes were bad. It missed exits and took slower lanes. It was stopping at green lights and braking going under bridges. It still brakes at greens if nobody is in front of you. Summon was fun because it was hilarious trying to figure out what the car was doing in the parking lot. I ended up wanting to turn off lane changes and traffic light recognition so all that was left was auto parking. Auto parking worked ok for me but I can park faster and better myself. It didn't help me.

Reactions: teko