Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To much rock noise from underbelly of vehicle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, where I live they use a mixture of gravel and salt I believe in Alberta. The problem comes that these rocks when they flick up are very noisy when sitting in the cabin. Is this normal for the Model 3 2020 performance? I don't recall it being this loud in my Acura MDX.
Sorry if this has been discussed before but i couldn't find the thread.

Those front fabric wheel liners they sell for the front wheel wells on eBay may actually be a good solution for this problem. I would think most of the rock noise is from hitting the wheel well liner.

The back already has the fabric liners from the factory.

That, and probably some mud flaps.

They spread small rocks in Quebec too. It has scrapped underbody panels on multiple model 3s. Mine got ppf after 9 days of ownership in December and my paint was already showing some scuffs. I had front mudflaps but I guess they weren't big enough. I'll see what the damage is in a couple weeks. The noise is way worse than other cars I've driven in, including a Hyundai Ioniq electric car. There's something bad with projections on the model 3.

I have gotten my front end and rear wheel area ppfed but not rocker panels yet. I may install those mudflaps but i have the performance model and its already very low plus i have a feeling its going to scrape with them on.

I have the performance model with the performance upgrade as well. I tried 2 brands of mud flaps, but removed them because they were scraping on some speed bumps (luckily, I was able to get refunds for them). My car has full exterior Xpel PPF, so the mud flaps were going to be extra protection, but didn't work for me...Good Luck !

Can your local folks look into paving your road(s)?

My P3D+ with Michelin ps4's don't kick up many rocks, however don't drive down gravel roads either.

Maybe I can try to find a gravel road.and see if I get the same results.

Lastly. As we know - its the tires that kick up rocks ( not the car or the road ). Its not Tesla vs Volvo.. Put your Tesla tires on your Volvo and see if you get the same results.

I'm sure your P3D is lower to the ground than the Volvo. If the height off of the ground is a huge contributing factor....then maybe a Model Y is in your future.

Can your local folks look into paving your road(s)?

My P3D+ with Michelin ps4's don't kick up many rocks, however don't drive down gravel roads either.

Maybe I can try to find a gravel road.and see if I get the same results.

Lastly. As we know - its the tires that kick up rocks ( not the car or the road ). Its not Tesla vs Volvo.. Put your Tesla tires on your Volvo and see if you get the same results.

I'm sure your P3D is lower to the ground than the Volvo. If the height off of the ground is a huge contributing factor....then maybe a Model Y is in your future.

Makes sense, those summers tires ps4s are very sticky and the low to the ground just adds to that. Oh well, spring cleaning is just around the corner I guess I can wait.