Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To P or not to P, that is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you looked at the insurance difference? I would stick with the 85D. If you get the P85D then you might as well get the P90D and then you'll be chasing the P100D upgrade when that comes out (further down the rabbit hole). Get an 85D and save the extra money every month for the new Roadster. The 85D is a pretty amazing car! With the money you save in just 1 year you can go to Hawaii and still have an amazing car.

ozweepay said:
(that's the term of the lease). In my Prius, my yearly mileage has been 8,250 over the past 8 years. I went for 12,000 on the MS lease figuring I might drive more just for the pleasure of driving. And I'll probably make with the SC network.

Thanks for the data. Here is what I think. Because you will lease, reselling is not an issue. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you get the 90 or 85 kWh version. Otherwise I would suggest getting a 90 kWh version. At the end of year 3 at 36,000 miles your battery will degrade to 95,2% but this is not important either because you don't plan many long distance trips. Supercharge times are faster with 90 kWh versions. Also non-P supercharges faster than P. However none of that matters for you either because you don't plan many long distance trips. Otherwise I would suggest 90D because it has the fastest supercharge times of any Tesla model. So I think it comes down only to price.

85D: This makes sense
P85D: This makes sense
P90DL: This makes sense

90D: This doesn't make sense. You should buy 85D instead.
P90D non-L: This doesn't make sense. You should buy P85D instead.

Last edited:
I love how, in this thread, every respondent seems to have a strong opinion (rather than waffling as I am doing).

I also love how many people say the choice is perfectly clear given what I've said, then they give answers different from one another! :)

In any case, I'm heading down to the showroom in Park Meadows (south Denver) tomorrow and will test drive a P85D. I'm leaning toward sticking with my 85D at this point, since I view the P as primarily a novelty feature.

I regret that, when I drove the 85D, I didn't really punch it. People are saying the accel is comparable to the P85+, which was already impressive.

I love how, in this thread, every respondent seems to have a strong opinion (rather than waffling as I am doing).

I also love how many people say the choice is perfectly clear given what I've said, then they give answers different from one another! :)

In any case, I'm heading down to the showroom in Park Meadows (south Denver) tomorrow and will test drive a P85D. I'm leaning toward sticking with my 85D at this point, since I view the P as primarily a novelty feature.

I regret that, when I drove the 85D, I didn't really punch it. People are saying the accel is comparable to the P85+, which was already impressive.

When I test drove, they had no 85D demo car in, so I drove the P85D. The Tesla rep told me that the P85D in sports mode is not much faster than an 85D, so I could use that as a comparison. I have no idea how true that actually is, but that's what he said.

Ok - simple solution.

If you can tell the difference between insane and not insane - you should get the P90D. If you cannot - get the 85D.

I can immediately tell if someone (the beautiful woman in the passenger seat) changed it out of insane mode.

My 2c is

Rapid off the mark and same highway performance as the P85D then stick with the 85D and have fun with the spare $$$
Keen on off the line launches, but not bothered about highway acceleration - P85D
Keen on off the line launches, and highway acceleration - P90D Ludicrous

Personally I would simplify this to 85D or P90D Ludicrous and ignore the P85D

My reasoning:
0-30 (ie launching) the P85D is much better than the 85D, and the 90D is slightly better still
30-70 maybe even 90mph (ie most in driving acceleration) - not a lot of difference 85D-P85D, the P85D is current limited by its fuses
90+ the P85D has it over the 85D but not by as much as you might think.

The 90D Ludicrous however overcomes the current limitation of the fuses as it is equipped with new uprated electronic pyro fuses to permit higher power draw.
You get 0-60 in 2.8secs, but more importantly the car now "accelerates 20% faster to 155mph".
Nobody has tested this yet but it is reasonable to assume that this model will be noticeably more powerful at "highway speeds" where the 85D and P85D are essentially similar.

I have a few more days before my MS order is locked in and the only lingering question on my mind is whether to stick with the 85D or go to the P85D. I have only test driven the former.

However, the only reasons I can discern for getting a P85D are:

1. You want to race it on a track against other fast cars
  2. Having just the 85D would leave you with P-ness issues
  3. You like making youtube videos

But really there is no practical reason... right?

My lease payment goes from $1034/mon up to $1380 for a P85D and to $1554 for the P90D.

50% more money to go from a 0-60 time of 4.2 down to 2.8 secs.

And yet I'm still thinking about it! Gah!!

I went through the same thing - my delivery is coming up on August 13th...finally.

I went 85D after lots of reviews on the blogs and conversations with Tesla. Here's why.

1. 4.1 seconds is plenty fast for me to beat most of the 911's by me and, I can't really race a daily driver but I can blow everything off of the line.

2. Tires - I've read on multiple forums that the P means 21's for sure and they need to change them on average about 6-9 months as they chew through them.

3. Cost differentials, while I know that at this level the money is truly "negligable" (first world problem) I just couldn't see the jsutification to pay the extra $$$ for the priviledge of spending extra $$$ on maintenance of tires, etc.

I was comfortable with my manhood in tact, went 85D over 70's for range and the fact that I live in an area that can get snow. And, because it was faster....LOL. I am spending the extra $$$ to get it blacked out, different rims, tint, Xpel, etc...

Good luck with whatever choice you make, I am sure you will not regret either. But, like buying a house, buy the "bones" you want. If you want the 2.8 (which is awesome) then get it. If you are a guy who needs to have the best, then get it. If you want it, get it.

However, if the 85d is more than enough for you then get that.

Either way, I want pictures of yours when its done.

I got the P85D because money wasn't an issue. If it was an issue, I would have got the 85D (had it been around at the time). I can honestly say I haven't done an insane launch in about 2 weeks. Sure, knowing that I can any time is a nice feeling, but after the first 6 months, you use it somewhat sparingly.

All I have to say is that you have not lived until you've P'd :)

As for the P85D, if you get afford it get it. Part of what you pay extra, you will get back when you sell.

And you can configure a P85D with the more practical (better range) and durable (less prone to damage) 19" wheels. I think for the performance you get, the price difference is a bargain. How else could you experience Lamborghini level performance for around $100K in a comfortable, spacious, and safe daily driver?

I test drove a P85D yesterday. It was really an experience, and an undertaking that surprisingly took zero skill. Even though I'd watched 20 videos of people launching in P85D's, I was still shocked at how powerful the feeling was.

I have to admit, I every launch I kept thinking "this can't be good for the car..." :)

Anyway, I've pretty much settled on NOT getting the P85D. The novelty was cool, but I'm positive I wouldn't use it beyond showing a few friends and that'd be it. Not worth the extra $$. And I wouldn't get any added resale value from it because I'm leasing... so I would pay about $300/mon more for this feature. If I could opt in each month, it would be an easy choice: I'd get the P for the first few months, then opt out. But that's not possible...

The 85D is one hell of a car. I know I wouldn't be disappointed with it. The only advantages that I see for getting the P85D over the 85D are a very slight performance improvement and bragging rights. For me, personally, those aren't worth the price premium that comes with a P85D. I'm not even sure the extra cost of a 90D over an 85D would be worth it, unless you really need the extra range.