Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Rims or not to rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
........That is the question!

Model S on order, trying to keep the price as low as possible but I REALLY want the twin turbine 21" wheels. But 4500 upgrade PLUS giving up the OEM rims? thats like 6500 just to upgrade wheels.

what say you TMC crowd? 4500 rolled in to the payments, plus tax, etc... or try to find some take-offs or something better on the aftermarket.

I had 21s and 19s
Honestly the 21s are not worth the 4500, the tires are expensive and too fragile.
Every time I hit a pothole my heart rate would skyrocket awaiting the dreadful low tire pressure warning. Which happened to me on 2 occasions. Hit a pot hole and blew out both tires on the passenger side

The 19s however lasted longer and were a smoother ride. Hitting potholes was also easier on the body and mind.

Of course if you are still inclined to take the risk of the 21s then just order the car with 19s and then purchase the 21s from a 3rd party. Much cheaper and you end up with 2 sets of wheels.

isracing. Go down to the For Sale section on this forum. There's very often wheels for sale. I think you will find what you want.
Order with 19's and you will find a set on the forum to buy for a lot less than 4500. Then put your 19's up for sale.
Winter is coming. (Ever heard that?) People with 21's often have a set of 19's for snow tires.

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen
isracing. Go down to the For Sale section on this forum. There's very often wheels for sale. I think you will find what you want.
Order with 19's and you will find a set on the forum to buy for a lot less than 4500. Then put your 19's up for sale.
Winter is coming. (Ever heard that?) People with 21's often have a set of 19's for snow tires.
Isracing profile shows he’s from the Bay Area. No need for winter tires there.
However the roads there are not kind to the 21in tires.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have been checking out the sale threads looking for some TT21s, lots of old style 21's for sale but I figure if I'm getting a 19 Raven, at least want to be rolling on the OEM option version of the wheels rather than something that's been out for 7 years. But who knows I like the way both look.

And no need for winter tires here so I get your idea about selling mine to re-coup some cash. Not sure what they're worth brand new with less than ~500 miles or so by the time I swap 'em out.

Plus they have been repaving 880 all over the north-east bay so it's smoother these days. Plus I don't commute and would probably have lower than normal mileage on the car.

Plus one of the first things I want to do is lower the car a bit, can you comment on that? are you lowered? lowered on 19s vs 21's ?? for ride quality and range etc.

I recommend the 21" Arachnid wheels. They are lighter and stronger than the Turbines. Plenty of them for sale on TMC or Craigslist which are brand new. Tire damage is still a risk with the 21" wheels. But the handling is far superior, and therefore worth it IMHO, particularly if you enjoy spirited driving.

I ordered my Raven with 19" wheels since I was planning to switch to the Arachnids. I do plan to use the 19" wheels in the winter months when potholes are popping up due to rain. I know it sounds crazy to have "winter tires" in the Bay Area, but this is exactly what I'm doing.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I’m in the Bay Area and currently have a 2016 s that I’m going to trade in on RVG and replace it with a raven s. I share the same delimma. Love the look, However there is no way I would even think about dealing with the headaches associated with the 21 inch rims.

I’m considering tsportline 20 inch rims if anything at all. If $ and time is a concern, u will be spending both trying to keep an s on the road with 21s. It’s not just the out the door cost to consider. Those rims will cost u far more than $4500

I was just in Michigan for the Labour Day weekend and if the roads in Cali are anything like the roads in Michigan, I'd stay away from the 21's. Our roads in Toronto, which can be pretty crappy, are like paved gold compared to the roads I encountered in Michigan. Literally had to drive under 25mph on some roads marked 45mph because of the potholes. Not sure I'd even call them potholes, rather "destroyed roads".

Reactions: dhrivnak
I was just in Michigan for the Labour Day weekend and if the roads in Cali are anything like the roads in Michigan, I'd stay away from the 21's. Our roads in Toronto, which can be pretty crappy, are like paved gold compared to the roads I encountered in Michigan. Literally had to drive under 25mph on some roads marked 45mph because of the potholes. Not sure I'd even call them potholes, rather "destroyed roads".
Oh no sir, the roads in California are no where near as bad as Michigan and Indiana, I’ve drive in both of those states and I couldn’t believe how big the pot holes were.

Since you are asking for opinions, here's mine: I would never pay $4,500 for those wheels. I would personally, buy it without the 21's, and then drive it around. Search the FS section and when some nice used wheels pop up, grab them. If you don't like them, the ride, etc, you can just sell them again, without loosing much or any $.

That's what I would do...

I bought a new MS with 19" slipstreams, then lusted for 21's. Found a take off set of Carbon Twin Turbines $3000k, and will be much easier for you to find in the Bay Area. They look so damn good, changes the whole car. Go for it, especially if not in a pot hole infested urban area, and keep the 19's as spares. If you can afford the car, you can afford the extra tire costs.

Attachments

• before and afer.jpg
    before and afer.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 77
Couldn't justify $4,500 for a wheel Upgrade. Not on this one or any of my previous ones. While the 21's look nice, still not a fan of how recessed they are from the fenders. Not spending $4,500 for that. I bought a set of cheap wheels and tires with sensors for $1,900, out the door. They have 5 mm more offset and get much closer to the edge of the fender for a sportier look. Saved $2,600, plus I still have the stock wheels/tires/sensors that I can sell or keep. Tesla's 19" wheel option for the M3 is a good deal at $1,500. To charge $4,500 on the S has always been too much considering you don't get to keep the 19" wheels. $5,500 for the MX is even more ridiculous.

Reactions: isracing
I bought a new MS with 19" slipstreams, then lusted for 21's. Found a take off set of Carbon Twin Turbines $3000k, and will be much easier for you to find in the Bay Area. They look so damn good, changes the whole car. Go for it, especially if not in a pot hole infested urban area, and keep the 19's as spares. If you can afford the car, you can afford the extra tire costs.

Yes they do look sexy! changes the look of the whole car.

And for the person that said you drive inside.... if that's the case we'd all be in honda civics or corollas, I want to look good 360*