Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To rotate, or not to rotate?!

Rotate tires?

• Yes, rotate

Votes: 77 91.7%
  • No, don’t rotate

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question on rotating: I've usually done my own summer/winter swaps, and changed flats etc, but I've never rotated 4 tires in place. On the Model 3 can this be done with one jack? The Rennstand looks nice but for the price I can get a second floor jack.

You can do it with one jack if you have an extra wheel (like from your other summer/winter set).

Say you want to rotate summer tires in-place.

Jack up LR. Swap summer tire for a winter tire, remove jack.
Jack up LF. Swap the tire that's on the car for the summer one that is now free, remove jack.
Jack up RR. Swap the tire that's on the car for the summer one that is now free, remove jack.
Jack up RF. Swap the tire that's on the car for the summer one that is now free, remove jack.
Jack up LR. Swap the winter tire that you put on the car temporarily with the summer one that is now free, remove jack.
Return winter tire to storage.

This does a rearward-cross rotation.

A question on rotating: I've usually done my own summer/winter swaps, and changed flats etc, but I've never rotated 4 tires in place. On the Model 3 can this be done with one jack? The Rennstand looks nice but for the price I can get a second floor jack.

You can do it with one jack but I'd be pretty nervous about lifting a car as heavy as the Model-3 with a single jack high enough to be able to clear both rims on one side.

You're talking maybe 15 minutes longer for the whole job if you have to do four lifts vs. two lifts if you have a good sized garage and a quality jack that you can easily roll around.

@leisurelee BMW actually recommends against rotating the tires. I believe that their engineers feel that due to the geometry of their cars and quite different wear pattern for front vs. rear tires that you are better off running the tires down without rotating them for safety reasons (part of this is probably also related to running their cars at crazy fast speeds on the Autobahn). So, there's at least one manufacturer who recommends against tire rotation.

@DK21 Personally there's no way I can do a full rotation in 10 minutes, and I don't know anybody who can. Just getting out my air compressor, torque wrench, breaker bar, sockets, lubing my air wrench.... all of that takes more than 10 minutes. I can do a rotation in probably 30 minutes.

You really should consider investing in the tools to do this yourself as it's not particularly hard. Most of the care is in making sure when you put the nuts back on that the wheel is tight to the hub and the nuts are going in easily so you don't cross-thread or strip out a wheel stud (and eventually that will happen to pretty much anyone even if you're careful if you do enough wheel changes).

All you need to do it yourself is a high quality low profile floor jack ($150), a breaker bar ($20), a set of good impact sockets (for future use with an air wrench when you get tired of doing it the slow way $35) and a torque wrench ($65). Oh you'll also need a set of lifting blocks designed for the Model 3, you can get some on eBay for about $40.

So you can spend about $300 and have the minimal set of tools to do it right and not pay Tesla or anyone else $175 a year to rotate your tires.

If this all seems overwhelming to you then honestly just pay Tesla to do the rotation, or just take it to any quality tire shop... you are in CA where every mom and pop shop has probably seen a Model 3 by now, just make sure they know how to lift the car properly and video the condition of the car before they do the work.

Thanks, but my question was specifically how to to it without an extra wheel. Sorry that wasn't clear.

???

If you've done summer/winter swaps, doesn't that directly imply that you have 2 sets of wheels?

If you don't then obviously 1 jack will not work.

I never explicitly have rotated my tires because I change to winter tires and it's just about the range you would rotate them. I just did the swap and I'm at ~6k kms so perfect timing. I'll put the summers back on in a rotated position in the spring.

???

If you've done summer/winter swaps, doesn't that directly imply that you have 2 sets of wheels?

If you don't then obviously 1 jack will not work.

That was on previous cars. I've had many cars, some with a set of winter tires on rims, but all have had a spare. My yet to be delivered Model 3 is the first car I will have had without a spare, and I'm not sure I'll get winter tires. Hence my question.

That was on previous cars. I've had many cars, some with a set of winter tires on rims, but all have had a spare. My yet to be delivered Model 3 is the first car I will have had without a spare, and I'm not sure I'll get winter tires. Hence my question.

I see, thank you for explaining. The only way I would know to do it safely would either be with 2 floor jacks or 1 floor jack and a jackstand like the JackPoint Jackstands.

You might look at a place like Harbor Freight for a 2nd floor jack, they have them at a reasonable price. Depending on what a tire shop charges, it could pay for itself in 2-3 rotations.