Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To rotate, or not to rotate?!

Rotate tires?

• Yes, rotate

Votes: 77 91.7%
  • No, don’t rotate

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
I’m conflicted and trying to seek some clarity. I’ve read other posts and some rotate, others do not. I have the RWD long range, with 19” sport wheels and tires, and I dropped it 1” with the TSportline springs. I know the owner’s manual says rotate at 6,250. I’m at around 7,700 now and haven’t pulled the trigger yet. My local Tesla Service Center wants $87.50 (lunacy) and places like Tire Pros want around $20 to $25. I just fear that they’ll mess something up with the car so I’m letting the fear paralyze me. Someone just tell me I’m being a moron and to go get the tires rotated, or confirm my suspicions please. :) thank you!

I know some people will not like this at all but I have 13k on mine right now, after quite a few road trips and lots of spirited driving I have 3/16" in the rear, 1/4" in the front, or in tire speak thats 6/32's and 8/32's

Stock tire comes with 9/32' shttps://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX&partnum=34WR9PCRXXLCOSI&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model%203&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel%20Drive

So I am scrubbing rubber at a 3 to 1 ratio from the rear tires, at this rate somewhere around 17k miles or so I will be at the halfway point of useful life in the rear and will rotate, by the time I hit 35k my tires will be down to 3/32's or so and I will be replacing them, now I know I could squeeze out more miles if I rotate often but it's really a hassle and I want ps4s in a 245 width anyway.

Tire rotation is a standard maintenance for all cars, due to the tread wear of the tires themselves. You will usually notice greater wear on the "drive train" wheels than the "passive" wheels. eg., if you have RWD the rear tires will wear faster.

So generally speaking, to maximize the life of your tires, you should rotate, balance, and check tire pressure regularly (every 6 months or 6-8k miles).

That said, the only real downside to NOT rotating your tires is the possibility of them wearing out unevenly, which could cause one to need replacing before the others or unusual driving (pulling to one side or steering wheel shaking).

The Tempe, Arizona one quoted me $112 to rotate tires so I just looked into it and it's super easy on the Model 3

How many times do you need to rotate until the tires have to be changed? Let's say the rear tires have to be replaced but the front tires have a little more rubber on them. (You have a RWD and never rotated.) How much is that extra rubber worth? In other words, what's the cost of changing out all 4 tires when 2 had a little bit of life left on them vs. the cost to rotate a few times and get even wear?

Tire rotation recommendations depend on where you live. I spent a few years in the UK, and tire shops over there did not recommend tire rotation (at least on the front wheel drive cars I drove). You wear the fronts out, move the backs to the front, and replace the backs. Oh, and the front tires wore extremely fast due to the obscene number or round-a-bouts. Those things shred tires.

Is tire rotation included by Tesla for free or not? I’ve seen several posts that it’s done for free, and several people being charged.

I’ve been pondering if I should get the tools to do it myself or not. 1.5 hrs from Tesla, but 1/4mi from a little independent place.

I just fear that they’ll mess something up with the car so I’m letting the fear paralyze me. Someone just tell me I’m being a moron and to go get the tires rotated, or confirm my suspicions please.

With rearrangement of your words here, you get the truth. (Hint: it involves them definitely messing things up since all car mechanics are morons. :D That's a joke, btw. Definitely a joke.)

That said, the only real downside to NOT rotating your tires is the possibility of them wearing out unevenly, which could cause one to need replacing before the others or unusual driving (pulling to one side or steering wheel shaking).

I'm old school cause I rotate mine based on what the owner's Manual says (6500 or so for Model 3). The habit partially comes from swapping snow tires when in New England; each time a set went back on it got rotated based on the car's suggestion (model 3 is just front to back I think, some cars are an X pattern).

Why it 'matters' is somewhat personal and I said this in another thread - I want the option to change rubber (model, brand of tire) and it is often better to do all 4 together. Rubber ages too and I prefer the handling characteristics to remain similar across all 4 tires so again keeping them a similar age. Perhaps with heavy Model 3 and tire-eating potential of rear drive, maybe no tire gets to age anyway..

But I will continue to rotate mine as the milage accumulates

24 to 1 ratio pretty much cements my decision. I'll be getting a rotation next week (at around 8,000 miles). BTW, I bought a tire tread gauge, and if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the rears are already at 6/32 but the fronts are at 8/32 (the stock Continentals are rated at 9/32 new). Seems like the rears are wearing down pretty quick!

A good reason to rotate is that tread warranties tend to require regular rotation. I believe the Michelin warranty for the OEM tires states something like "rotation every 6-8k or as recommended by vehicle manufacturer."

Now that being said, I've never used a tread warranty before and don't know whether they ask for proof of that or not...

24 to 1 ratio pretty much cements my decision. I'll be getting a rotation next week (at around 8,000 miles). BTW, I bought a tire tread gauge, and if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the rears are already at 6/32 but the fronts are at 8/32 (the stock Continentals are rated at 9/32 new). Seems like the rears are wearing down pretty quick!
Wow, I have the exact measurements on my tires at 13,000 miles and I do not baby the car, i'm surprised by the quicker wear you are getting.

A question on rotating: I've usually done my own summer/winter swaps, and changed flats etc, but I've never rotated 4 tires in place. On the Model 3 can this be done with one jack? The Rennstand looks nice but for the price I can get a second floor jack.

This is my issue as well. Will probably get Rennstand if I do it myself, as I don't see how it can be done with just one jack.