Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To those taking delivery in Sydney >= September 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, after admiring Teslas for years, I picked up my ā€˜mid-life crisisā€™ present from my wife of a red Model 3 LR. The pickup was easy from Chatswood. After hearing so many horror stories about build quality, I couldnā€™t find a thing wrong with it. The paint was good, shut lines were even and there was even paint on the inside of the door jams! There was hardly any traffic on the way home, and having never been in a moving Tesla before, I decided to boot it on the on-ramp to the highway, and gave myself the fright of my life! Iā€™ve had a couple of fast petrol cars before, but they came nowhere near the acceleration this thing. Iā€™ll really have to watch myself šŸ˜€

The cameras calibrated after about 40kms, and I got to try tacc and autopilot on the way home. Loved tacc (works better than my other cars, which didnā€™t like lane changing and would disengage). I think handing over my trust to the car for autopilot will take a bit of practice.

Got home and took the family for a spin (10k radius only), and they loved it too, then spent the evening sorting out some accessories and trying charging. The neighbours wanted to chat, and we spent some social distanced time out the front. I have a queue of people who want a test drive once we are out of lockdown.

The only downside is that my wifeā€™s HATES the wood strip. Anyone found any classy alternatives (matte silver, perhaps) that can be applied?

Now to find a good electricity plan for charging. Elysian looks like a good bet.

Iā€™m going to bed one happy bunny.

having never been in a moving Tesla before, I decided to boot it on the on-ramp to the highway, and gave myself the fright of my life! Iā€™ve had a couple of fast petrol cars before, but they came nowhere near the acceleration this thing. Iā€™ll really have to watch myself šŸ˜€
Congratulations! Same hereā€¦ the first time I was in a moving Tesla was when I drove my Model 3 home after delivery. At least I had a feel for EV acceleration and regen with my Leafā€¦ but Tesla is on another planet!

The only downside is that my wifeā€™s HATES the wood strip. Anyone found any classy alternatives (matte silver, perhaps) that can be applied?
I didnā€™t think Iā€™d like it either but I donā€™t really care any more. You can buy wraps or aftermarket replacements for it if you really want to change it.

Well, the day has arrived. šŸ„³
Another Model 3 will be finding a home in the lower Blue Mountains this arvo.
I'll let everyone know how the pickup/inspection goes.
This might be too late for you but two tips:
  1. Take a photo of the odometer at pick up, you know, for posterity
  2. Take a USB stick to record your drive home and save the footage when you get home.
I forgot to do the first, and did the second but then forgot to tap the screen when I got home to save the footage! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

You will love Model 3 and never look back šŸ˜„. Welcome to the club!

Nowadays, you don't need to take a USB stick. Tesla provides it and at least in my case installed and commissioned it and it was ready to go.

In fact, the default setup of the car when I received it last week was pleasant for the drive home.

However, I shall replace the USB with a larger, high wear, high speed uSD card before much longer.

You will love Model 3 and never look back šŸ˜„. Welcome to the club!
Thanks Vostok!
All went well, however I didn't get the footage or record the ODO; oh well. It did come with a USB thumb drive though.
After waiting a little while to be let in at Chatswood, they got me to pull up my app and connect. They didn't check my ID or insurance, maybe that was a given as my app registered with my account and I assume the finance wouldn't have gone through without insurance anyway. Had time to have a quick look around down in the carpark then drove it out for a better look outside before heading home. No issues found and cameras calibrated just before getting back on to the M2 so was able to use autopilot most of the way home on the M2/M7/M4. The software was updated to 2021.24.5 after I got home. All up pretty happy!
As a side note, I reserved this car back in 2016 as soon as it was available during the unveiling and have only now been able to go through with the purchase; that must be some kind of record.

Reactions: Vostok and meloccom
The software was updated to 2021.24.5 after I got home.
Iā€™m still waiting for mine to update, Iā€™m not sure how long it can take?

Iā€™ve been looking at various apps as I am interested in the data. Although I have set up TeslaMate in docker, Teslafi has grown on me, and there is no setup to do.

I would like to use my Apple Watch as a key, etc., so Iā€™ve been looking at those too.

Did you get a chance to floor it on the way home? It was a shock, despite all the videos Iā€™ve watched, nothing prepares you for the acceleration! I have now set up the bongs for 5km over the speed limit.

We are planning a trip to Canberra once we are allowed, so I can use the Autopilot and a supercharger.

Reactions: Vostok