Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To trade or not to trade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I ordered a M3 LR in June 2022, to replace my 2019 M3 SR+. Will arrive, so tesla says, between February and May 2023.

I am thinking that there must be a number of you who had early year, 2019 -2020, M3s who have either gone to a MY or a new M3.

Tesla has yet to give me a trade in value on the SR+.

Did any one out there go the Tesla trade in route? Did any one sell privately? I am not to keen on selling privately. Don't want the tire kickers and all the other stuff that buyers bring.

Just thought I would ask.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Hi

I ordered a M3 LR in June 2022, to replace my 2019 M3 SR+. Will arrive, so tesla says, between February and May 2023.

I am thinking that there must be a number of you who had early year, 2019 -2020, M3s who have either gone to a MY or a new M3.

Tesla has yet to give me a trade in value on the SR+.

Did any one out there go the Tesla trade in route? Did any one sell privately? I am not to keen on selling privately. Don't want the tire kickers and all the other stuff that buyers bring.

Just thought I would ask.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Does the online trade-in quote not give you an estimate offer range? The US version does, so you can at least expect something within the offer range until they give you the official offer amount.

Australia link = Trade-in | Tesla Australia
US link = Trade-in | Tesla

I traded in my 9 years old Subaru because of that reason, mainly "time". In between work meetings, kid + school pickup, families - I prefer my weekends not filled with people bailing out on me or lowballing. Also being a 1 car household, it gets trickier.

I drove my Subaru to Tesla, gave the keys, one of their trade in dept checked the car, drove it around for 5 minutes and said, "Yep all good, let me show you to your new Model Y"

Another alternative including carsales instant offer (there's no harm in doing this, they'll email you the offer within days, no pushy calls etc).
Or heard also some people using sellmycar.com.au, no personal experience but they came out to your house to inspect the car.

One week on from my initial post, so here's the news.

Tesla has offered $42000 trade in for my 2019 50k M3 SR+. This is for a new LR. Originally, back when I placed the order, was thinking $40000 would be OK. None of the "instant offers" have been this high.

Put the M3 on Carsales for $47500. Let's see. Had a few calls, all want to pay less than $47500. I have offers less than trade in value.

It's such a pain selling a car

Lots of 2019 M3 SR+ on Carsales, many/most for ridiculous prices. Some have been there since October 2022.

It's $47500 or trade in to Tesla.

Carsales Instant Offer essentially tries to flog off your car to dealerships registered with them. The highest Carsales offer for my 2018 CX-9 Azami AWD (top spec) was $37.3k from a local used car dealership. Also had it advertised privately and the highest serious offer I got was $38k (bugger that). Tesla offered me $34k (wth Tesla!). IMHO it is worth low $40k's privately but will need to wait and wait and wait.

I tried calling a couple of local dealerships and ended up finding one that offered $37.5k. After more time wasters and lowballers, I eventually just sold it to the dealership. I didn't go with the $38k private offer as there was a lot involved like inspections, sorting out their finance situation (complex business scenario with financing)! The sale+dropoff to the dealership literally took 15 mins! Even told me not to clean it as they were going to detail it in house.

So give Carsales Instant Offer a go and wait and see if any Carsales-registered dealers give you a better deal than Tesla... then use your highest offer when cold-calling more dealerships. It doesn't take much... 2 min phone calls to maybe 3-5 dealerships.

Reactions: StepsInTime