Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today it stopped detecting hand on wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove for about an hour this morning with FSD beta some of the time and it was working well. A couple of hours later I drove back and when I tried to enable FSD I immediately got a double chime, a message ("Pay Attention") and the display had the blue flashing warning -- exactly as happens if it thinks your hand is not on the wheel. I tried it again several times, and moved the wheel enough that autosteer was disabled.

After the 2-button reset the problem still remains. It acts as if it can't detect the slight torque required on the wheel. Is this is known problem? Presumably if I don't deactivate immediately it'll count as a strike. Mobile service is coming in 2 weeks, so I guess there's no autosteer until then!

Pay attention is typically not hands on wheel. It’s pay attention look forward
^this. It will tell you to slightly move your steering wheel if it's the "wheel nag". If it says "Pay Attention", it's the cabin camera that's the problem. Make sure there is nothing covering that camera, and if it has a clear view of you, then it's likely a hardware fault. A few people here have had their cameras replaced and the problem is solved.

^this. It will tell you to slightly move your steering wheel if it's the "wheel nag". If it says "Pay Attention", it's the cabin camera that's the problem. Make sure there is nothing covering that camera, and if it has a clear view of you, then it's likely a hardware fault. A few people here have had their cameras replaced and the problem is solved.
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the distinction between the messages. There has been a "Cabin Camera unavailable" message popping up occasionally for months but it goes away quickly and until now hadn't seemed important. So with luck Mobile Service can fix that and both problems will go away.

Reactions: Dewg
1657904475887.png

I ordered the counterweight from Aliexpress. I expect delivery today. I am not going to use the camera blocking. That came "free" with the order. In any case, I have learnt to rest one hand on the wheel such that it does not disengage Autosteer nor does it give flashing warning to put pressure on steering wheel.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
View attachment 828816
I ordered the counterweight from Aliexpress. I expect delivery today. I am not going to use the camera blocking. That came "free" with the order. In any case, I have learnt to rest one hand on the wheel such that it does not disengage Autosteer nor does it give flashing warning to put pressure on steering wheel.
This one works perfectly and the larger part is located around the backside of the wheel so its unobtrusive. Driver is 100% accountable/responsible for the vehicle with, or without one of these. So no additional risk as long as you continue to watch the road ahead full time/pay full attention.

This one works perfectly and the larger part is located around the backside of the wheel so its unobtrusive. Driver is 100% accountable/responsible for the vehicle with, or without one of these. So no additional risk as long as you continue to watch the road ahead full time/pay full attention.
Agree. I take full responsibility, and pride in my driving. My worry is that I often get the blue flashing to put pressure on the steering wheel.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Perhaps no more physical risk but there’s financial risk. If you are ever are involved in a serious collision and the lawyers find out about the defeat device, you’ll rue the purchase and use. Your insurance carrier might have an opinion as well, they’ll jump on any excuse to avoid a significant payout so may leave you bare. There may be laws in some jurisdictions.

If I wanted to use such a device I’d put a cupholder on the steering wheel and weight it with a soft drink. Then if found they’ll just think I’m stupid. Highway stupidity is ubiquitous so should be overlooked.

Reactions: PVia
Have you tried the scroll wheel ?
The scroll wheel works only temporarily. It takes away the black message and after 10 minutes, you see the red warning. After two of those red warnings, it disables FSD altogether until the "next software update." Total nonsense. Not sure if this is Elon Musk's personal idea or some product manager's decision while inebriated.