Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is unavailable now due to error in defeat device detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this mean v2022.30.5 is a version of FSDb? I ask because that version has been downloaded to my Model 3. I bought EAP/FSD when I got the car but have not enrolled in Beta. If I install, do I get Beta anyway?
If you enable it. I think the strikes system (preventing use of FSD if get more than 3/5) is active regardless of whether enabled though (not sure about that).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
cover the camera lense which is above rear view mirror ;)
For a time I had a similar idea, and put my sunvisor in the way of the camera.

This worked fine for a while, but when I tried this on a long trip AP nags started freaking out. Eventually, I stopped trying to trick the camera, and when I put the sunvisor in its stowed position with clear view to my eyes then the nags became literally instant. No amount of watching the road changed things and I had to drive like a caveman for a few hours.

Eventually after a charge, things reverted to normal and I never tried fooling the camera afterward.

Reactions: melsee
For a time I had a similar idea, and put my sunvisor in the way of the camera.

This worked fine for a while, but when I tried this on a long trip AP nags started freaking out. Eventually, I stopped trying to trick the camera, and when I put the sunvisor in its stowed position with clear view to my eyes then the nags became literally instant. No amount of watching the road changed things and I had to drive like a caveman for a few hours.

Eventually after a charge, things reverted to normal and I never tried fooling the camera afterward.
I have small webcam covers like these:
https://amzn.eu/d/chsxMeR
They are tiny, slim and very discrete

Using it since 22.36 update and have no AP nags

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Different country. Different software. Different results.

This will end in tears in the US with FSD software.
Thing is it can be slided as "enabled" or "disabled". As well as adhesive is very light, can be removed without any residuals

So in the end, all cost you will have is going to be like 5 american euros ;D and if this will not work - no harm made. But if it works, well duuuh.. ;)

44.30.5. If I remember correctly it is something like:

1. Black labeled warning to put hands on wheel
  2. Slow blue flashing screen
  3. Fast blue flashing screen
  4. Audible chime with blue flashing screen
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure it has always chimed once it passes the first 3.

Edit: yes it does chime. Here is from the manual.

View attachment 892035
The progression for defeat devices is not as shown above.

I do not use them. I have an extremely steady hand and drive multiple lifetimes of ownership for a Tesla for most folks annually on AP, and also on FSDb on both cars.

One notice of red, and the next is a strike. Have spoke to Tesla about this, and response was working on it.

My method of holding wheel has changed as I had three strikes on the S, and was booted. All I can figure is I had a repetition of movement that is very calculated and timed mentally that mimics a defeat device. The way my hands rest, and the movement would suggest such. Unfortunately I don't do the video stuff for cars.

You can try it with small piece of duct tape (or small adhesive piece of post-it note) as well before spending money ..
This thread is about using FSD Beta and that requires the camera. So why do you keep saying to cover it when that is NOT an option?

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 6.26.52 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
But you don’t Need to. As he pointed out unless your using an Old version of software it won’t Work in the US.
Agreed, I wasnt trying anything nefarious but the car was giving me warnings for wearing sunglasses as if I wasn't looking at the road. Putting tape over the camera didnt even work back then, but the sunvisor trick did work...until it also failed drastically.

I decided rather than defeating the safety devices (even ones that were bugged) I'd just drive like a caveman.

While driving on a highway using FSD beta with my full attention, sometimes lightly holding the steering wheel and sometimes not, I received enough "hands on defeat device detected", warnings in error, then the "grab the steering wheel" alert, to get enough strikes to kick me out of FSD.
I did not nor will ever have a "defeat device".
These warnings came out of nowhere.
If anything, it's mistaking my hand resting lightly on the steering wheel as a cheat device.
How can I challenge this FSD removal?
My account at TESLA has no support options, just FAQ's.
Help, please.
Thanks,
D
I have had the same problem dozens of times on a long trip. It started with 2022.44.25.5 and is continuing with 2022.44.30.5 The message repeats 3 times eventually and then turns off FSD until I can put the car in park. Any ideas on how to fix it?

From a diagnostic standpoint, I'm really interested in why this is happening to some people. I rarely get torque requests when I drive, and I don't do anything special - just hold the wheel mostly with my left hand at 7:30ish. I've never gotten a strike, nor a false defeat device detected warning. What is different between my car and other cars that are constantly having problems? Is it a torque sensor that's malfunctioning? Is it a faulty steering wheel? A wiring harness problem?

Would be interesting if there was some way to watch live data coming from the wheel, showing its position. Sitting still, the readout should show a constant stream of 0, but then as you touch the wheel, the readout would show the stream change to -1, -2, or +1, +2, etc. Like running a constant ping to a server, looking for timeouts at some point.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just weighing in on the original post that this same thing has happened to me since the Christmas update. It seems like you get about 3 false "defeat device detected" warnings before it cuts you off and gives you a strike. They don't seem to follow a pattern depending on various positions of holding the wheel or at different amounts of torque, or not holding the wheel at all. Frankly, between this and the miserable failure that FSD is anyways, I am officially giving up and from now on driving manually at all times. I've never seen a company F something up so bad as this. I just wish we could get the car that we had back to early 2020. That is, when Autopilot was a usable feature on the highway and we didn't have it accuse us of doing something that we weren't doing.

I rarely get torque requests when I drive, and I don't do anything special - just hold the wheel mostly with my left hand at 7:30ish.
Yes, I don’t get it either. I am now on the latest release and have seen none of these defeat device warnings. Seems like a bug related to hardware somehow.

I just hold my wheel in a super relaxed way and I never have any issues. I do get annoying nags from time to time. Usually they clear easily without me actually doing anything differently, but sometimes a wiggle is needed which is very dumb, since the cabin camera and the other telemetry can tell I am holding the wheel (without being able to see my hands or the wheel).

But the problem some are experiencing here is not a problem for me. Weird.

Is anyone experiencing problems when consistently holding the wheel in this relaxed, neutral, and comfortable posture?

0A260FF2-6CF9-4B4B-A619-90F4DDB26AB5.jpeg

Reactions: Dewg
Just weighing in on the original post that this same thing has happened to me since the Christmas update. It seems like you get about 3 false "defeat device detected" warnings before it cuts you off and gives you a strike......
Which has me wondering since I got 2 warnings on a drive last week. Does that mean 1 more warning and I get a strike or does it reset after the drive so now I would need 3 mornings on a drive for a strike?

Which has me wondering since I got 2 warnings on a drive last week. Does that mean 1 more warning and I get a strike or does it reset after the drive so now I would need 3 mornings on a drive for a strike?
Not sure what would happen. I believe it says in the current release notes that if you get 3 strikes that there is a much shorter period for getting FSD back. Like 2 weeks maybe?? As a side note, The one curious item that I didn't include in my post is that I have FSD completely turned off and have for quite some time now. (I found that I have fewer other glitches with it turned off and I really don't like it anyway. I just want Autopilot for the highway mostly). And it's still giving me the false "cheat device detected".