Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery but thinking of returning. Am I being paranoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t yet. Will certainly give it a try.
I had the same window problem a few times (after scooching down when front passenger side door was opened, it wouldn't automatically roll back up the half-inch when door was closed) - went away on its own after the hard re-boot trick. Hasn't happened since.

The momentary black-screen thing is also somewhat common - even though that's not OK. After one occurrence in my car, it hasn't happened again after the last update.

These cars are basically huge, rolling computers. Some computer-like twitches are to be expected. Which doesn't make them OK - rather, the "fixes" are mostly going to be computer-based reboots or reprogramming, rather than changing out a broken part. Go forward with your decision based on your comfort level of having to occasionally treat the car like a computer, rather than a car.

Rails85, I can certainly empathize with you but, I have had issues with other ICE cars I bought new. It wouldn't be fair to say "only" Tesla has these issues. (not that you did) Frustrating and yet you do have the ability to have service manage all problems, as has been stated numerous times in this thread. My experience has been exceptional and only wish all Tesla owners enjoyed the same. Sadly, that is not the case. Many had fit and finish issues at delivery, window issues, screen issues, audio, noises, yadda, yadda. Looking at their follow-on posts, a vast majority had their issues resolved and have grown to love their car. A big decision for you, for sure. I hope you find the solution that brings you joy!

Rails85, I can certainly empathize with you but, I have had issues with other ICE cars I bought new. It wouldn't be fair to say "only" Tesla has these issues. (not that you did) Frustrating and yet you do have the ability to have service manage all problems, as has been stated numerous times in this thread. My experience has been exceptional and only wish all Tesla owners enjoyed the same. Sadly, that is not the case. Many had fit and finish issues at delivery, window issues, screen issues, audio, noises, yadda, yadda. Looking at their follow-on posts, a vast majority had their issues resolved and have grown to love their car. A big decision for you, for sure. I hope you find the solution that brings you joy!

Thanks! Definitely not implying Tesla is the only company to have these issues. And from everything I’ve heard, they’ve done a great job of resolving them. There is definite a magnifying glass on the model 3 because it’s such an important car for the company and industry. As I said, my debate is really, if I bit the bullet and waited another year, how much of the initial quality/ fit and finish issues would they resolve? And how much better would overall engineering get? Seems like most say not that much and to just enjoy the car!

Reactions: hcdavis3
Short story, I didn’t know anything about Tesla until this year but I took a test drive in the 3 and obviously loved it. But after researching all the quality problems I was weary of taking the plunge. Fast forward 2 weeks, sales guy calls and says, hey we got a long range in the grey with the 19in wheels for $4k off because it’s a demo with 120 miles. With that deal in mind I pulled the trigger, even though I was still weary.

I’ve had the car now for 3 days and I do love it and want to keep it. But a few things happened in the 3 days: my window wouldn’t go up, with the service guys saying it “happens sometimes”. That’s still happening today. My screen also shut off for a few seconds while driving. And it sounded like my speaker went out for a bit.

As I keep reading, I find that people are extra forgiving with Tesla because it’s a “new company”. But I just paid $50k and don’t want to be as flexible. And I keep thinking, if initial quality is poor, what does that mean for long term once the warranty runs out?

So I came up with a plan. The production year of my car is 12/18. I’m thinking of returning the car, getting something cheap for a year while Tesla gets even better at production, and getting it again in early to mid 2020. My thinking is another year of mass production will help a lot give how much better they got in 2018.

Thoughts on whether another year will help flush out the rest of the issues and solidify Tesla financially? Or are they about as good as they’re going to get with the 3? Am I overthinking it? This is really driving me crazy!
It’s not usually financially advantageous to keep a car for only a year. Like others have said get a firm commitment on the window. If the software glitches bother you this might not be the car for you. They roll out new firmware and sometimes things don’t go as planned...and v12 has been buggier than most. v16.2 seems better. What version firmware are you on? Your phone app has it below the total mileage.

It’s not usually financially advantageous to keep a car for only a year. Like others have said get a firm commitment on the window. If the software glitches bother you this might not be the car for you. They roll out new firmware and sometimes things don’t go as planned...and v12 has been buggier than most. v16.2 seems better. What version firmware are you on? Your phone app has it below the total mileage.
It’s really not. This would be all for getting a better Tesla in a year. That’s the sacrifice I’d be willing to make! But the software is not my biggest concern. I get that it’s no different than my iPhone and things will happens. It’s the internal car parts like doors and windows and rusting and stuff.

Attachments

• 4ADE2A4F-ADC9-4A96-8BE8-B8C171AE3A6F.jpeg
    4ADE2A4F-ADC9-4A96-8BE8-B8C171AE3A6F.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 46
If you put off your purchase for a year, you will get your new Tesla with the latest and greatest software, fixing many of the current bugs.

If you keep the car you already have, thanks to OTA updates you will also have a car with the latest and greatest software.

Tesla will update your car, from time to time, with fixes and enhancements at no charge.

As an example. When I bought my X, the Falcon Wing doors did not go up and down as quickly as I wanted. A month later an update made them twice as fast. Now I am pleased as punch.

In addition, over the past 2 1/2 years I have received the following updates:
They added automatic self dimming headlights.
Added self adjusting windshield wipers automatically.
Enhanced my 0-60 times from 6.1 to 4.9
Speeded up my Supercharging speed several times,
Enhanced the quality of my sound system,
Added creap to my transmission,
Sent me a panoramic windshield sun screen,
Added both higher and lower air suspension settings,
Added security package with PIN,
Turned on additional cameras and sensors,
Added Navigate on Autopilot,
Opened 4X as many Superchargers,
Opened 2 more local service centers,
Partnered with a local body shop for quicker fixes if needed,
Added summon and ability to schedule service to the app.

They also just released a bunch of GIF enhanced videos to allow owners to DIY common items if they wish. Saves a trip to the service center. From install your own air filters to adjusting windows.

And so much more. These cars just get better and better.
They are a bit of a goofy company sometimes, but most of the small stuff gets handled quickly.

It’s really not. This would be all for getting a better Tesla in a year. That’s the sacrifice I’d be willing to make! But the software is not my biggest concern. I get that it’s no different than my iPhone and things will happens. It’s the internal car parts like doors and windows and rusting and stuff.
That’s what warranties are for. Despite posts here there’s relatively few issues. I don’t see a lot of change in manufacturing happening in the next year except they’ll be in the push for the Ys. Keep in mind folks rarely post everything is perfect. Mine was and mine is a June 2018 build.

Two model 3s? When did you buy?

We also have two 3s and (knock on dash again) have never had to take either in for any issues. I do believe that you'll read more negative reviews of the car than positive due to the nature of humans needing to vent about the negative. Stop reading forums and enjoy your car. Life is so short-- are you certain you'll be here in a year?-- really.. we don't know. Live in the NOW. Go hug your car ❤️

I don’t understand giving as excuse that the car is a computer on wheel and as such accept the “glitches”. A window not closing is not a glitch. It could a very serious safety threat. Imagine yourself on a empty road in the middle of the winter with an open window.
Also, it is true that a computer will have issue but you don’t pay 60k a computer, and a computer will not strand you on the road. So in short, I’ll get Tesla to fix the problem pronto and move on and enjoy your car which is one of the greatest car to drive...however it doesn’t mean that other cars are piece of junk as one person mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Return the car.

You paid about $50k (ignoring the incentive) and you expect it to be perfect. It's not, so return it. Then go out and buy a $50k BMW 3 series and, if it's not perfect, return it. As the saying goes, rinse and repeat. $50k is a lot of money and you should not be disappointed. Or nervous about the long term prospects of the car. And if you feel Tesla service is telling you to live with these issues, then walk away.

Personally, I don't think you'll find a perfect new comparable Audi or BMW, but that's my opinion. And if you peruse the BMW forums, you'll hear lots of similar complaints.

But also consider this, the car you buy to replace it will never be better than it is when you buy it. No updates that provide additional features or improves the functionality of the car.

BTW, my late 2018 M3 has been flawless except for a cell phone charging issue that is apparently due to an incompatibility with a few Android phones.

I don't get whats the big deal. The window can be easily fixed and Tesla will fix it. Just fix it and keep driving.

What if you get a different car and it shows some other serious issue one month later?

I bought a Lexus that I had to take it in for two serious issues in the first year - change the manifold and something else. i was worried that i got a lemon. But 12 years and 150k miles later it still runs like new.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Seems to me that the window fault and the speaker fault could have a common cause - the wiring plug for the door not properly connected, something like that. I think the service centre deserve the chance to fix the car. It’s always disappointing when problems crop up, but it’s fairly typical; what matters is that they get fixed.

-Alex

I've had my car almost a year and haven't had any of the problems that you describe. The one problem I had, with a headlight, they were able to fix with an OTA firmware update. I've loved every minute of driving my car, and the ability to bypass gas stations and not have to smell fumes is something you can't put a price on.

The most important part of your post, IMHO, is that you were told that the window thing "happens sometimes." I don't know where in Illinois you are, but if you can go to another service center, do it. It sounds like the one you went to doesn't care about fixing something that absolutely should be fixed, and fixed under warranty. Don't for one minute accept that half-assed reply. It's disrespectful to the customer, and it gives the company a bad name.

The window issue is probably hardware but it's possible that it's a software problem too. It seems like almost everything on this car is controlled by one of the computers. I'd be interested if a hard reboot & a window calibration fixes that too.

I may have missed it but I didn't see a hard reboot recommend by anyone (only a soft reboot). To do a hard reboot, hold the brake pedal in and press both steering wheel buttons. Hold down all three until you see the Tesla logo on the screen.

• Informative
The window issue is probably hardware but it's possible that it's a software problem too. It seems like almost everything on this car is controlled by one of the computers. I'd be interested if a hard reboot & a window calibration fixes that too.

I may have missed it but I didùn't see a hard reboot recommend by anyone (only a soft reboot). To do a hard reboot, hold the brake pedal in and press both steering wheel buttons. Hold down all three until you see the Tesla logo on the screen.
I thought a hard reboot was by going to security and turning off the car then waiting 3 minutes and tapping the brake to wake up the car.

If you put off your purchase for a year, you will get your new Tesla with the latest and greatest software, fixing many of the current bugs.

If you keep the car you already have, thanks to OTA updates you will also have a car with the latest and greatest software.

Tesla will update your car, from time to time, with fixes and enhancements at no charge.

As an example. When I bought my X, the Falcon Wing doors did not go up and down as quickly as I wanted. A month later an update made them twice as fast. Now I am pleased as punch.

In addition, over the past 2 1/2 years I have received the following updates:
They added automatic self dimming headlights.
Added self adjusting windshield wipers automatically.
Enhanced my 0-60 times from 6.1 to 4.9
Speeded up my Supercharging speed several times,
Enhanced the quality of my sound system,
Added creap to my transmission,
Sent me a panoramic windshield sun screen,
Added both higher and lower air suspension settings,
Added security package with PIN,
Turned on additional cameras and sensors,
Added Navigate on Autopilot,
Opened 4X as many Superchargers,
Opened 2 more local service centers,
Partnered with a local body shop for quicker fixes if needed,
Added summon and ability to schedule service to the app.

They also just released a bunch of GIF enhanced videos to allow owners to DIY common items if they wish. Saves a trip to the service center. From install your own air filters to adjusting windows.

And so much more. These cars just get better and better.
They are a bit of a goofy company sometimes, but most of the small stuff gets handled quickly.
Not totally true. Not all updates are software related. Two that comes to mind are seats and HW3. A lot can happen in a year and Tesla can swap out parts for better parts.