Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery but thinking of returning. Am I being paranoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short story, I didn’t know anything about Tesla until this year but I took a test drive in the 3 and obviously loved it. But after researching all the quality problems I was weary of taking the plunge. Fast forward 2 weeks, sales guy calls and says, hey we got a long range in the grey with the 19in wheels for $4k off because it’s a demo with 120 miles. With that deal in mind I pulled the trigger, even though I was still weary.

I’ve had the car now for 3 days and I do love it and want to keep it. But a few things happened in the 3 days: my window wouldn’t go up, with the service guys saying it “happens sometimes”. That’s still happening today. My screen also shut off for a few seconds while driving. And it sounded like my speaker went out for a bit.

As I keep reading, I find that people are extra forgiving with Tesla because it’s a “new company”. But I just paid $50k and don’t want to be as flexible. And I keep thinking, if initial quality is poor, what does that mean for long term once the warranty runs out?

So I came up with a plan. The production year of my car is 12/18. I’m thinking of returning the car, getting something cheap for a year while Tesla gets even better at production, and getting it again in early to mid 2020. My thinking is another year of mass production will help a lot give how much better they got in 2018.

Thoughts on whether another year will help flush out the rest of the issues and solidify Tesla financially? Or are they about as good as they’re going to get with the 3? Am I overthinking it? This is really driving me crazy!

This is actually really easy. Ask yourself how much it's worth to you to be driving a Tesla for a year instead of whatever piece of junk you'll be driving instead. My conclusion for myself, in retrospect, is that the only real error one can make is in putting off driving a Tesla. But you'll have to decide for yourself.

Software glitches come and go. There's always something not perfect, but the relentless march of updates keeps making your car better.

I would get them to commit to fixing the window thing. I don't buy "it happens sometimes" for that. Are people driving around in the snow and rain with their windows down because "it happens sometimes"? I don't think so.

The computer/speakers part is different. I would do a hard reboot (when parked, hold brake and two steering wheel buttons for a while) and see if it happens again. If it does reoccur within the return period, it might be worth returning -- unless, again, they commit to fixing it, by replacing the computer or whatever. It does seem like computer problems might happen very occasionally, and I wouldn't return it on that basis. But I would if they're frequent/regular and Tesla won't commit to fixing it.

I would never accept an answer like it happens sometimes. It sounds like you got a good deal but I would definitely make them resolve that issue.

Yea not impressed with that response. And I know I can push them if it keeps happening. But this brings me back to the overarching question... is this car well built or do they still need more time? The window is a minor problem but is it s sign of things to come? The allure of this car, aside from the performances, is the cost savings. If all of that goes out the window because it will break down after the warranty runs out then what’s the point? Maybe I sound crazy, but coming from a Honda family, worrying about things like this seems crazy.

I would get them to commit to fixing the window thing. I don't buy "it happens sometimes" for that. Are people driving around in the snow and rain with their windows down because "it happens sometimes"? I don't think so.

The computer/speakers part is different. I would do a hard reboot (when parked, hold brake and two steering wheel buttons for a while) and see if it happens again. If it does reoccur within the return period, it might be worth returning -- unless, again, they commit to fixing it, by replacing the computer or whatever. It does seem like computer problems might happen very occasionally, and I wouldn't return it on that basis. But I would if they're frequent/regular and Tesla won't commit to fixing it.

I wouldn’t be returning just because of the computer or window, but on the idea that these things indicate that QA still need some work.

Reactions: MMBTUS
Have you tried to reboot your car by pressing the two buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously? Not all the glitches on the screen are caused by software bugs. There is a phenomenon called "soft error" which can cause electronic devices to not operate properly due to ionized radiation particles causing memory errors inside semiconductor devices. They are called soft errors because they can usually be cleared by rebooting (reloading the data to over-write error caused by radiation).

I worked with soft error reliability for more than 10 years and on my Model 3's, I had experience sound system losing their fidelity, screen frozen, or screen flickering. After rebooting, those problems went away. I am not sure about windows not going down. That could be a mechanical problem.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Have you tried to reboot your car by pressing the two buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously? Not all the glitches on the screen are caused by software bugs. There is a phenomenon called "soft error" which can cause electronic devices to not operate properly due to ionized radiation particles causing memory errors inside semiconductor devices. They are called soft errors because they can usually be cleared by rebooting (reloading the data to over-write error caused by radiation).

I worked with soft error reliability for more than 10 years and on my Model 3's, I had experience sound system losing their fidelity, screen frozen, or screen flickering. After rebooting, those problems went away. I am not sure about windows not going down. That could be a mechanical problem.

I haven’t yet. Will certainly give it a try.

Tesla is very early in their software and the type of things you are seeing are very normal at this stage. If your worried about this type of thing Tesla is probably not the brand for you.

You might be right. But getting a car for 10 years means I miss out on a lot of year of Tesla driving. I definitely don’t want to do that. But if 1 more year makes a difference I would be willing to make the sacrifice.

• Informative
Having owned Teslas that were built in the early production stage (Model S VIN 18.xxx, Model X VIN 62.xxx) I can tell you that Tesla always took very good care of my cars. All issues were eventually resolved (except the one thill waiting). So far no out of warranty repairs at all, even though both these cars are out of warranty for quite a bit.

My M3 has a VIN in the 215.xxx range. The quality is much better than my MS or MX. As far as I am concerned it is quite comparable to the BMWs and Audis I used to drive; even better than these.

You got an outstanding offer. In your place I would push them to make the car perfect and enjoy.

NB: what VIN range do you have?

• Informative
You might be right. But getting a car for 10 years means I miss out on a lot of year of Tesla driving. I definitely don’t want to do that. But if 1 more year makes a difference I would be willing to make the sacrifice.

The window could be slightly out of alignment other than that everything sounds like software. Do you worry about your pc, tablet, phone when it gets a little flaky and needs a reboot? Personally I reboot the device and never think of it again. If you having anxiety about those kind of issues on the screen in your Tesla you will probably always be worried. The screen and its functionality are completely independent of the car.

Having owned Teslas that were built in the early production stage (Model S VIN 18.xxx, Model X VIN 62.xxx) I can tell you that Tesla always took very good care of my cars. All issues were eventually resolved (except the one thill waiting). So far no out of warranty repairs at all, even though both these cars are out of warranty for quite a bit.

My M3 has a VIN in the 215.xxx range. The quality is much better than my MS or MX. As far as I am concerned it is quite comparable to the BMWs and Audis I used to drive; even better than these.

You got an outstanding offer. In your place I would push them to make the car perfect and enjoy.

NB: what VIN range do you have?
Looks like my vin is 186xxx. Date says 12/18

The window could be slightly out of alignment other than that everything sounds like software. Do you worry about your pc, tablet, phone when it gets a little flaky and needs a reboot? Personally I reboot the device and never think of it again. If you having anxiety about those kind of issues on the screen in your Tesla you will probably always be worried. The screen and its functionality are completely independent of the car.

I get your point and I do concede that there is a bit of paranoia. But it has a lot to do with the purchase sizes. The financial impact of a bad phone or laptop is significantly less than a car.

I own two. The more recent one (by two months) is rock sold. It has a few more cosmetic issues (minor) than the first one but those were rapidly fixed. It has no creaks or rattles and performs wonderfully. The first one has some popping sounds when I get in after it has sat in the sun. I may record the sounds and take it in. Otherwise it is awesome too. Tesla has been very responsive to the few issues I had upon delivery. I love both cars.

Some software revisions have had issues where the screen would lock or I would need to reboot. For me, that hasn't happened in awhile. A few tines the issue was with my phone. A phone reboot and hands free was working again. My old Genesis had similar issues. Think of owning a Tesla like owning an iPhone. Some updates are buggy but overall both get better with time.

I own two. The more recent one (by two months) is rock sold. It has a few more cosmetic issues (minor) than the first one but those were rapidly fixed. It has no creaks or rattles and performs wonderfully. The first one has some popping sounds when I get in after it has sat in the sun. I may record the sounds and take it in. Otherwise it is awesome too. Tesla has been very responsive to the few issues I had upon delivery. I love both cars.

Some software revisions have had issues where the screen would lock or I would need to reboot. For me, that hasn't happened in awhile. A few tines the issue was with my phone. A phone reboot and hands free was working again. My old Genesis had similar issues. Think of owning a Tesla like owning an iPhone. Some updates are buggy but overall both get better with time.
Two model 3s? When did you buy?

My screen also shut off for a few seconds while driving. And it sounded like my speaker went out for a bit.

So you never had a PC or mobile phone do this? ie freeze? cause essentially the Tesla is a big iPhone on wheels.

What does that say about you that you dropped $50+K on something without deep dive research but yet are threatening to return the car at every little very trivial hiccup? Which btw - happens on other cars I've owned too from Hyundai's - when they 1st came over in the US - to Honda's to Mercedes to Audi

We will be out of warranty by July of this year on our 3 VIN 2201. Any issues Tesla has been great about.

Already said good bye to warranty 25k ago in January on our S. Rolling miles driven on our Tesla's is in excess of 100k a year. Cost out of pocket is $321. Charge port door on S.

Average a car software update every 14 or 15 days. My ICE friends that work in automotive world just love that aspect.

I think you will be fine. Completely understand the thoughts however. Wouldn't trade my car's VIN to wait for a newer one. Would have missed the last 40k of fun in it. Waiting till mid 2020 and purchasing another car for a year of ownership doesn't seem to make sense to me. Might for you. I would think the depreciation hit of owning a car for a year would be large if bought new.

Good luck with you decision.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman