Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery on 12/12/22. Love the car! Minor issue... seeking advice to remedy. Comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all... got our first Tesla yesterday (December 12, 2022). MYLR, Fremont build. White on white. Standard wheels. Love the car! It came with Matrix headlamps and the cargo cover in the rear. Can't tell if it has the comfort suspension (got our VIN on 11/22). Anyway to tell if it has it? Drive does seem stiff and loud over road imperfections. But we're used to pick-up trucks and larger SUV's. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to know if we did get the comfort suspension.

At delivery, I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. Paint all looked good... panels looked good and aligned... wheels looked good... doors closed with ease. Was honestly blown away. But, I did notice today that there seems to be some shipping plastic stuck around the frame of the glass roof. Photos attached. Before I go ripping it out or trying to use an exacto knife to trim it as necessary, wanted to get any opinions about the best way to remove it. I can't get a grip on it in some spots so I'll have to manipulate the covering to bend it back some so I can get to trimming out the plastic. This doesn't seem like something I need to bother TESLA with, especially since the nearest service bay is an hour away. Anyone else notice this issue?
IMG_5464.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 136
If you have a Tesla store nearby, I'd schedule a service to remove it. If not, just do it yourself. Does not look like a huge deal.

The new part numbers were posted for the new suspension, I belive. Along with photos. Try searching for that thread.

The best way to do it is to open up a service ticket, provide them these pictures and get queued up. They might be able to get this done via mobile repair too. At the very least, you have a record of these issues. The best time to open tickets with Tesla is now. Go through your car and make sure all is good. Still got that brand new car buffer period to be treated nicely by the SA team, haha.

If you want to try it yourself, get one of those iphone repair/electronics repair tools online. Should come with some plastic shim tools. Should be able to just get that right off. Same thing happened with mine amongst other defects so yours actually came out pretty good. Congrats!

Reactions: Patrick66
Really…is this how picky we’ve gotten with Tesla deliveries? Every car I’ve purchased new had some delivery plastic wrap stuck somewhere or glue residue left behind. With the amount of delivery packing they use to protect cars some is bound to get missed during the PDI.
For your particular issue, pull the plastic and move on with enjoying the car.

Mine had, and still has, large pieces of that same plastic around the headliner, much much larger than those pics in the O.P. I'll get to them sooner or later with my box cutter. I didn't bring this up with service today, as it just wasn't as important as the couple fitment issues (they did not fix those completely) and the installation of rear door PPF and the front mudflaps. Should be an easy DIY project to remove. Heck, I still haven't removed the screen protector plastic it shipped with either. :rolleyes:

Mine had, and still has, large pieces of that same plastic around the headliner, much much larger than those pics in the O.P. I'll get to them sooner or later with my box cutter. I didn't bring this up with service today, as it just wasn't as important as the couple fitment issues (they did not fix those completely) and the installation of rear door PPF and the front mudflaps. Should be an easy DIY project to remove. Heck, I still haven't removed the screen protector plastic it shipped with either. :rolleyes:
Are the new Model Y's coming with rear door PPF and Mudflaps these days or it is a hit-miss situation?

Really…is this how picky we’ve gotten with Tesla deliveries? Every car I’ve purchased new had some delivery plastic wrap stuck somewhere or glue residue left behind. With the amount of delivery packing they use to protect cars some is bound to get missed during the PDI.
I've purchased a good number of cars in my life... none of them had what you're talking about, or what I found on my Tesla as pictured. I also said it wasn't worth bothering Tesla with, that I could do it myself. It's not just a matter of 'pulling the plastic' off as you have suggested. This is really attached to something inside the frame. I already tried pulling it off to no avail. If it had come right off, I wouldn't have asked about it. I merely posted this thread to get an opinion first before I roll up my sleeves, grab an exacto knife and some plastic wedges and perform the 'procedure' myself. It seems silly I'd even have to do that for a 60k vehicle, but I've already read horror stories about people taking their cars in for minor things only to have them returned with more issues than what they started with. Forgive me for asking a simple question in a Tesla community seeking opinions. I certainly got yours, loud and clear. I guess there's something too that saying "there's a rotten egg in every bunch".

Matrix lights
USS?

vin over 600xxx?

Congrats btw!!!!
Thank you! Matrix lights for sure. SA also pointed it out. Said the only thing different about them is the black strip of plastic inside the housing... nothing special (according to him). But whatever. Everyone seems to be excited about them so I'm happy they were on our car! Lol. Still not sure about the suspension... will try to confirm that if I can.

The car does NOT have USS. At least there's no sensors on the front and back bumpers.

The VIN is over! 610xxx (any significance to that?)

i picked mine the other day and it had that plastic. The SA was right there and he took care of it. I didn’t see what he did. He said the interior is wrapped in plastic during transit!

I would also like to know how to tell if I have the comfort suspension.

Hello all... got our first Tesla yesterday (December 12, 2022). MYLR, Fremont build. White on white. Standard wheels. Love the car! It came with Matrix headlamps and the cargo cover in the rear. Can't tell if it has the comfort suspension (got our VIN on 11/22). Anyway to tell if it has it? Drive does seem stiff and loud over road imperfections. But we're used to pick-up trucks and larger SUV's. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to know if we did get the comfort suspension.

At delivery, I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. Paint all looked good... panels looked good and aligned... wheels looked good... doors closed with ease. Was honestly blown away. But, I did notice today that there seems to be some shipping plastic stuck around the frame of the glass roof. Photos attached. Before I go ripping it out or trying to use an exacto knife to trim it as necessary, wanted to get any opinions about the best way to remove it. I can't get a grip on it in some spots so I'll have to manipulate the covering to bend it back some so I can get to trimming out the plastic. This doesn't seem like something I need to bother TESLA with, especially since the nearest service bay is an hour away. Anyone else notice this issue?View attachment 884529
you can just push those stray bits of plastic wrapping back under the plastic trim by using a squeegee or credit card. Trim with an XACTO knife to suit.
that's what the Service Center would do.

Just because the response to a question you asked wasn’t what you wanted to hear doesn’t mean “there’s a rotten egg in every bunch”.
It’s a $60k mass produced economy vehicle. It’s not a Ferrari, so if you were expecting some high level PDI process you must have been living under a rock since the M3 and MY were released.
You're right... almighty one. Shame on me. 100%.

Bless your heart.

Exactly - Little plastic that easy easy to removed by the owner. I had a lot of that on a new 21 Acura RDX - took 5 minutes to remove myself.

The YouTube and forum on very minor delivery issues are ridiculous - IMO. They have created this "delivery day fear" that brings them "views/$$$" and unfounded 99% of the time. Tesla has come a long way in quality - go enjoy it. Stop expecting a flawless mass production vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kairide
I've purchased a good number of cars in my life... none of them had what you're talking about, or what I found on my Tesla as pictured. I also said it wasn't worth bothering Tesla with, that I could do it myself. It's not just a matter of 'pulling the plastic' off as you have suggested. This is really attached to something inside the frame. I already tried pulling it off to no avail. If it had come right off, I wouldn't have asked about it. I merely posted this thread to get an opinion first before I roll up my sleeves, grab an exacto knife and some plastic wedges and perform the 'procedure' myself. It seems silly I'd even have to do that for a 60k vehicle, but I've already read horror stories about people taking their cars in for minor things only to have them returned with more issues than what they started with. Forgive me for asking a simple question in a Tesla community seeking opinions. I certainly got yours, loud and clear. I guess there's something too that saying "there's a rotten egg in every bunch"

Trim it with a razor blade?