Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Delivery yesterday in Minnesota (47xxx)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

Well... I took delivery yesterday but had a few issues. Luckily all the issues seem to be resolvable. The panels look great and the paint looks fantastic, which is why I was ok taking delivery and having them fix the problems later.

I figure I'll let you guys know what I found so you can look for them when taking delivery.

First thing I noticed was a giant gouge on the wood trim, they actually replaced this on the spot. Took them 10 minutes.

IMG_20200918_165755.jpg

Next was the headlights, one sticks out and sticks in. They said they can extend the other one out to match. I wish they could put it in so it'd be flush, but I guess one headlight is not adjustable (what the SA said).

IMG_20200918_184053.jpg
IMG_20200918_184055.jpg

The front door handles are recessed and not flush.

IMG_20200918_184044.jpg

The spoiler was peeling away in a corner.

IMG_20200918_184105.jpg

There was a very very small dent under the drivers side mirror.

IMG_20200918_184010.jpg

It looks like the wheel got some road rash on it and they tried to repair it, but used a black permanent marker.

IMG_20200918_184134.jpg

So yeah... it's a lot but the panels and paint look great so I just went for it. I might swing by Monday and speak with them about everything and get it in writing that it can be fixed.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Congrats on you new car.
Just had an overnight test drive from the Eden Prairie locations don’t ordered MY yesterday.

Good to hear your panel gaps and paint were spot on but I feel I may have rejected your car from the pics.
It’s a shame for a almost $70k purchase, they can’t have the cars in mint condition.

• I noticed two of the PMYs with tape residue for holding on the rear spoiler. Wonder if your didn’t have the tape or will this be ongoing.
  • They have to bug out the headlights to make them match is silly.
  • Will they adjust the door handles or are they “within spec”?
  • Curb rash wheels? Your supposed to get the honor of doing that :)
  • I would worry the dent would turn into body shop work. I want to get PPF installed soon and any bodywork time would delay that.
I guess this is growing pains of a startup trying to push cars out the door at a rate/ramp they are not used to.

is this what we have to put up with to support an American made startup? I’m not asking for a Lexus like experience but come on Tesla. I’m hoping for Tesla’s sake that improving QC is easier for them to figure out than the tech is for others to get up to Tesla.

One last pet peeve. They de chrome the Model Y but throw on some fugly silver wheels/caps? COME ON :eek:

Thanks guys...

And yeah..

It was a tough decision. I think what swayed me was the fact that it was the best looking Y in the lot. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it all fixed. According to the SA's it should be all resolved.

Then it's off for full xpel stealth ppf. The dents are hardly noticeable, you really have to look for them, but regardless, they shouldn't be there. After the ppf I doubt you'll see them. But I'm still going to have them fix it.

And the headlight, yeah, I'm going to do my best to have them adjust the correct one to make it flush. If that headlight sticks out in front it's just going to get wrecked by rocks and bugs and eventually crack. It won't be good.

On a side note... It's quick and drives nice! Haha.

Congrats! Do they document each specific issue when you pick up or just make an appointment at the SC for you?
Thanks! I took a million pictures... My thought was that even a pic far away and zoomed in is proof it existed when I picked it up. Although every issue I found I showed to the SA and asked about the process to fix it. I didn't want one where they were like... that's within spec. To me they acknowledged it needed to be fixed and I know it's not in writing, but at least they made me feel like it's a thing that isn't too hard to resolve.

Then they just say, make a service appointment on your phone and upload pics within 24 hours. I did it all in one big service appointment so they know it's a bunch of things that need to be resolved and described the issues in the comments. I did edit the comments in there after the 24 hour period. But mostly for stuff I noticed while driving it. Yesterday I noticed the steering wheel is slightly crooked while driving straight... which is really really annoying once you notice it. Here's hoping that actually gets fixed... :/

Hey everyone!

Well... I took delivery yesterday but had a few issues. Luckily all the issues seem to be resolvable. The panels look great and the paint looks fantastic, which is why I was ok taking delivery and having them fix the problems later.

I figure I'll let you guys know what I found so you can look for them when taking delivery.

First thing I noticed was a giant gouge on the wood trim, they actually replaced this on the spot. Took them 10 minutes.

View attachment 589887

Next was the headlights, one sticks out and sticks in. They said they can extend the other one out to match. I wish they could put it in so it'd be flush, but I guess one headlight is not adjustable (what the SA said).

View attachment 589890 View attachment 589891

The front door handles are recessed and not flush.

View attachment 589889

The spoiler was peeling away in a corner.

View attachment 589892

There was a very very small dent under the drivers side mirror.

View attachment 589888

It looks like the wheel got some road rash on it and they tried to repair it, but used a black permanent marker.

View attachment 589893

So yeah... it's a lot but the panels and paint look great so I just went for it. I might swing by Monday and speak with them about everything and get it in writing that it can be fixed.

Congratulations!! As long as you are happy. I probably would have rejected as well.

Late to the party, but did they take care of all the issues?

They did! Then I ran into an alignment problem. So that finally got fixed and now I'm getting a clunk from the front. I'm going to try to document it so I have evidence for it to get fixed. They first blamed my reason for an alignment on snow tires until I convinced them to test drive it. So they fixed it and now I get a weird clunk from the front left under braking, but only randomly. I'd say it's happened 5 times since I got the car back a few weeks ago.