Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox use on Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had assumed that you'd be able to see human readable names and values for all CAN data, then build a DBC file from that compared to a CAN bus dump to get all available data from the bus'. I know a M3/Y DBC file works for the most part on a Model S, but not everything is available.

That's funny you posted that, because I ordered the exact stuff yesterday. I'll receive it today and let everyone know if it works or not for connecting to Toolbox.
Hey I am new to the forum and just saw your post on the model s plain converter box, I am trying to contact that company to order one but I get no reply is there another way or how do I go about purchasing one, thanks for your help.

It would probably be easier/cheaper to get a Service Center to install the new Ethernet Dash harness in the refresh S/X. I don’t think anything else would be required as the connector goes straight to the MCU-Z. Programming the harness change…that’s a whole other thing…

Has any one tried cheaper media boxes or come up with any other alternatives? If I did buy all this equipment would I still at least be able to read DTC's and redeploy full module firmware? I ask because I see talk about lack of CAN data. Thanks!

I am not 100% sure but, you are going to need toolbox3 subscription to read fault codes. I have dealt with 2016 (late production) MS. I could not put into service mode, after plugging it with my laptop with toolbox3 subscription I was able to put into service mode. Even then for some reason I couldnt unlock the gateway on that MS. There are plenty of videos in youtube how to put tesla into service mode.

But to read codes you have to unlock the gateway.

Technica Engineering 100/1000 Base-T1 Media Converter Tesla I yet to put it to test I have not dealt with this kind of Tesla connection yet. Also good luck finding that converter, the company will not answer if you have Yahoo or Gmail account, unless you are continue to bug them. When they responded after me bugging them, they told me that media box is back ordered and they dont have the ETA.

There has to be an alternative but not sure which box would work. I would be interested know if you find something.