Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Otherwise you have to come up with your own comparable sale prices (not list prices)

I wonder how many Tesla's are sold via dealers vs. Tesla directly. Maybe you can reach out to your Tesla store to see if they can provide you some recent sale prices. (With the no haggle selling of Tesla, what is listed might more than likely be what it sells for.)

I wonder how many Tesla's are sold via dealers vs. Tesla directly. Maybe you can reach out to your Tesla store to see if they can provide you some recent sale prices. (With the no haggle selling of Tesla, what is listed might more than likely be what it sells for.)

I could probably get that data from historical EV-CPO, but since it is the manufacturer selling, it will only count as the top data point. Would also need a few private sales/dealer sales as comparison I would imagine. Ebay is one source, but problematic, because the final sales price shown isn't actually the final sale, since it is completed in person and you can back out.

I was tempted to ask Tesla for a trade-in quote on my S while buying the 3, but decided to not go that route and complicate the transaction (by saying I had a trade in, then saying, just kidding!)

I can't disclose my source (although it's not Tesla), but take this however you wish. This is pricing for AZ and 64k miles.

upload_2018-1-10_20-48-17.png

I can't disclose my source (although it's not Tesla), but take this however you wish. This is pricing for AZ and 64k miles.

View attachment 272394

That is very helpful, thank you. I will argue on my options and condition. I think the amount they quoted me includes sales tax per CA law, so the actual estimate they are giving for the car is lower than the $43k

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Got the Valuation Report in the mail today from my insurance company. Definitely read over those closely if you are in this situation.

They listed my car as an S85 with zero options. They found 3 comparable S85 sales for around $47K and subtracted out all the options those cars had to get to my car valuation of $38K. (the $43K included sales tax and registration fees). They also said my car was "average" condition, so I made an argument it was at least better than that due to my full protective wrap, CPO only 12 months ago, etc.

So I wrote a nice e-mail outlining all the corrections and requested a re-evaluation. We will see how that goes.

Got the Valuation Report in the mail today from my insurance company. Definitely read over those closely if you are in this situation.

They listed my car as an S85 with zero options. They found 3 comparable S85 sales for around $47K and subtracted out all the options those cars had to get to my car valuation of $38K. (the $43K included sales tax and registration fees). They also said my car was "average" condition, so I made an argument it was at least better than that due to my full protective wrap, CPO only 12 months ago, etc.

So I wrote a nice e-mail outlining all the corrections and requested a re-evaluation. We will see how that goes.
Good luck. Hopefully by providing those additional details concerning the upgrades and options you had will help bump the amount up more. That's interesting (and good) that they included the sales tax and registration fees already.

Finally an update from my insurance company today. After submitting my rebuttal to the valuation report with the wrong model and options and including info on my recently purchased wheels, etc, my adjuster called today and said I was approved for an additional $9426 from the original number. That brings my total settlement including taxes and registration to $52543. I am much happier with that number and feel its pretty fair.

They are still waiting on the title from my bank to be able to auction off the car, apparently. Normally that takes 4-5 weeks for the title, then another month for Copart to auction the car off. So I will be keeping an eye out for it on Copart's website.

I also still have not heard back on the determination that the other party was uninsured, so I have not gotten my deductible back (I have coverage for zero deductible with uninsured motorist).

The accident happened 12/21/2017, and it has taken until 2/8/2018 to get through just the total settlement part of the claim (normally the quickest portion), so not exactly a glowing review for Ameriprise.

Sorry for your loss. I didn't realize until today that you had your new Arachnids on there. Hopefully you enjoyed them while you could! Did you mention the ($7500) value to the insurance company when you were discussing your car's valuation?

I bought them for $4500, so I provided that documentation to the insurance and they did compensate me for those.