TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touchscreen delays and responsiveness 2018.6.1

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Kevin Bohacz, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kevin Bohacz

Kevin Bohacz Supporting Member

I just upgraded to 2018.6.1 and have noticed a significant initial delay on the touch screen when accessing commands or settings. The delay is so long that it causes me to think that my touch did not register or that the touch screen is broken.

The delay can be as long as a few seconds between touch and response. This may not seem like much but when you’re driving and trying to adjust something it means you have to take your eyes off the road more than once and deal with delayed responsiveness of the touch screen.

The delays are at their worst the first time you access either the command or setting screens and then diminish to acceptable levels after that. So if you are looking for the delays check for them when the car is first entered or after a reboot/power on.

Has anyone else experienced these initial delays??

I have a two month old MS 100D with AP 2.5 i.e. the fastest computer. These delays are very worrisome. I hope we’re not going in the same direction as Apple with their older iPhones quickly becoming unusable as new versions of IOS with new features are rolled out.

I do have data sharing with Tesla enabled and wonder if this is contributing to the delays?

2. Matutino

Matutino Member

I experience the same issue with my MX while my wife’s MS doesn’t. I had a ranger come over and he was not able to reproduce the lag... taking it to the SC next week for further diagnosis.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Did you all reboot after the software installation? I did find it fixed issues I had! I do hope the ranger rebooted!

4. Matutino

Matutino Member

Yes, I did and he did as well, still same issue randomly.

5. boaterva

Interesting..... I've not noticed it, have to keep an eye on it. Hope we haven't reached some threshold for the hardware!

6. Kevin Bohacz

I did try rebooting. This lag can happen randomly but for me it does happen 100% of the time after the car reboots or has been sitting parked for some period of time.

I have the car scheduled to go into the SC for a window gasket-vibration and a separate issue of a wind whistle that happens at +65mph. I'm going to have them take a look at the lag also. Maybe they can come up with something. It's good to know that not everyone is experiencing the touchscreen lag (I hope)?

7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I've seen this issue occasionally too, especially when I first installed 2018.6.1. After letting the car sit overnight and coming back, the touch screen was either extremely slow or just unresponsive and needing a reboot.

It seems like, interestingly enough, now 2 weeks after I got the update, I'm no longer experiencing this problem at all. I suspect there's something going on in the background after the update that was bogging it down.

8. boaterva

Without some sort of 'task manager' to see what's up, we can't tell what's going on (like is it downloading maps, or sending data up....). Be nice to have a cpu meter...

9. Kevin Bohacz

I'd sure second the idea of having a CPU meter and task list of some kind. I'd also love to see a little more about what's going on behind the h/w - s/w curtain but I suspect that's too much to ask for! ;-)