Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Keeps Rebooting - Can't get support!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a cycling reboot whenever I attempt to use the onboard navigator to travel to a destination in Ponder, TX.

Seriously.

The past three times I've set an address in Ponder, the central display goes into a reboot cycle. Made the same trip, to the same exact house, without using the GPS, no problem whatsoever.

I forgot to mention the most recent GPS issue. GPS needs a reboot and cant be done at the consumer level, you need the service center to reboot it.

If I was in this situation I would start to pursue local lemon laws to get a refund or replacement.
Florida Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org

Does a rebooting screen cause the following?
  • The vehicle defect or condition must "substantially impair the use, value, or safety" of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle must have undergone at least 3 attempts to repair the same issue.
  • The vehicle must have out of service for repair of the defect for 15 days or more.
People are quick to jump on the Lemon Law train, but I seriously doubt you'd get Lemon'd for an issue like this. You could try though! :p

Does a rebooting screen cause the following?
  • The vehicle defect or condition must "substantially impair the use, value, or safety" of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle must have undergone at least 3 attempts to repair the same issue.
  • The vehicle must have out of service for repair of the defect for 15 days or more.
People are quick to jump on the Lemon Law train, but I seriously doubt you'd get Lemon'd for an issue like this. You could try though! :p

Yeah one part of the Florida law is "out of service for 15 days over 24 months". Not sure if having the main screen not working is really out of service as you can still drive. Just no radio or AC and cannot control most of the car's function. If nothing else it should push Tesla to actually service this problem or be at risk of a substantial financial loss.

Sure i'll go ahead and eat $20k in depreciation with only 1,000 miles. It's not as easy as "sell it and move on". Everybody is going to have their own opinion about Tesla. Some love it and will defend the brand no matter how many times their car is in service and others will pick it apart. I just expect it to compare in quality with cars in it's price range and it doesn't. I will be selling it as soon as I put some more miles on it to justify my lose.
Holding on to it is not going to make it worth any more.

My touchscreen keeps rebooting while driving and it's been going on for 6 weeks. I've called Tesla (main # initially) 5 times each time I was told they'd get back to me with "research" yet didn't and apologized. Thus my 4 follow up calls. Finally I was told screen would be replaced (hardware problem not software) and it got bumped to local service center. That was 3 weeks ago. I wrote to Tesla to air my grievance on the lack of followup and my having to call so many times - I got better support from Nissan and Lexus. I know the car will eventually get fixed but the support from Tesla was just awful. I wrote to whoever they told me to, to "complain" and I got a generic response telling me to contact the service center - they never read the note. Oh, and I have a 75D. Apparently, those of you who have a more expensive Tesla have an icon, on your app, that allows you to contact a different division of Tesla with comments that get bumped up the chain much faster! That was pointed out to me by a manager at Tesla who was very apologetic when he saw that I didn't have that option..... Suggestions on who I might contact? Sorry for the very very loooong note!

Hi - I'm in southern California so YMMV. (Side note - I am a Rider College alumni)

Who to call? I have had great servce response from a variety of local Tesla service centers - even when long distance traveling through Nevada and Texas. I dial up their local numbe and hit option 2 (service scheduling). Only once can I recall asking for the service center manager - and that's where I would go if I were in your shoes.

Sorry to read about your bad run. It happens - I've read it on these boards. The majority of customers that I have met and/or corresponded with since our 2015 purchase are extremely happy with Telsa service and suppport. It is, by far, the best car service and support I have ever received and I'm getting pretty old now :) Hope things work out for the best for your too.

I appreciate all the helpful replies. Yes, I did unplug the USB drive and yes, normally the service center (Mt. Kisco NY) is helpful however this time, as it was initially thought to be software, it got punted to TESLA, they weren't. My frustration was as much the fact that I had to call so many times not getting follow up callbacks as it was getting it fixed (well, not quite) and that I had hoped for great customer "service". And, that there was no one "higher up" to communicate with who took responsibility. But, they have me, nothing I can do other than complain here so I appreciate everyone listening. It's really frustrating when my 2yo granddaughter is listening to Micky Mouse and the screen reboots, she doesn't hear it and starts sobbing because it stops in the middle!! Elon Musk, I hope you're listening!! Have a Happy Holiday everyone...

So you're not interested in my offer to have a look at it for you? No problem. Just figured I could help another owner in what might be something easily overlooked. :)

At a minimum I could help cut through the communication gap with Tesla.

I'm curious: Why are you using the Mt. Kisco service center when there are 4 other service centers closer to Trenton, NJ, unless your profile which states Trenton is not current? In that case, I;m not near you at all. :)

My touchscreen keeps rebooting while driving and it's been going on for 6 weeks. I've called Tesla (main # initially) 5 times each time I was told they'd get back to me with "research" yet didn't and apologized. Thus my 4 follow up calls. Finally I was told screen would be replaced (hardware problem not software) and it got bumped to local service center. That was 3 weeks ago. I wrote to Tesla to air my grievance on the lack of followup and my having to call so many times - I got better support from Nissan and Lexus. I know the car will eventually get fixed but the support from Tesla was just awful. I wrote to whoever they told me to, to "complain" and I got a generic response telling me to contact the service center - they never read the note. Oh, and I have a 75D. Apparently, those of you who have a more expensive Tesla have an icon, on your app, that allows you to contact a different division of Tesla with comments that get bumped up the chain much faster! That was pointed out to me by a manager at Tesla who was very apologetic when he saw that I didn't have that option..... Suggestions on who I might contact? Sorry for the very very loooong note!

Mine started rebooting after the latest update in December 2018. The screen would go black every 15-20 min while I am driving or just sitting in my Model X. Service people couldn’t reproduce the bug and returned my vehicle without fixing. Here is another strange thing: my wife had never observed the problem when drove without me. Even when I am a passenger, the screen would reboot like a clock every 15-20 min. Get a clue? :)
Another clue: my iPhone fails to reconnect to the Bluetooth of the car. When I turned off the Bluetooth on the phone, the problem suddenly disappeared!
Apparently, my iPhone is trying to reconnect constantly and Tesla gets annoyed with multiple attempts and reboots the screen.
Try turning off your Bluetooth and see if you have the same problem.