Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is is:

TOUCH SCREEN WITH NAVIGATION AND 1 PREMIUM AUDIO - NORTH AMERICA (1004777-00-M)
CABLE TIE EDGE CLIP (1015212-00-A) 1

Never had premium audio - and nothing seems changed in the audio settings. one REALLY nice thing though - the higher resolution screen is so nice compared to my original MCU from 2013!!!

Aaron

PS - I did have to re-pair my phone with the car - not surprising since it was a different bluetooth module in the new MCU.

Yup I got the same problem my vin is 1955 and I am at 78k miles and I am not sure when these air bubles came so I was also quoted close to 3k as I am out of warranty. I think tesla service should really look at the early vin's and they keep saying this is rare problem. They need to come here and I thought it was only mine till I found this thread. They really need to replace this unit atleast once as a goodwill.

The touchscreen that was replaced a few months ago in our car was a re-manufactured unit. A few weeks ago when I we had our 50,000 mile service I told them the software updates were not installing correctly. I got the car back and I still was getting daily messages every morning "software not able to install." So back to the service center now with 51,500 miles. They replaced the touchscreen again at no charge. This time all settings and memory were wiped clean. Fortunately they never mentioned a charge. Touchscreen number three is also a re-manufactured unit.

I am curious about the cause of this problem because I would prefer to avoid this problem (duh).

Several have speculated that heat-cold cycles could be a factor. Those affected are from various regions of the US (NY, Virginia, SoCal, AZ) so climate does not seem to be an issue.

What about screen brightness setting? It can be adjusted manually from 0-100% and the brightest setting certainly generates more heat. Where those affected keeping the screen brightness on a higher setting? What about a screen protector which might cause greater heat retention? Curious if there are any trends that might benefit those of us interested in avoiding or at least delaying a $2900 repair. I try to keep my screen dim and I have it set so brightness is adjustable with the jog dial on the steering wheel so I can quickly dial it up if needed in glare situations etc. Also no screen protector for me.

I am curious about the cause of this problem because I would prefer to avoid this problem (duh).

Several have speculated that heat-cold cycles could be a factor. Those affected are from various regions of the US (NY, Virginia, SoCal, AZ) so climate does not seem to be an issue.

What about screen brightness setting? It can be adjusted manually from 0-100% and the brightest setting certainly generates more heat. Where those affected keeping the screen brightness on a higher setting? What about a screen protector which might cause greater heat retention? Curious if there are any trends that might benefit those of us interested in avoiding or at least delaying a $2900 repair. I try to keep my screen dim and I have it set so brightness is adjustable with the jog dial on the steering wheel so I can quickly dial it up if needed in glare situations etc. Also no screen protector for me.

I have a screen protector on (and have since I got the car a couple years ago) but I keep the brightness pretty low (30%?) as I don't like too much light off it. Haven't had any issues with the screen. So data point of 1 but the screen protector doesn't seem to cause an issue. And we have plenty of weather cycles here in New England.

This is plain and simple a manufacturing defect, the screen is delaminating. I don't think there's any user behavior that will change the outcome.

IMG_6434.JPG

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
My touch screen started displaying bubbles underneath the glass. My vehicle is no longer under warranty. I've had to repair all 4 failing door handles, a leaking Pano Roof, a leaking hatchback, door seals, rear camera, and now perhaps a failing touch screen. All repairs have been out of pocket. I've already spend well over 6k in repairs. With the car being only 3 years old, I'm starting to question how reliable it will be a few more years from now.

My touch screen started displaying bubbles underneath the glass. My vehicle is no longer under warranty. I've had to repair all 4 failing door handles, a leaking Pano Roof, a leaking hatchback, door seals, rear camera, and now perhaps a failing touch screen. All repairs have been out of pocket. I've already spend well over 6k in repairs. With the car being only 3 years old, I'm starting to question how reliable it will be a few more years from now.

That's intense.

I'm awaiting delivery of my MS but these reports definitely have me thinking about that extended warranty. those that have it are SCs lenient with the $200 deductible? Its already $4000 then it says $200 deductible per visit.

Did you have an issues when the car was under warranty?

I noticed slight vertical bubbling at edge of screen and didn't think much of it at the time and didn't take it to the service center as I am not much of a nit picker. I was in the mid 40k on the odometer range and what a mistake it was to not immediately take it in at that time. The car now has 60k miles and the bubbling has gotten much worse since around 55k miles and it is now oozing some gel glue like substance from the bottom...took me about three weeks to figure out it wasn't my wife or kid spilling something in my console. I guess I'll go to the service center this week to see what this doozy is going to cost. I highly encourage EVERYONE under warranty to MONITOR this very CLOSELY until they are completely out of warranty. Based on my forum reviews, it looks like it is happening to a lot of cars at about the 3 year mark in age. This is a very obvious material defect and will effect most cars produced with the same material!!!

That's intense.
I've done the door handles, headlights and now my screen is oozing gel at the bottom after forming bubbles starting about 15k miles ago and having gotten much worse in last few thousand. So much for the low cost maintenance I was hoping for. I had two BMW 5's in a row with 100k miles each and never paid a cent for a repair. Only routine maintenance. TESLA appears to have a long way to go on manufacturing for precision and durability....

I noticed slight vertical bubbling at edge of screen and didn't think much of it at the time and didn't take it to the service center as I am not much of a nit picker. I was in the mid 40k on the odometer range and what a mistake it was to not immediately take it in at that time. The car now has 60k miles and the bubbling has gotten much worse since around 55k miles and it is now oozing some gel glue like substance from the bottom...took me about three weeks to figure out it wasn't my wife or kid spilling something in my console. I guess I'll go to the service center this week to see what this doozy is going to cost. I highly encourage EVERYONE under warranty to MONITOR this very CLOSELY until they are completely out of warranty. Based on my forum reviews, it looks like it is happening to a lot of cars at about the 3 year mark in age. This is a very obvious material defect and will effect most cars produced with the same material!!!

If you don't mind posting what parts and labor ends up costing, curious what I'm going to have to shell out for this. Upthread $2,900 was mentioned:eek:

If you don't mind posting what parts and labor ends up costing, curious what I'm going to have to shell out for this. Upthread $2,900 was mentioned:eek:
$2900 is still the sticker I have been quoted. I took my touchscreen leak all the way up to regional service manager. I got a "split it with you" deal... Still deciding if its worth half price. No one left to complain to, no one left to care :(

• Informative