Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to an ICE, the Model S has relatively few moving parts - and the most expensive parts, the motor and battery, are protected for 8 years and unlimited miles. And, the rest of the car can be covered for 8 years and up to 100,000 miles with purchase of the extended warranty. I've had my Model S since early 2013 and have over 57K miles on it - and I'm not worried about the long-term reliability and purchased the 8 year maintenance and warranty with my car.

Thus far, on my Acura, my only failures are Bluetooth module ($450), Navigation/DVD unit (sent to Alpine to repair $150), tires (ugh), brake pads (did at home) and now up for power steering rack, shocks, tie rod ends, etc. Nothing related to the drivetrain and all parts that have similar components on the Model S (except brake wear). My car is 10 years old and has 130k miles.

I do want a Model S. It is a significantly nicer & larger (and everything else) car than my Acura no doubt about it. As such, it does cost more. At this time, I can make the clearly listed prices work including fuel savings, but I'm concerned about the unknown costs in the future (and the potential impact on resale prices). I can (and would) do the extended warranty. Would like to lease, but the way the EV incentive increases the residual and the sales tax on the complete value here in Texas makes it hard to justify.

Stories like this make me think I'm more of a Model 3 type person for the moment :) A couple of door handles and a screen is a pretty big chunk of change.

Yeah, it probably has to do with the high heat stress and solar loading on the cabin. It wasn't terribly reassuring that when I first notified Tesla about it two months ago, the tech had me answer a series of questions suggesting engineering is still trying to determine the cause. If the replacement unit lasts less than 3 years like the first one did I won't be terribly happy. Sure hope they beefed up the adhesive that was delaminating.

how is the "high heat stress" any different from any other car?

Just an update, I posted a page back that i had a bubble on my screen and got a call from my local service center regarding it. I give kudos to the Tesla Costa Mesa service center for proactively calling me to schedule a service and take down any other issues for them to fix when I drop it off.

Would love to hear more on out-of-warranty period experiences. Im 2K miles from the extended warranty decision and trying to make the decision. At 30K miles a year it will only last me 18 months. At $2900 (if its the only thing that happens) I'm still ahead of the game on a $4K warranty... Trying to figure out what the gamble looks like

Don't forget the extended warranty has a one time deductible for each item that is out of warranty, not each trip (ie you can't save up everything and then go in and pay a single deductible.)

I'm concerned about the long-term issues as I have purchased extended warranties for all my cars, but none were this expensive and none had deductibles. So at this point, I'm at 30k with a little over a year, making it not worth it for basically 3.5 years of warranty coverage.

Would love to hear more on out-of-warranty period experiences. Im 2K miles from the extended warranty decision and trying to make the decision. At 30K miles a year it will only last me 18 months. At $2900 (if its the only thing that happens) I'm still ahead of the game on a $4K warranty... Trying to figure out what the gamble looks like

FWIW, I got a free LTE upgrade out of this issue. Along with a few other issues which were covered under goodwill.

More bad news about model s reliability. Makes the decision for the extended warranty even harder.

At $4000 + $200 deductible per item I wouldn't recommend it.

I've got this on my 2013 with 65K miles in SoCal. SC quoted me $4600 ahead of time, not sure if it will fall under goodwill, I can only hope... or I'll have bubbles in my touchscreen for as long as I own this car.

Estimate seems high. Let me know what it ends up coming out to.