Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, at $4k plus $200 and the fact that I'll use up 100k miles in about 5 years just makes it too expensive. Feel free to re-tweet elon with the tweet I sent!

https://twitter.com/russwong/status/657203610569216000

Everyone wants the ESA, but the cost is just out there, but the fact that we're expecting things like this out of warranty just shows our concern....
One touchscreen replacement away from break-even? Hmmmm

I don't think it's right to look at it like that. Let's say if your mileage was within limits and you had 10 items go bad, that's an additional $2k just in deductible.

So if the ESA was $6k + $2k, but if the it was 4 door handles, the trunk, the sunroof, the display, and the chair and all those items cost $20k to fix, would it be okay to pay $8k for the ESA?

One touchscreen replacement away from break-even? Hmmmm

They should consider its negative advertising to anyone that rides in your car... It's only a 2013.

At $4000 + $200 deductible per item I wouldn't recommend it.

Estimate seems high. Let me know what it ends up coming out to.

Yeah and mine is in the same location as everyone elses... just right of the traffic and geo icons on a full screen'd map. See this image link from another thread i had started:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98438&d=1445216412

It's likely they had problems with pairing the touchscreen layer to the display - and what was done with the earlier productions models has since been corrected to provide a longer life solution - that works in the hot and cold temperature ranges the displays will see in the cars.

Touchscreen displays have been in cars and relatively hostile environments for many years - the only major change for Tesla is using a much larger display (17") than what has been present in other cars - so I'm confident they can figure this out - and make a long term change that will eliminate this problem.

No pics (silly me), but I visited my family in AZ last month and my cousin, who has a February 2013 build P85, has this issue at multiple corners of his touchscreen. He's still under warranty so he'll be fine, but just another data point to this thread: early build + subject to the extreme heat of AZ.

I'm also having this issue on a 2013 Model S. Noticed the small bubbles a couple months ago and they have unfortunately evolved into increasingly widening and lengthening streaks along the sides of the screen. To make it worse..I now have a strange sticky gel leaking out the bottom of the screen. No idea whether this stuff is toxic..but it definitely ruins anything it drips on. I'm unfortunately out of warranty as well...50,100 miles if you can believe it. Still frustrated they weren't willing to make some accommodation for an owner that's been with them since the beginning..though understand at some point
IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG
customers would become more of a commodity. Wondering if this might become a recall issue if it happens to enough people.

Wondering if this might become a recall issue if it happens to enough people.

They wouldn't recall, but rather just extend the warranty for the display. I just had my 2012's LCD replaced under the 4/50 warranty. Those of us in SoCal may want to also watch out for water intrusion into the hatch from the tail lights. My 2012 had leaky seals and my wife's 2013 is now leaking with the recent rain we've had. When the hatch is raised, water would pour down from within the hatch through lift gate button.

Got my touch screen replaced today--I am at 47,000 miles. It led to another issue--my dash lacewood broke somewhere during the replacement so they also replaced all the wood inlay. Of course lacewood is no longer available, but before it was discontinued they tried a darker version than what was installed in the early cars. They only have the darker version in stock. So for it to match they had to replace all my wood inlay including the center cup holders. I have not seen it in daylight yet. The service center seemed very concerned about making the change. I may not have autopilot, but I do have lacewood!

The touch screen looks much better. I lost a few settings such as our profiles and bluetooth pairing. I also had them replace one of the day time running lights (actually entire headlight) since it was partially out.

Soon I enter the unknown--out of warranty pay out of pocket.

Got my touch screen replaced today--I am at 47,000 miles. It led to another issue--my dash lacewood broke somewhere during the replacement so they also replaced all the wood inlay. Of course lacewood is no longer available, but before it was discontinued they tried a darker version than what was installed in the early cars. They only have the darker version in stock. So for it to match they had to replace all my wood inlay including the center cup holders. I have not seen it in daylight yet. The service center seemed very concerned about making the change. I may not have autopilot, but I do have lacewood!

The touch screen looks much better. I lost a few settings such as our profiles and bluetooth pairing. I also had them replace one of the day time running lights (actually entire headlight) since it was partially out.

Soon I enter the unknown--out of warranty pay out of pocket.
Strange you lost your settings. The service centers are now able to replace the display only, and not the entire computer system. This was a cost measure, to avoid needing to have a $3,000 repair bill to replace a touch screen.

They wouldn't recall, but rather just extend the warranty for the display. I just had my 2012's LCD replaced under the 4/50 warranty. Those of us in SoCal may want to also watch out for water intrusion into the hatch from the tail lights. My 2012 had leaky seals and my wife's 2013 is now leaking with the recent rain we've had. When the hatch is raised, water would pour down from within the hatch through lift gate button.

I have this too!!! I thought I was crazy, though I'll gladly trade a touch screen fix for a leaky hatch.

Some of the settings remained such as the radio presets, and the various toggle settings under the controls. The new lacewood looks good in the daylight and I am sure glad this extra work was done under warranty.

All -

Finally got my MCU replaced today. Worried that I would get a remanufactured unit that could potentially develop the same problem I was pleased to find out that I got a brand new recently manufactured MCU with 4g (I had previously purchased and had the 4g module installed in my old MCU). I do have the extended warranty on my car (almost over @ 82k miles) and was charged the $200 deductible. I was surprised to find out that equipment replaced during service carries only a 12 month, 12k mile warranty (less than a year for me!) - so here's hoping I don't encounter this problem again!

To my pleasant surprise, contrary to what has been discussed here, my odometer data made it over in the data transfer from my old MCU!!!

Aaron

IMG_7653.jpg