Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchup paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a tiny scrape on my rear bumper...maybe about 1mm x 8mm. Too small to get the elaborate official Tesla touch up kit.
I could probably just use red fingernail polish to fix it...just need to find the closest color.
Any other solutions that are about as cheap?

I have the Tesla kit and I don't know why you wouldn't get it. Chances are there'll be more dings coming. I've successfully repaired 3 hood dings and one trunk ding on my car with the one kit. It's easy to use even for small scratches. Having the rubber squeegee thing and the blending compound helps make it fill in the chips and scratches really well.

Just get the Dr. ColorChip kit. It's the same stuff that Tesla offers but their packaging gives you more paint than the Tesla kit.

Are you seriously considering only spending ~$5 for a chip repair on a car that costs at minimum 35k? Don't be a cheapskate. If you really don't wanna shell out for the Dr. ColorChip kit, just don't do anything to the scratch at all.

I'm at the next step. I bought the Dr. Colorchip for my M3 and so far I've been too intimidated/lazy to apply it.

I'm guessing its easy to use multiple times?

Depending on the chip size it's sometimes necessary to use it multiple times. It's a breeze to actually apply it (speaking from experience), just time consuming if you have a lot of chips.

Depending on the chip size it's sometimes necessary to use it multiple times. It's a breeze to actually apply it (speaking from experience), just time consuming if you have a lot of chips.
100% agree. I’ve used it to fill in a large scratch on a car, took several layers but I was able to get the scratch down to “hardly noticeable”. Make sure you clean the tiny brushes well and the kit should last you quite a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Just get the Dr. ColorChip kit. It's the same stuff that Tesla offers but their packaging gives you more paint than the Tesla kit.

Are you seriously considering only spending ~$5 for a chip repair on a car that costs at minimum 35k? Don't be a cheapskate. If you really don't wanna shell out for the Dr. ColorChip kit, just don't do anything to the scratch at all.

Yes. It isn't about the cost...I just don't think it is worth the elaborate box in the kit...and I'm going to only be using about a fraction of a drop of paint for something you can barely see. It looks like the edge of a dime was pressed against the rear bumper and you can just see the black plastic.

Yes. It isn't about the cost...I just don't think it is worth the elaborate box in the kit...and I'm going to only be using about a fraction of a drop of paint for something you can barely see. It looks like the edge of a dime was pressed against the rear bumper and you can just see the black plastic.

If you can see the base layers or the plastic through the paint, that's not a small scratch. That's a really deep scratch. Buy the kit. Otherwise, I hear Sharpie has some great colors you could use :p