Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch capabilities leakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y seems to have no receptacle or attachments, or wiring, for a tow hitch add-on. There is space for one with the removable cover. Adding it to the current Model Y’s being delivered may end up being a bit more involved.

Keep in mind that the future towing capability could be just for Europeans - frequently a car sold both here and Europe that is mechanically the same (as far as anything that would impact towing) often has a much higher tow limit in Europe. For example, a Subaru Forester there might have a tow limit of 4500-5000 lbs, where as here it could be something like 2000 lbs. In some cases, cars here don't support towing at all but over there it might be 1500-2000 lbs (identical vehicle less steering wheel on the "wrong" side, etc).

I think it has something to do with their restrictive, well-enforced speed limits for tow vehicles.

Keep in mind that the future towing capability could be just for Europeans - frequently a car sold both here and Europe that is mechanically the same (as far as anything that would impact towing) often has a much higher tow limit in Europe. For example, a Subaru Forester there might have a tow limit of 4500-5000 lbs, where as here it could be something like 2000 lbs. In some cases, cars here don't support towing at all but over there it might be 1500-2000 lbs (identical vehicle less steering wheel on the "wrong" side, etc).

I think it has something to do with their restrictive, well-enforced speed limits for tow vehicles.
The context of the leaked documents suggests this is for North America. (Specific mention of Canada towing rules.)

The Model Y seems to have no receptacle or attachments, or wiring, for a tow hitch add-on..
On the Model 3's, it appears that Tesla began to add a wiring harness that seems likely to support a trailer light module around the same time that they began supplying rear lower valence covers with a built in access panel for a hitch. This wiring harness has 3 conductors, one is ground, one is 12 volts, and the other appears to be a data line of some type. So you can not simply wire a trailer connector to it, you need a Tesla trailer light control module to plug into it, the control module will then drive the actual trailer light connector. Unfortunately, Tesla is not selling the modules in the US.

In short, Tesla could very well be including the wiring harness on the Y. Accessing it requires removing the rear bumper cover, which is also necessary to install the hitch itself. Once Tesla decides to support towing in the US, I'd assume that they would make the light control module available here too.

Might also be that the European versions of cars are often diesels which are better at towing.

Good find...

I have a tow hitch kit from my totaled Model X - the X manual has the same instructions seen on the leaked feature...

I wonder if the tow kit from X work on the Y.
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “tow kit”; do you mean the hitch that is bolted to the rear bumper (under the bumper cover)? If so, I am confident that the hitch attachment points on the Y will be the same as the X.

At some point in the future their will be a tow option for the Y that can be selected when placing an order for the vehicle.

So... It also says 88 kph max. That's a joke. There is no such requirement in NS that I know of.
Apparently Tesla got that wrong. Some Canadian provinces limit speed while towing to 80kph but many do not. See Trailer Speed Limits Motor Laws USA And Canada

Alberta
100 km/h or as posted.

British Columbia
80 km/h on provincial highways, and 50 km/h in populated areas, or as posted.

Manitoba
90 km/h in rural areas and 50 km/h in urban areas, unless otherwise posted.

New Brunswick
80 km/h unless otherwise posted.

Newfoundland and Labrador
90 km/h and posted 100 km/h.

Northwest Territories
90 km/h or as posted.

Nova Scotia
80 km/h or as posted.

Nunavut
N/A.

Ontario
Same as passenger cars.

Prince Edward Island
80 km/h unless posted otherwise.

Quebec
Same speed as passenger cars, or as posted.

Saskatchewan
80 km/h unless posted otherwise.

Yukon
Same as for passenger cars.