Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch & FSD price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MY White, AWD, 19” wheels, FSD one year ago. Got an invite right as factory was closing but did not complete info process as I told Tesla that I did not expect deliveries this soon and my money was in a CD that wouldn’t come due until Mid May. I had also expected that a tow hitch would be available even though it wasn’t available as an option a year ago. I have heard that I could talk to Tesla and get them to add the hitch to the order without incurring the overall price increase (beyond the hitch $1k). Question is, I would now like to save the 7k and not get FSD but that results in about 2k overall price increase so only save 5k if done with the website. Will Tesla remove FSD without changing the overall price similar to the hitch?

If you make any changes to your order (ie. adding/removing anything) you're going to get the updated current prices for the car/your configuration. If you ordered the car a year ago your FSD should have been quoted at either $5k or $6k (depending when you ordered). FSD didn't cost $7k until Nov. of last year. So, if you remove it now, and your car price goes up $2k, you're saving the difference between the increase in car price and the cost of FSD (~$3k-4k). Regarding the hitch, you can add it after delivery so I'd just do that if I were you.

Wait until the order gets into the state where you've filled in all details (owners info, how to pay etc.). At that point a button appears to manage FSD (but you cannot change anything else in the vehicle config). While I did not make any change, I was able to deselect FSD for the original price.

However, that's only for FSD, adding the hitch will certainly update you to current pricing.

Wait until the order gets into the state where you've filled in all details (owners info, how to pay etc.). At that point a button appears to manage FSD (but you cannot change anything else in the vehicle config). While I did not make any change, I was able to deselect FSD for the original price.

However, that's only for FSD, adding the hitch will certainly update you to current pricing.

Are you able to toggle the FSD after securing the loan?

Probably not be able to game your loan amount in this way.

Usually when you request a re-configuration, Tesla will also reset the pricing to current.

Also, If you were only charged $5,000 0r $6,000 for FSD when you ordered, you will not get $7,000 off your old price.

Reactions: frankvb
I just found out that my February 2, 2020 reservation got changed to April 17 when I added the towing hitch. Bummed, but if a new order is 8-12 weeks, it should be coming by July.

The order date on the order document always shows the last date anything was changed. So if you update your insurance or payment options, it will show that date. Your reservation number remains unchanged, and that's how they base the pecking order.

Last edited: