Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow mode for Car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to use a 3 bucket system. Two of the buckets were for a two stage rinse.

Then I realized I was being an idiot and that a 1 bucket system guaranteed I'd never have to re-use a microfiber mit after rinsing it and I'd save water to boot.

I use a single bucket with a dozen microfiber mits. I wash one panel with each mitt and then throw it in the dirty mitt pile. No dirty mitt ever touches the bucket with the clean mitts in soapy water so there's no chance of reusing a mitt that hasn't been properly rinsed.

26K miles later and I'm still swirl free even under a 10 watt led paint quality light.
Same here but I use 3 buckets and dedicated mits for top, bottom and wheels. No swirls yet - knock on wood. But I use these guys when I'm pinched for time or my back hurts. I, of course, do a better job than they do but it's a 2 hour effort :).

Same here but I use 3 buckets and dedicated mits for top, bottom and wheels. No swirls yet - knock on wood. But I use these guys when I'm pinched for time or my back hurts. I, of course, do a better job than they do but it's a 2 hour effort :).

Don't ever wash the mitts you use on the wheels with the ones you use on the paint but since you said you have no swirls, I assume you already know that.

My point was rather than using 3 buckets and 1 mitt, I now use one bucket and a dozen mitts. No need to waste rinse water and the bucket with fresh mitts only needs to be filled enough to saturate all 12 mitts.

Don't ever wash the mitts you use on the wheels with the ones you use on the paint but since you said you have no swirls, I assume you already know that.

My point was rather than using 3 buckets and 1 mitt, I now use one bucket and a dozen mitts. No need to waste rinse water and the bucket with fresh mitts only needs to be filled enough to saturate all 12 mitts.
No, I said I have dedicated mits. Wheels has its own. Bucket 1 is the wash bucket w/soap, bucket 2 is mit rinse bucket, bucket 3 is just where I toss the mitts as I'm finished with each section. They soak there for easier cleanup afterwards. My system is the classic "junkman" method and it works well for me. No swirls.