Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow mode for Car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a conversation about this very topic with the Tesla service guy when he came out last week to check on a
problem with my new car. Apparently the "official" technique is to put it in neutral, but there's a pretty major problem
with that: after a certain, fairly short, amount of time the car will automatically put itself into Park, which can be real
bummer when you're being dragged along by a chain drive! Tow mode seems like generally a better solution, except
for one thing you need to be aware of: when you get to the end of the car wash you need to get it out of tow mode in order
to drive it away, and that takes a moment.

From the manual (emphasis added):
"Note: In Tow mode, Model S does not shift into a driving gear. To cancel Tow mode, shift into Park or touch Tow mode again."

Yea, learned this the hard way. Put in neutral, get out went back into park. Try the same thing again because i'm insane, same thing :)
As soon as i got home I opened up the manual and figured TOW MODE is probably the only way short of sitting in the car.
Then when it's done you need to jump ahead of the car wash guy and drive it out, which is good because i don't let them dry it anyway. ;)

I use a particular carwash at a detailing place in Port Townsend. Great results.

I use neutral and have had no problems EXCEPT the one time I released the seatbelt. I haven't tested it again, but this is what seems to put it in park. No damage, but an anxious few seconds getting it back into neutral.

In the winter I do take my car to a local car wash. It was recommended by the local service center. The car wash has one of their guys who is familiar with Tesla sit in the car as it goes through the line - no extra charge, but I do tip well.

That said I prefer to hand wash - automatic wash misses spots. But in the winter there really isn't much choice.

The detailers around here offer quality two bucket hand washes for about $25.

I used to use a 3 bucket system. Two of the buckets were for a two stage rinse.

Then I realized I was being an idiot and that a 1 bucket system guaranteed I'd never have to re-use a microfiber mit after rinsing it and I'd save water to boot.

I use a single bucket with a dozen microfiber mits. I wash one panel with each mitt and then throw it in the dirty mitt pile. No dirty mitt ever touches the bucket with the clean mitts in soapy water so there's no chance of reusing a mitt that hasn't been properly rinsed.

26K miles later and I'm still swirl free even under a 10 watt led paint quality light.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy