Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package worth buying for one time use and then never again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up my MYP a few days ago without tow hitch. I'm planning on moving from Boston to Florida this year and was going to use my Y to tow a small u-haul trailer with some things. That is the only time I ever expect to tow anything as I don't own a camper or anything similar in size.

Do you guys think it's worth it to get the tow package through Tesla for that one trip, or should I just go with third party options (seems to be about $1000 less than going through Tesla).

Maybe consider one of those POD type units instead?
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not really feasible for my partner and I since we don't have that much stuff. It's just a mattress, 65-inch TV, possibly a small couch, and then just some small bedside tables. That's why I figured towing with the Y would be the easiest/most cost effective solution while also allowing us to have our furniture ready with us right when get to to our new apartment.

Understood. That said you may find other reasons for a hitch, you may even buy a small trailer for trips to the garden store or maybe a get a bike rack. If I were adding a hitch to my Tesla I would go with theirs; if there are any issues you will have one throat to choke. Looks like it is $1,300 installed.

Might be even cheaper to just rent a UHaul or other truck, or borrow a friend's truck and drive it one way.

Otherwise, hitch mount bike rack, ski rack, hitch mount cooler rack, boat...

We pulled a UHaul from Michigan to Idaho. It was fine. Plan to use the hitch for a lot of other things, however.

Reactions: house9 and Y_tho
So I just picked up my MYP a few days ago without tow hitch. I'm planning on moving from Boston to Florida this year and was going to use my Y to tow a small u-haul trailer with some things. That is the only time I ever expect to tow anything as I don't own a camper or anything similar in size.

Do you guys think it's worth it to get the tow package through Tesla for that one trip, or should I just go with third party options (seems to be about $1000 less than going through Tesla).
at the time of order, I think it made sense to buy from Tesla (I did) for lowest hassle, warranty, resale value. I got it merely for the potential to carry bikes as I never liked the roof rack method.

But in your situation, having already received it, and only intending to use once, seems more cost effective to go 3rd party. Price the cost and installation, unless you're willing and confident to do yourself. Tesla's route is 1300 installed. I think that may be a reduction - I thought it was 1500 for a post purchase install.

As I understand it, the Tesla version comes with a 7-pin trailer connector, which supports trailer brakes. Brakes are required when a trailer weights more than 3,000 lbs. (by law) and is recommended by Telsa when towing more than 1,650 pounds. Keep this in mind if you go to a 3rd party. And when you rent the trailer (needs a 7-pin connector, or adapter, even if brakes are not needed)

Reactions: RNHurt and bd7349
Might be even cheaper to just rent a UHaul or other truck, or borrow a friend's truck and drive it one way.

Otherwise, hitch mount bike rack, ski rack, hitch mount cooler rack, boat...

We pulled a UHaul from Michigan to Idaho. It was fine. Plan to use the hitch for a lot of other things, however.
That would work, but then that would be significantly more in gas + the cost of having to get the other car shipped here (we have a Y and 3). Since we're trying to minimize costs (I have a good amount of free supercharger miles on my Y) that's what got me thinking of just going with getting tow hitch installed.

As I understand it, the Tesla version comes with a 7-pin trailer connector, which supports trailer brakes. Brakes are required when a trailer weights more than 3,000 lbs. (by law) and is recommended by Telsa when towing more than 1,650 pounds. Keep this in mind if you go to a 3rd party. And when you rent the trailer (needs a 7-pin connector, or adapter, even if brakes are not needed)
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of any of that so I'll definitely be keeping it in mind.

at the time of order, I think it made sense to buy from Tesla (I did) for lowest hassle, warranty, resale value. I got it merely for the potential to carry bikes as I never liked the roof rack method.

But in your situation, having already received it, and only intending to use once, seems more cost effective to go 3rd party. Price the cost and installation, unless you're willing and confident to do yourself. Tesla's route is 1300 installed. I think that may be a reduction - I thought it was 1500 for a post purchase install.
Only thing I'm not sure about is how much it'd cost to install a third party one, and I do have $200 in Tesla gift cards to put towards the official one if I decide to go with that one. If the install cost is significant it might just make sense to have Tesla do it since that comes with other benefits too (tow mode mainly).

Reactions: RNHurt and DrGriz

Well if you get tow package, you can get a bike rack For the car and enjoy am occasional nice drive somewhere for some bike riding.

I don't know if I'd buy it for one time use. I have the Tesla hitch on my Y SR RWD and have used it many times.

When towing a 5x9 U-Haul closed trailer, I was getting about 300Wh/km which is about double what I normally get.

I've done plenty of hauling with a utility trailer too and just bought a hitch bike rack. The towing capacity was the main reason I went Y and not 3, so for me it was a given. If I wasn't using my vehicle for hauling, I'm not sure i would have paid Tesla's asking price for the hitch myself.

The 7 pin to 4 pin adapter was only about $15 for me so that's really a minor expense if you're buying the Tesla hitch.

Reactions: EdSt and DrGriz