Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Truck Already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new Model 3 Friday. Driving home on the highway today and BOOM, two flat tires on the passenger side front from what I assume was was a nice big pothole. Tow truck came and transported her to Tesla. Praying that the rims aren't bent and that there are no road rashes on them! :mad::mad:

Didn't even think it was possible until today. Never seen anything like it before.

Happened to a friend of mine in a Nissan Versa. There was a jagged road edge and she dropped both wheels off the side after being forced off the road by an oncoming car. Completely blew both tires. I had to get a flat tow race car trailer from a friend to transport the car down to a tire shop since we only had one spare. ;-)

So much for Elon's recent tweet about Tesla's service. Car was towed to Tesla last night. Today Tesla tells me they don't have the tires in stock and they don't have any loaner cars. Not to mention $300 per tire after I just spent $60k on the car on Friday. Lovely start to Tesla ownership....

So much for Elon's recent tweet about Tesla's service. Car was towed to Tesla last night. Today Tesla tells me they don't have the tires in stock and they don't have any loaner cars. Not to mention $300 per tire after I just spent $60k on the car on Friday. Lovely start to Tesla ownership....

Tires are very expensive these days. New cars don’t come with road hazard insurance either. Ever.

Try discount tire. Like any car, you can get tires anywhere.

Your choice if road hazard insurance is a good deal. It’s basically an insurance product. It makes money for the tire company. Some win and some lose.

You can drive to discount tire with a new car and buy road hazard for the tires.

I think his intention is to improve and change how service is carried out, I don’t think he meant it would be instantaneous immediately after his tweet.

Did they arrange for another car for you of some sort though, your post implies they didn’t get you a car at all. ?

I’m not sure the price you paid for the car would have anything to do with the cost to replace the tires. I’m pretty sure it’s not Tesla’s fault you popped two tires, and while it totally sucks that your new car is already in the shop, it sounds like your blaming this whole inconvenience on Tesla.
I’m not sure they are at fault for this break down.

It would have been nice if they had stock of the tires, that likely would have been quicker, but you still may have needed a loaner anyway, if the service centre was busy.

Hang in there, I’m sure you’ll have the car back soon.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think his intention is to improve and change how service is carried out, I don’t think he meant it would be instantaneous immediately after his tweet.

Did they arrange for another car for you of some sort though, your post implies they didn’t get you a car at all. ?

I’m not sure the price you paid for the car would have anything to do with the cost to replace the tires. I’m pretty sure it’s not Tesla’s fault you popped two tires, and while it totally sucks that your new car is already in the shop, it sounds like your blaming this whole inconvenience on Tesla.
I’m not sure they are at fault for this break down.

It would have been nice if they had stock of the tires, that likely would have been quicker, but you still may have needed a loaner anyway, if the service centre was busy.

Hang in there, I’m sure you’ll have the car back soon.

You're correct on everything. As you probably noticed, my post was more out of frustration than any rational blame on Tesla in particular. That being said, one would think that brand new tires could withstand a single pothole on a major highway that is traversed by thousands of cars every day without issue.

You're correct on everything. As you probably noticed, my post was more out of frustration than any rational blame on Tesla in particular. That being said, one would think that brand new tires could withstand a single pothole on a major highway that is traversed by thousands of cars every day without issue.

@3Twin,

Did they get you an enterprise? That’s who Blue Ash uses....about a 10 minute drive from the SC. Where were you when you hit the pothole...71? Are you ordering tires or are they? If they’re aftermarket you can have them sent directly to the SC for install I believe. Best of luck getting the new rubber mounted. Hopefully it’s efficient and quick.

Ski

Picked up my new Model 3 Friday. Driving home on the highway today and BOOM, two flat tires on the passenger side front from what I assume was was a nice big pothole. Tow truck came and transported her to Tesla. Praying that the rims aren't bent and that there are no road rashes on them! :mad::mad:

Is that the new 6-wheeler Model 3? ;)

Sorry about the flats.

Reactions: 3Twin
@3Twin,

Did they get you an enterprise? That’s who Blue Ash uses....about a 10 minute drive from the SC. Where were you when you hit the pothole...71? Are you ordering tires or are they? If they’re aftermarket you can have them sent directly to the SC for install I believe.

Ski

Yeah, they just offered Enterprise. And it was 71N right at the BMW Store exit. The SC has ordered the tires, which were the stock 19s. If you're in Cincy watch out for that pothole!o_O

Didn't even think it was possible until today. Never seen anything like it before.

Happened to me once when borrowing in my business partners Genesis G80. 19". 2 or 3 other cars pulled off in same lot I was in with flats. That was a killer pothole. Staggered tire on that car. Had to spend a day, drive an hour weather to get the one last tire in NE that fit the front tires and have my tried guy 1.5 hours north get the one last tire that fit the rears. That car had some damn weird tire sizes...

That Genesis got about 12 flats in 3 years and my Audi (18" rims) probably 4 or 5 flats in 3 years. I am super concious of pot holes, but drive a lot, in any weather, all over NE.

So spare tire options :) I am doing a full 5th wheel snow tire in trunk. Bye bye trunk... Was thinking a MOAB basket on roof with Jerry cans for effect :)